skyhighkiy

Why do some countries measure weight in KG?

Ok here goes. We consider the application of the 'consistent lattice quantum gravity' approach ... blah blah ... show that in simple settings the proposal works satisfactorily.

Hope that answers your question:ph34r:

I think we were expecting a more practical application.

Thankfully PhillyKev has a Spaceship. Maybe he’ll do skyhighkiy a favour

---------------------
side note

my personal research has shown given engineer+single yields 1st dates >> 2cd dates.

I went into that subject with an engineer an we found that 2cd dates << 1dvd date
and a blind date >> a bird in the bushel.:(

Gone fishing

Sounds like a grand idea

No really it is their fault..

http://www.essex1.com/people/speer/metric.html

Used in nearly every country in the world the Metric System was devised by French scientists in the late 18th century to replace the chaotic collection of units then in use. The goal of this effort was to produce a system that did not rely on a miscellany of separate standards, and to use the decimal system rather than fractions.

A litre is equal to

0.03531 - cubic foot
61.02 - cubic inches
0.00629 - barrel pretroleum
0.2642 - gallon
1.057 - quart
2.113 - pint
8.454 - gill
33.81 - fluid ounce
270.5 - fluid dram
16230 - minim

Does that help.

~Chachi

So a pint is equal to how many ounces? Me thinks metric is the way to go. Especially when telling women how many CM us men have.

Who said 12 inche's? sorry your confused I said 12 centimeter's.:)
R.I.P.

Yeah, what the question said....KG is a measure of mass, not weight....so shouldn't they be saying, "what's your mass"? and how does onego about developing a scale taht measures someone's kg rather than weight?

weight=M x G

it's just a misinterpretation. Weight is expressed in Newton... But in the common use of language people use it as weight
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Yeah, what the question said....KG is a measure of mass, not weight....so shouldn't they be saying, "what's your mass"? and how does onego about developing a scale taht measures someone's kg rather than weight?

weight=M x G

it's just a misinterpretation. Weight is expressed in Newton... But in the common use of language people use it as weight

It makes little difference as long as you are on the Earth's surface. The operation of determination of mass is, in most cases, a weighing operation anyway (we don't usually apply a standard force and measure the acceleration of the object, we measure the force of attraction to the Earth (gravity) which is weight, and compare it to that of a standard.

Besides, "weighing" sounds OK, "massing" sounds like you're about to invade the neighboring country.

If anyone asked "How much do you weigh" and you replied "820 Newtons" they would think you extremely wierd. Ditto if you said your mass was 4.7 slugs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Besides, "weighing" sounds OK, "massing" sounds like you're about to invade the neighboring country.

so maybe some country got invaded because they were sponsored by Weightwatchers and only had weapons of weight destruction :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

"We should all measure stuff in Stone!
I am absolutely svelte when measured in Stone!"

I hear you brother Deuce, and here's another, if you measure length in millimetres it sounds way more impressive.:$B|

Folks, it doesn't really matter what unit we use, as long as we know how to convert between them.:)Just my tuppence (about 3.695 cents) worth.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Okay. Let's say we were on the moon and I was driving my truck, but it broke down.

Here on earth, I would be able to push a 1,000 earth kilogram car a quarter mile to the next service station. This truck weighs 1,000 kilograms on the moon. But, it has a lot more mass to it.

Issue - would I be able to push it (assuming I can get the same traction as on earth) or would it simply be too massive? Seems to me that even though it "weighs 1,000 kilos" its mass would still be 8,000 earth kilos.

Could I push it?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

How much force it would take to move it depends on a couple of things. F=ma. The force needed to accelerate it depends on its mass. Mass hasn't changed.

But then there's friction. Friction (at least between some surfaces in this case) is a function of weight, not mass. So some of the friction might be reduced (though some probably wouldn't change since you're not trying to drag the locked wheels over the ground).

If it was a big box you were trying to push over the ground (to simplify things), and the surface of the moon was the same as the surface of earth, it'd be easier to push it on the moon because the weight is lower so the frictional force you need to overcome is lower. But if you went to the extreme case of a frictionless surface, it would take the same force to get it moving.

Dave

Here on earth, I would be able to push a 1,000 earth kilogram car a quarter mile to the next service station. This truck weighs 1,000 kilograms on the moon. But, it has a lot more mass to it.

Yeah, when you start changing the value of g is whem you need to start using forces for weight. In this case you would be talking about your car weighing (roughly) 10kN on earth and your truck weighing 10kN on the moon but having different masses.

Issue - would I be able to push it (assuming I can get the same traction as on earth) or would it simply be too massive? Seems to me that even though it "weighs 1,000 kilos" its mass would still be 8,000 earth kilos.

So, assuming no friction, since your truck has more mass it will take more force from you to accelerate it at the same rate as your car.

(kN= 1000Newtons ~100Kg under earth gravity)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How much force it would take to move it depends on a couple of things. F=ma. The force needed to accelerate it depends on its mass. Mass hasn't changed.

Read it again, I think the hypothetical was that his truck weighed the same on the moon as the car does on earth, although he expressed that weight in Kg he meant the moon truck was more massive. (lawrocket, was that right?)

Which is why Kg as 'weight' is fine if you're staying on earth but quite confusing if you don't.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

One of my favorites from college... a question on an exam started off with "a 10 pound mass hangs on a string..." or something like that. Some people misread it as 10 pound-mass (why lbs are ever used for mass never made sense to me either) and multiplied it by g to get the weight. Talk about reading too far into something.

Dave

10 lb mass....

Weight= Mass times acceleration

N= kg (m/s^2)

or in American terms

Lb=kg (m/s^2)

so 10=kg (9.81 m/s^2) ?

Dalailama, I don't think it's an obvious question at all.

can anyone answer this though?
If I have a 10 kg object, its weight is 10 kg times 9.81 m/s^2

lets say you put it on th emoon and the acceleration due to gravity is 5.3 m/s^2....what do you ppl say the "weight" is on the moon?

I guess, if you measure weight in kg, then what is your formula for figuring out weight due to gravity?

BE THE BUDDHA!

Not just a pretty face huh? ;)

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

" Let's say we were on the moon and I was driving my truck, but it broke down. "

It would probably a problem with the air filter.............:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson