DrunkMonkey

Military Veterans

***When did you know it was time to get out?

When I got close to ETSing and realized how fed up i was and my heart not being in it. Political positions will do that to you.

***How did you handle the transition?

I handled it just fine. When I got out in 1994 i was given 3 weeks permissive TDY to find a job and a school

***What were the difficult parts of leaving/entering the real world? Easy parts?

The difficult for me was transitioning from a military bearing to a civilian bearing. Still to this day when I speak with a boss or someone i respect, i speak to them at parade rest.

***Would you go back in, given the chance?

If i was given the chance to "soldier" i'd pay them to let me back in. If it was to play politics and kiss ass to anyone with a bar, leaf, bird, etc.. FORGET IT!

\

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

When did you know it was time to get out?

No longer had the drive and passion for what I was suppose to be doing...
11B2V Airborne Infantry Ranger

How did you handle the transition?

Tried out college, was scared more of that than being sent into combat or falling out of an airplane...

What were the difficult parts of leaving/entering the real world? Easy parts?

Learning to depend on yourself as the soul provider and no longer having uncle sam as a financial crutch...

Easy part... Ability to out drink any student on campus...

Would you go back in, given the chance?

Came close to doing so...
Lost interest in my job as a researcher, missed the status I had as a Ranger and the commradery in the unit...
I don't miss the micro management I found in many places with the quick turn over rate of officers and senior enlisted. SF was the one place I enjoyed where the people wanted to be there. But found there were too many chiefs not enough indians depending on who you were with. All in all there are a lot of egos to deal with in the service same as skydiving...

Good luck to all those who are deep in the adventure of it...

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I statrted thinking about it when they sent over 20% of my OAC class to Recruiting Command... Finalized my decision when I delt with too many officers who were likely to get me killed if we ever went to war...

No problems at all... I'd spent 2 years living and working in the civilian world... one day I was in uniform, the next day I was not.

The hardest part was getting my CoC to allow me the time to transition I was entitled to... a little bitch slap from the IG will even make an O-6 stand up straight...

I doubt it.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Military Veterans

WHAT????? :ph34r:

When the little stick had a blue '+' on it...:D -That was a planned pregnancy during my last 3 months before I ETS'd. ;)

Honestly, I felt kinda lonely for a little bit...[:/]

Tough parts = finding money. :( Easy parts = NOT doing Pt every morning. :P

Nope. I'm not conforming to military physical standards anymore (AKA I got reeeeally chub-chub. :$) And I have a family to think about first. If I didn't have a family and was in the condition I was in when I was active, then eh...mehbe. As long as I could guarantee I wouldn't be put into some BS position that any stupid monkey could do...I need to know that my strengths are being put to good use.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I knew it was time to get out when my fiancee meant more to me than my unit. I loved them, but I love her more and don't want to lose her. Raising a family in the military is difficult, espcially in combat units.

The transition was pretty easy. I had saved up some leave, so I had two months paid vacation when I got out to relax and find a job, but I do wish that I had put away more money and applied to college while I was still active. It was hard to adjust ot the fact that nobody in the civilian world has any discipline or sense of honor or selfless service. The office politics and back stabbing out here is ridiculous. With the training and attitude the military gives you, however, it makes it a lot easier to put up with things like that.

Would I go back in? Absolutely. I miss it every single day, I still talk to the guys in my unit, although not many are still where I left them. Theres some days I seriously consider quitting my job and reenlisting. But then I think about all the BS involved, and the lack of faith I had in some of the leadership, and I stay where I am.

Mike

I was an infantry type that had to go back and fly. Big mistake. The writing was on the wall. Flew Koreans around as all the American ground forces had gone home. I quickly developed an attitude with all the dope and race problems. Came back from R and R and put in my resignation.

The transition was a little rough. Although I got additional ratings, work was scarce. Finally a company out of Redhill, UK hired me and I went to the Arabian Gulf to fly helicopters. Been doing it since then.

I did eventually get in the reserve to fly medevacs. They told me the most dangerous thing was nurse bite. Got called up in the IRR for Desert Storm but never left Fort Sam Houston.

Would I go back now? Yes.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

waaaaay to much political BS, I still really really enjoyed my job, but as i moved up i was getting to do it less and less and spending more time dealing with stupid soldier issues that shouldnt exist. The military should be a dedicated service that people are competing to be accepted in, not a place for the bottom of the barrel to hide.... our society does not give them the respect, or the pay they deserve

easy. I had a job waiting for me, and so much accrued leave they had to pay me for, i didnt have to work for the 2 months all of the paperwork took...

The difficult for me was transitioning from a military bearing to a civilian bearing. Still to this day when I speak with a boss or someone i respect, i speak to them at parade rest.

you too? my uncle had to slap me on the back of the head a few times so i wasnt at attention in my sisters wedding photos... of course he was doing it to remind himself and most of the guests as well.. my grandfather joked that the uniforms would have outnumbered the party dresses if everyone (females included) who could have worn them did, and my niece had complained the year before that everyone looked so stiff in all her photos..... being raised in the military, going in wasnt that difficult at all... I didnt know "Front & Center" was a military command until my first promotion.. I thought i was in deep shit :D

No way.. I still work with the military everyday, but they couldnt pay me enough to wear the uniform again... There are some serious, dedicated professionals in the military, and there are some 'lifers' who just couldnt cut it without the support structure the military provides... simply stealing oxygen for 15 years without being caught doesnt make you a leader, and you should not be promoted for it... [:/]

Hi DM

As soon as i went in:)

Easy was single so, went to college, G.I.Bill $175/month money left over to jump.:P

Missed the job/none. No more military stuff, women.:)

"In" :o. Why go back"In" If you could get the same job as a "contractor" for a little more money and a shorter commitment.

I'm afflictled with "OLD" so no longer qualify for either option.

R.I.P.

I got tired of doing shit work like pulling weeds and picking up other people's cigarette butts in addition to the fact that being HIMAD in ADA limits the places you can be assigned to. (Ft Bliss, Korea, Germany, repeat...)

I sold my truck, paid off all my bills first and left basically debt free and walked on to a job that netted me a 350% pay raise the day I ETS'd.

It was hard not shouting "hoo-ah!!!" all the time and singing cadence when I went jogging but I got over it. :P

Nope, I did my duty and served my country for almost a decade... now it is time for someone else to step up and do the same.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

1. Never wanted to get out but had to due to being hit in the leg and numerous lung infections. If I could have stayed healthy probably killed as many damned Arabs and turned F...in Iraq into a Parking Lot...Bastards..managed to pick off about a Dozen or so..anyway..sorry never lost my motivation to keep on kickin Ass...B|

2. Transition was rough because I was Special Ops -Hardcore to the Bone and just couldnt understand the ropes in the civilian sector.

3.No easy parts..Beside nothing has ever been for the most part easy for me..Worked hard for everything..no hand me downs. I earned everything to get where I was.

4. I am really Burned at the recent BS from these Bastards taking Hostages and trying to prove something..Really Tired>:(Given the Chance I would like to go Waste as many as I could of these so called Terrorists....Damn right Id go Back IN...
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

When I went in it was under the idea that I would be aiding in the national defense, but while I was in, all the prejudice that I encountered turned me off. I could deal with the inspections, the TDYs that never seemed to allow me to spend more than a day or two at a time stateside, etc., but it just seemed to me that there was a substantial amount of racism at a national level that dwarfed what you see as a civilian. This bothered me, so I got out.

As for the transition back to civilian life, after 1.5 years of working temp and freelance jobs while trying to find real work, I almost went back in.

Obviously from my above statement, I was NOT one of those hardcore special ops guys. I was an Arabic linguist and after all those years of studying the language/culture, I didn't hate the entire area the way I had when I went in. And yes, that's years of studying. The tech school was so long that if you went in on a 4 year enlistment, it was quite possible that you could only have about 6 months to a year of active duty left after school, except I was one of those money hungry guys after the extra enlistment bonus associated with a 6 year enlistment.

I knew it was time to get out a couple of years ago when I had five cases go to hell in the two weeks I was off on a mission. The next month, I told my CO, "It's time."

I handled the transition well. I'd been prepping for transition for years.

Nothing was difficult about it, except leaving some other officer to take charge of them.

I would not go back. Been there, done that, loved it, but my time is done.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Pretty rough, was deployed past my ETS date, when it came time to leave my friends who were still going to have another 6 months to look forward to in Iraq I started wondering if I really wanted out. Got back to the states, and did my best (drank a lot) to keep my mind off of my unit still doing what I felt that I should be doing even though I despised the cause. It wasn't until my first jump that I realized I could have the parts that I loved about the army without the bullshit, i.e. the camaraderie, the adventure, and the really fun nights.

The difficult part was figuring out what the hell I wanted to do for a living... it was all a little grey in comparison to what I'd just left. The easy part was not having to listen to some dumb ass give me an order that put myself and others in harms way unnecessarily.

Yes, but only if there was a reason...i.e. a war worth fighting for. Screw Garrison.

***Would you go back in, given the chance?

If i was given the chance to "soldier" i'd pay them to let me back in. If it was to play politics and kiss ass to anyone with a bar, leaf, bird, etc.. FORGET IT!

smile,,, a true soldier... thank you,,,

i replaced my tequila shots slogan, ya know, where you bump your finger around the shot, north, east, south, west,,,,,,, with 1, Duty, 2. honor. 3 Country,,,, 4,,, sigh,,, dont mean a damn thing..

De politics,,, I fear it will be the fall of rome..

Gawd, if dar is a gawd---when, i'm too old to fight,,, please give me young men with real "airborne attitude" "hairy frog attitude" willing to go to jail, to do the right thing. I need my pension, hehehehhehe

\

Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

When I wasn't having fun anymore. If you aren't having fun in the military it sure as hell doesn't pay well enough to stay!

Have a plan. It doesn't have to be perfect.......cause no plan ever survives first contact. But a plan is necessary. My sister had been working with computers for many years. She made LOTS of money. So.....when I got out....the first thing I did was go get a computer cert. Within about 1 month of serious job searching I was hired on with Bellsouth. Started at about $18 with kick ass benefits. I wasn't getting rich but I was making about the same I had been after 10 years in the military. Not bad. ;) I did that because it payed the bills for 2 years and then went back to doing what I really wanted to do.

For me......it didn't take long to realize that I was "Very differen't" than the "average" person. The feeling of freedom was the absolute BEST part. The realization that I could go anywhere and do anything was pretty cool.

HELL NO!!!! B|

I came back from Desert Storm and just had a feeling. Something about me was different. After 15 years, I just felt like it was time to take a new direction.

Finished college, went to grad school, started skydiving again.

For me, it was easy. I actually transitioned to the reserves for four years prior to a full exodus. So I had a toe stuck in both ponds for awhile, so I think that helped.

I think one reaches a point where the past is the past and should remain that way. Trying to bring the past into the present is a step backwards. Short answer: No.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Remember... Going from Active Duty to not, you qualify for unemployment. Get that while searching for a position..

Search for jobs with companies owned by veterans. If you were a Marine for example you can contact the Marine Corps League.

Rhino

Not well. Depression, drugs, and hanging out with bad people. I was sick and tired of the Marines and I was really ready to leave. I did have a good job lined up when I got out, but after 2 years I just stopped working and became deliberatly unemployed for about 6 months.

What were the difficult parts of leaving/entering the real world?

Being alone in a new place (San Francisco). Going from living in the barracks with way too many people around to zero was discomforting. Having to find an apartment, furnish it, hook up the phone, cable, internet, or whatever and buy food, clothes, transportation (I didn't have a car, hell, I didn't have any "office" clothes) on a budget was an overwhelming experience.

Easy parts

Not getting hair cuts every week. Spending a much larger paycheck. Telling "Sea Stories" to girls that had never been around a Marine base. :D

. ...if I had it to do over again I would. That given everything I've been through mentally, emotionally, and criminally. The last 2 years have been amazing, and I don't think I would have gotten here or appreciate it as much had I not had such a rough time of it.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Well fishlips doesnt seem to have anything good to say anything or anyone....disgruntled about that homo disgarge he got.....maybe

My transition was fine. Just take life as it is given to you. Collect the unenployment they give you, go to school and collect the GI bill they give you, and just live , have the good time that you earned. You can live off the unemployment and GI Bill that you earned!!! I did!!!!

Oh was that a personal attack?????

What could possibly go wrong?