JRock

I'm Done.

I have been wrestling with this decision for sometime now and have finally decided to leave skydiving.
My fear of what can happen to you(ie. Broken neck, paralyzed.. etc) outweighs the enjoyment I get out of the sport. I love skydiving and finally was really confident with my skills(Thank you Mr. T.J. Landgren for teaching me those skills). However, I came to the realization that no matter how confident and focussed I can be, someone else could mess me up. I know you can get hurt in a car as well... let's not get into that argument. We all know this sport is dangerous. I am just no longer willing to accept the pricetag of what can happen for the fun. I have seen too much and heard too much in the last two years to keep jumping.

It was comforting to know all my goods friends in the sport asked me if I was still gonna come out and go to some boogies. Which is nice to know I am fun to party with at least. B| Hell yes I am going to boogies and hangin out. I am leaving skydiving not my friends.

Advice.... I only have 137 jumps, but I have a lot of common sense. Don't be in such a rush to be on the Pro Swooping Tour or the next Freefly Champion. You don't have to get there in 200 jumps. Push yourself but at an acceptable limit to your range of skills. GET COACHING!!! If you think after AFF you learned all you needed to know... Guess what? You didn't. I hope more DZ's adopt the method that Skydive Chicago does. It is about 18 jumps to graduate.

I respect your decision. It is a personal one that I'll not comment on; however....

Since you are planning to come to boogies and such maybe we can recruit you to help us with the St. Patrick's Boogie in Dublin next March. That way we can keep you out of trouble until time to play. Let me know if you are interested.

Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I gotta respect your decision as well...

Participation in a high risk activity
should always be given a lot of thought.

A "Cost / Benefit analysis" so to speak.

I heard an instructor say to his class once:

"When you leave the door, you must know that everything
you are or will be...your dreams, hopes for the future...everything
is on the line.
In the equation are not only your abilities...
and what you will do, but also what someone else might possibility do TO you.
Skydiving is a wonderful, life altering experience...
But one must ask themselves every time they jump, if the possible cost of that experience is more than they are
really ready to pay."

I have to admire you for sticking with and seeing what it's all about,
and making an informed intelligent decision.

You have BTDT...and will always be a Skydiver!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If I recall a certain conversation...you had a kuhl 100th jump, but didn't get the pie and hymn.:o So when I see you at a future boogie, you're still getting the traditional 100th celebration:D

I respect your decision as well and wish you all the best.

JRock... I have nothing but respect for you man. You will always be a good friend and a skydiver to me. I hope you still come visit us at Tecumseh and.... THROW YOUR PANTIES ON THE STAGE.

Retire from the sport, but please don't abandon us. You will be missed. Love yah bro. ;)B|

we had a conversation at the DZ around 11 years ago about what we would do if we ever gave up jumping, the closest thing i could come up was fight a great white with a butter knife. nothing but respect for your decision, when my daughter was 2 I quit i had a little over 300 jumps at the time and had to make a big decision, was i willing to not see her again, and the answer was no, shes eight and the answer is still no but I love this sport to much 6 years away was to much so I went and got current 3 weeks ago and my rig will be in this week.

skydiving is like licking honey from a thorn!!!:o
gthomasphoto.com

You know James, I will be facing that same decision in a year or so, when my doc gives me the all clear. I honestly don't know which way it will go for me.

I admire your decision because you made it for what was best for you. Hope you don't leave dz.com.

Good luck with everything,

have finally decided to leave skydiving

The fact that you are posting your decision online suggests otherwise or you would have left quietly without the dramatic "goodbye"

Your profile states that you have 137 jumps.
137 times you were willing to sacrifice everything in order to skydive. You didn't care about the risks before but now, for reasons that are not quit clear you just can't handle the drama.

What is it that you are so afraid of losing after so many jumps?

You claim to be "really confident with my skills", so why are you so afraid you will end up with a broken neck and paralyzed?

I am just no longer willing to accept the pricetag of what can happen for the fun.

Yet you will accept the pricetag for a life less lived.

Think about all the time and effort you have invested into the sport. Then ask yourself what really went wrong.

I respect your descision 100%. The life experience is a sumation of decisions of which, it seems, you have made your's with a viable premise.

If I let my mind wonder and truly think about what can happen to me as a result of skydivng, these thoughts can get the very best of me. Realistically, as you have already thought about, anything can happen. It's those times, I balance my legitiment fears with agressive risk managment.

There are no garuantees in life - in anything - all we can do is deligently manage the risks and enjoy the ride.

There's much, much more to life than skydiving..................good luck with your decision.

didn't care about the risks before but now, for reasons that are not quit clear you just can't handle the drama.

For those of us who know Jrock, the reasons are clear. With all the friends he has on dzcom, i'm sure it's easier to make a post about leaving rather than PM or IM every single one of his friends.

Don't be a stranger Jrock. Come back when/if you're ready. *hugs*

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hey brother, I completely respect your decision. If the rewards don't outweigh the risks, there's no reason you should be up there. However, as Liz said, we still expect you to come hang out with us at Tecumseh and at a boogie here and there. B|

And one more thing.....

Those panties? You know what to do with 'em. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Think about all the time and effort you have invested into the sport. Then ask yourself what really went wrong.

Oh shut up.

I've been jumping for over 5 years, and I the thought of quitting the sport goes through my head on a fairly regular basis. "A life less lived"?! Bullshit. Do we need to have this discussion again? There's people all over the world that are leading more of a 'life' than I am who don't jump. There's more to life than skydiving - if you haven't picked up on that, sucks to be you. You don't know what's changed in his life, or why if took him awhile to reach this decision - maybe it just isn't 'fun' anymore for him. At least not enough for the risks invovled. Yes, believe it or not, people get tired of skydiving - it's not the end-all be-all activity of the universe.

You're a skydiver, get over yourself.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

James,

I'm sorry I was busy this weekend and couldn't talk. (I saw the missed calls on my phone). I think you're making the right decision for you right now, and if you change your mind, you can always come back. :)) But you'd still better be at the Freefly Festival this October! You can't miss that party for anything! B|

Kelly

Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll Troll

You still haging out there Zippy?:S

At least James can 'Walk the Walk"
not just 'Talk the Talk"!!!:)
Wanna get a REAL life?!:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well, there's no such thing as an ex-skydiver. Besides, you can always come home (to the DZ). :)

p.s. Can we try to stay on topic, here? OK, the guy is a troll, let's not let him hijack yet another thread. Trolls live for hijacked threads. be smarter than the troll...
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I want to thank everyone.

I was on the way to a DZ Saturday and when I was buying beer... I looked up and saw the canopies.
It was hard to believe I won't be doing it anymore.

And Mouth.... Yes I will help you and Spence with the Dublin boogie.B|

The "Is it worth it? question is obviously a personal one, with no "right" or "wrong" answer. For each of us, where we come out depends on a lot of factors.

JRock, I'm curious how old you are. This is because I've been thinking about how our assessment of risks changes as we get older. I find that maybe I'm willing to take risks now that I would not have assumed when I was younger. Some of the stuff that can happen is a tragedy at any age, but especially for someone who is younger and has more of their life ahead of them, so to speak. Does that resonate with anyone?