Bolas

Convertible owners!!!

I bought a 1992 Mustang Convertible in 1994. I drove that car until 1998.

I lived in Spartanburg, SC, Athens, GA and then moved to the Atlanta area. I always locked the car. Never had a problem.

If someone wants into something bad enough, it's not going to matter how well you lock it. Locks are only keeping the semi-honest people out. True criminals already know all the ins and outs.

If you want a better opinion of the incident rates, you might ask your insurance company. I'm betting that they actually keep up with those sort of statistics.

Or go on line and do a search. You can find just about anything on line nowadays.

Nina
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I always lock my doors, top up or down.

In either scenario, if I have something I would rather not lose, I lock it in the trunk, the center console, or the glove compartment. Out of sight, out of mind.

When the top is down and the doors are locked, if someone reaches into the car and either opens it with the door handle or pulls up on the lock button, the panic alarm goes off.

I don't park the car outside for lon periods of time with the top down, especially if it's windy - too much dust to clean on the inside.
Arrive Safely

John

I used to own a jeep with a dual top, and I also was a car stereo shop bum (hung there every day), so I had access to cheap/free parts. ;) Anyway, I hooked up my security system with a motion sensor so it would go off even if someone reached in when the top was down. Only problem was, it was so sensitive that if a heavy gust of wind blew through or the sunlight angle changed quickly......WOOWOOWOOWOOWOO!!! B|:D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have a knee-jerk reaction when I park my Mustang. it's a silver 2001 GT with black leather interior.

Even with the top down and it's parked I will still lock the doors even though it's obviously silly to.

I keep the glove compartment locked and I don't keep any valuables in there. I don't have a very expensive MP3 tuner so I leave the faceplate on it (its resale value is less than 90 bucks now I think) and the amp is bolted down to the floorboards, you'd have to pull the driver seat off with nut wrenches to get to it, so I'm not too worried.

IMHO: insurance, baby.

I keep the interior empty except for a US road atlas in the back seat, everything else goes in the trunk. The center armbox usually only has junk receipts or a cellphone charger in it so I don't care if that is taken.

I've parked that vehicle in some pretty crummy neighborhoods in San Antonio and nothing ever happened. For some reason Mustangs don't get broken into and stolen as often as a Honda or a Toyota... I think it's because there's not much money to be made flogging domestic parts and it's not a good car to steal... they attract attention from other drivers (and police); especially when the top is down.

Either way I'm not too concerned about someone slashing the top on my particular 'Stang... it's an easy part to replace even if I paid for that out of pocket. If the car was stolen I would have to take the insurance and put it for a down payment on a new vehicle anyway.

Lucky for me my Mustang is paid off, it's my first new car, first new car note, and first major loan I have paid off.

I love that car. ;)

Ahhh, you had one of those cars that I set off when I ride by on my Harley. :P

Ha ha ha, yeah, I took that motion sensor out about two weeks later.....and somebody ripped through my soft top and stole my cd player.....B|>:( Figures. :P

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

One of my highschool friends had a 60's MG he drove to school everyday. Even in the winter. Once, I think we managed to get 4 people (including the driver) into the car with the top up.

Then a cop pulled us over. Never did that again.:D

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I'd also say to get a good alarm with a microwave sensor.

About 11 yrs ago, I owned a '91 sunbird convertible, which I parked outside my parents house when visiting them for Xmas. They live in a really nice neighborhood, btw. Someone cut my top open with a knife on Xmas eve, and the microwave sensor triggered the alarm, and the idiots bolted. (And I had to duct tape the top to keep the snow out until an upholstry shop could put a new top on!)

My current convertible, which I've had since '95 is a 1993 Nissan 240sx. I've got the same type of alarm with microwave sensor installed.

One 'plus' about 'sports cars' and other ones which are low to the ground, at least as far as alarms go, is that someone can't just crawl underneath to clip cables. My brother had a Jeep Wrangler, with several grand worth of stereo stuff in it, and he had a full blown alarm. The thiefs just crawled underneath, and snipped every wire they could snip, disabling the alarm and the Jeep.

Although alarms won't keep someone out who really wants to break into your car, that flashing light and warning chirps might make someone think twice... and it just might save you your insurance deductible.

Cya!
-Tommy

Currently have a 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder. It's as secure as any convertible anyone can have. I don't keep anything visible in the car, and everything that needs locking is locked - storage compartment behind the seats, glove compartment, even the fuel door and rear engine lid has a key lock on the floor. And best of all, you can only start the car up with the computer-chip embedded key. Anything else, and the engine will automatically be disabled.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I live in the South thus my top on my Toyota Solara Convertable stays down most of the time. I will lock the doors even when I leave the top down just out of habit, but I make sure the trunk is locked so there is no access from the inside to the trunk and I generally keep my valuable stuff at home.

Honestly locks are there just to keep an honest man honest. A thief will always find a way to get what they want.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

One of my highschool friends had a 60's MG he drove to school everyday. Even in the winter. Once, I think we managed to get 4 people (including the driver) into the car with the top up.

Then a cop pulled us over. Never did that again.:D

Ken

Heh. I had 6 people in (or on) my miata, with the top down. The driver, two in the passenger seat, and three on the trunk, holding as best as they could.
This ad space for sale.

I have a jeep wrangler and people have peeled the window off the frame to get in. Funny thing is, I do not even have keys to the doors so they are never locked and all they had to do was open the damn door! Never had a top cut though.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I used to own a Toyota MR2 Spyder when they first came back out. I ended up selling it to get something bigger, but I still miss it. I had a perimeter sensor alarm on mine, so even with the top down it could sense if you were in a certain 'bubble area'. Mainly because of the stereo I had installed in it, I was cautious with theft. Luckily nobody had ever cut it open to steal anything when I had it.

Sure is tough carrying all my gear in there, much less anybody else. Little to no room, but still a fun convertible to drive (especially during those summer days)!!

Dude! Nice.... no other color seems to do this car justice... silver just fits right. Just the color my car has. I've never taken it to the DZ since it doesn't have enough room for my gear, unless I only took the rig and a few other bare essentials.

Mine does have the sequential transmission, including the shifter buttons on the steering wheel, and racing style pedals. I've taken it as fast as 120 mph, and still had more speed to pull out of it. Not bad for a little 4 cyl. car... But what I really enjoy are the winding curvy roads. The car just corners so well at higher speeds. I also love the way it slices through traffic on the highway. >:(

Alas, last year's model is the last. They've discontinued due to poor sales (no surprise). My wife and I are driving the heck out of our two other vehicles and using the MR2 as a 1 or 2 day a week car. 17,500 miles in a year and a half aint bad, considering we put 20 to 25K each year on the other two.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban