bigway

Should we be concerned for newbies?

I dont think its necesserally a choice to look cool. Now a days, I'd say most of the rigs on a DZ have soft pillows for the reserve. I'd venture a guess that alot of newbies see them as a normal piece of equipment without understanding the potential issues behind them.
Remster

You make some valid points - however, I d not agree with the above quote. I'm worried that a soft handle for a FJC student would be confusing...

Again.... I've not seen any evidence that handle shape helps with pull order recall.

I don't think we should be pressuring students to pick one piece of gear or another without actual evidence.

I don't know of any DZ's that use soft handles on their student gear, so it's hard to compare real data. However, recent jumpers buying new gear is a reasonable approximation of student jumps - especially since most students don't have a real emergency during their student progression. Most jumpers experience their first real malfunction on their own gear in their later phases of learning.

So... If new jumpers are buying soft handles, (it sounds like they are), and soft handles are a safety issue, then we'd see a statistical increase in accidents caused by that new component. Soft handles have been popular for some time now, and we haven't seen that statistical increase. New jumpers everywhere are using these things, and they're not having a problem.

That's hard evidence that these things are safe for new jumpers.

It also suggests that they are safe for students, since there's little difference between students and new jumpers.

_Am

Andy, the thing is i have noticed the major increase in the past 8 weeks. Evidence is what I am concerned might be about to come. In three years I have sold 3 newbies soft handles. In the past 8 weeks, I have sold 11 newbies soft handles. Maybe the evidence is about to come, that is what concerns me and that is why i have bought the topic up.
Surely brining it up beofre it happens is not something we should just dismiss.
I have been one container manufacturers top distributor (in their top 7 for the past three years) so i have sold a fair few rigs, but only these past two months it has drastically jumped from 3 newbies in three years buying a soft reserve handle to 11 in eight weeks. Those sort of changes in numbers jump out at me.

Your points are valid, i just hope you see why I am concerned. I am not concerned about the past, just about this new trend. maybe in a year we will see the evidence needed to back up what i am concerned about..... i just hope we dont.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I do not think it would be any harm that a the UK or USA made a mandatory rule that you must have 100 skydives on your OWN FIRST rig before you jump a soft reserve handle.

So three or four months after getting their brand new $5000+ rig, they'd get to spend another $100 to get what they wanted in the first place? I can see that going over real well with those who haven't yet seen the value of having a spare reserve ripcord on hand.

The only real issue I see is one of changing emergency procedures at a low number of jumps. That said, new jumpers have been doing that for years and only a few of them haven't survived. It used to be common to do a "gear transition" jump back when students all used mains with springloaded pilot chutes and many used SOS (single handle) systems instead of the two handle system used on most sport rigs. That was two new procedures in one skydive!

Personally, I use a metal D handle and I always will. I've practiced hooking with my thumb so many times over the years that I'd really have to think about peeling and pulling a soft handle. But if I had 20 jumps and was buying a brand new rig right now, I'd probably go for the soft one if the only argument people could give me against it was that having it would change my emergency procedures.

Actually, that makes me remember a question the other day.
A newbie buying a rig asked for a soft resere handle and he said, When i get the rig can you make sure that I get the manual, pull ups and the standard reserve handle when you send it?

I wrote to him explaining that because you are choosing the soft reserve handle it does not mean they are also going to send you a metal handle. :)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I've said it before and probably will say it again - I hate statistics. They can easily show what is wanted to be seen rather than what needs to be seen. :)
Has the statistical comparison actually been made? do we even keep a central record of all (non-student) reserves, let alone the type of reserve handle?
I may be way off base here, but I believe such reserves are only reported if it led to an incident and the actual type of reserve handle is only specified if the jumper failed to deploy by themselves and only if it is a reserve handle that deviates from the norm.

It also suggests that they are safe for students, since there's little difference between students and new jumpers.

Disagree. There is a LOT of difference between a student and a new jumper (presuming you mean a newly licenced jumper).
A person who got their A-licence has demonstrated a (basic) skill set - the student hasn't yet.
The difference in experience at 5 and 25 jumps is much, much larger than the difference between 105 and 125 jumps - or should be anyway ;)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

coupled with lack of experience and thus the onset of extreme fear and/or already built-up anxiety that newbies may have - may just be a recipe for another AAD fire

'Cept that I've seen too many new jumpers write that 'they cannot afford an AAD' when they are looking for/have just bought their first rig.[:/]
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

huh ? I think you misread what I wrote. I have a metal Dring, and intend to stick with it.

Oh, I understand!

Here's the thing. To me, especially on a wingsuit dive, the most common malfunction is a spinning one. In this case, getting to the cutaway handle is just as important as getting to the reserve handle (arguably more important...), and often more difficult because of the g's from the spinning malfunction.

Yet the industry standard for this case is a soft cutaway pillow, and I assume that you use one too, and are relatively happy with it since you haven't told us you switched it to a metal or fabric loop one.

If it's so important to have a metal reserve ripcord handle, why isn't the same true for cutaway pillows?

If you believe so strongly in the importance of a metal ripcord handle, why don't you think the same thing for your cutaway handle?

I think that we're most comfortable with the stuff that we've been jumping for a long time. This is especially true for jumpers that have a lot of jumps. We like the gear we're comfortable with, because we're comfortable with it. To me, this isn't a good reason to recommend gear to students. There's a lot of gear that I'm comfortable with that isn't appropriate for new jumpers. (like my highly loaded eliptical)

To get back to my previous point: If these things were dangerous, we'd see evidence of that in the incidents forum.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If the metal ring is so much better, why are you sticking with a soft cutaway pillow? It sounds like you think there's an awfully big downside to having one.

Ah yes, to pillow or not to pillow, that is the question... (often asked).

I do not pillow for either the cutaway or reserve, and I like the low profile metal reserve handle shown in the attachment. I got mine through Velocity Sports (Infinity), I like it much better than other triangular shaped alternative handles that I have seen.

It has been shown that it is possible to hold onto a pillow with a great deal of force, but I think that finding might not be so true if the pillow must be grabbed and force applied very quickly. When I need to grab a handle fast and be able to pull hard, I want something that allows me to grab it using that wonderful invention, the OPPOSABLE THUMB.

It sure was extremely easy to pull both of these on my last mal. I have used cutaway pillows before, I just really like a loop.

Below is a letter that has been posted many times before, I repeat it again here because I think it is valuable:

Subject: 5000+ jumps, saved by RSL
Date: 1997/00/03
I got saved by,a backup device (RSL) on Thursday. August 28th. I thought I’d relay the formation
My background: 5000+ jumps, 107 cutaways, (No I don’t need to learn how to back, a lot of test jumps and films.) About 20 unplanned cutaways.
21 years jumping, AFF I/E, static Line I/E, Full time instructor at Perris, AFF Course Director for USPA.
Equipment Background: Rig- Javelin, Articulated harness (Rings top and bottom), RSL and Cypres equipped. Soft Reserve pillow, Main, Stiletto 135. Reserve- PDI43R, I wear my leg straps and chest strap quite tight.
The jump: A great APP Level 4, the student did well, I watched deployment on the student’s canopy, and hung around to give a thumbs up forte camera. This put everything happening a little lower than usual, so I threw the main out at about 2100, as opposed to the usual 2500 since I’ve gotten older and hopefully wiser. The main opened into a severe spin. There were no line twists, but I don’t know what caused the spin, as I could not see the left side of the canopy. After the usual playing around with It, I decided to get rid of it. My procedures are grab cutaway, grab reserve, pud cutaway, pull reserve.
I went for the cutaway handle, and to my surprise, it was on the LEFT side of my chest I grabbed it, and reached for the reserve handle. It was somewhere under my left armpit I could only touch it with my thumb, and not grab it. My theory is that a combination of the severe spin and the articulated harness allowed the handles to move so far.
I had also practiced hooking my thumb between the reserve pillow and the housing. I was unable to do it. I then pulled the cutaway handle, as I was not accomplishing anything in my attempt to find the reserve handle.
After pulling the cutaway, I continued to search for the reserve pillow. I was unable to find it. I theorize that it tucked under the main lift web as the harness slid back into position That theory took a couple of days to figure out. Being honest, I have my sincere doubts that I would have found the handle within the 6 seconds of working time that I had left.
My ML prevented me from knowing the answer.
I have since modified my rig to include a standard ripcord on the reserve. This should also serve as a reminder that backup devices, whether they be ML or AAD can save your life, no matter what your experience. Please don’t make this into a debate thread, there have been enough. I just wanted to share the experience, so people could make informed decisions. Rick Horn
D-6277 AFFI/E
USPA APP Course Director
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I got my racer lines caught on the door handle as i left the plane,...

that was your problem right there.:D

Seriously, I agree with you. Getting your thumb inside the D ring assures a positive pull whereas with a soft handle, you might not be able to pull as confidently.
Beginners likely don't have to worry about a high-speed spin due to larger canopy, but even so...A D-ring is a more secure option.
I don't know that I'd agree with regulating it, however. If it was, the first person that had a Dring snag in the US would likely sue the USPA or a manufacturer for mandating D-rings up to XXX jumps.:S

huh ? I think you misread what I wrote. I have a metal Dring, and intend to stick with it.

Oh, I understand!

Here's the thing. To me, especially on a wingsuit dive, the most common malfunction is a spinning one. In this case, getting to the cutaway handle is just as important as getting to the reserve handle (arguably more important...), and often more difficult because of the g's from the spinning malfunction.

Yet the industry standard for this case is a soft cutaway pillow, and I assume that you use one too, and are relatively happy with it since you haven't told us you switched it to a metal or fabric loop one.

If it's so important to have a metal reserve ripcord handle, why isn't the same true for cutaway pillows?

If you believe so strongly in the importance of a metal ripcord handle, why don't you think the same thing for your cutaway handle?

I think that we're most comfortable with the stuff that we've been jumping for a long time. This is especially true for jumpers that have a lot of jumps. We like the gear we're comfortable with, because we're comfortable with it. To me, this isn't a good reason to recommend gear to students. There's a lot of gear that I'm comfortable with that isn't appropriate for new jumpers. (like my highly loaded eliptical)

To get back to my previous point: If these things were dangerous, we'd see evidence of that in the incidents forum.

_Am

Very good point indeed Andy.

my rebuttal as follows :) :

1) usual deployment sequence is right then left. Which means if you are using 2handed cutaway technique you have a much higher chance of missing or not having a solid grip on the left handle

2) assuming hard housings (which I use in all my rigs) I feel that the actual force required to pull the handle is much higher on the left handle - thus having a firm grip THROUGH the solid D-ring rather than ON the soft pillow in theory gives you a much higher success ratio.

Honestly I try to be as objective as possible. Keep in mind being that I sell gear for a living I have jumped tons of different things. Say last 9 jumps I used 6 different rigs and 8 different canopies :) - so I do believe that I have a pretty solid and unbiased opinion of what works and why it works.

I guess to sum up my thoughts on the actual thread topic :

Do I think that pillow handles are bad for newbies ? Not in so many words, no. I do think that newer jumpers wanting pillows should want them for all the right reasons, and not because "they look cool". For example, I sold a rig to a friend of mine who at the time had about 150 jumps. He really wanted a pillow handle, but after I talked to him, he ok'ed me ordering a pillow and hanging on to it until a little later. He is now a bit over 250 jumps and I am swapping the handles for him next repack cycle.

>Soft reserve handles work just fine.

I have a good friend of mine who got hit hard enough to almost knock her out. She struggled with her soft handle until about 800 feet. She beat her cypres but not by much. Her problem was that after she got hit she didn't have much strength in her hands, and it takes much more grip strength to get a soft handle out than a hard one.

In addition, we've seen at least one problem reserve with a pull forces well over 50lbs. It took a LOT of force to get the (metal) handle out, and I have little doubt that many people could not have done it at all with a soft handle.

>I have not seen any evidence to indicated different shaped handles
>help with pull order recall.

It helps me, but then again I am a tiny bit dyslexic.

>Our obsession with the reserve handle being a hard handle seems mostly historic.

I don't see much "obsession" about it given that it seems like there's an even split at least in Socal. As with any gear decision, it's a tradeoff. It makes it harder to knock your handle out accidentally (which is good) and makes it harder to get it out when you want to (which is bad.)

1) usual deployment sequence is right then left. Which means if you are using 2handed cutaway technique you have a much higher chance of missing or not having a solid grip on the left handle

I don't follow. I've had 3 chops; I used the 2 hand method with all of them (ok, 2 of them, RSL beat me on one). No problems. What makes you think you're going to miss on one side versus the other?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I don't follow. I've had 3 chops; I used the 2 hand method with all of them (ok, 2 of them, RSL beat me on one). No problems. What makes you think you're going to miss on one side versus the other?

We are talking newbies, low time jumpers.

If using two hands on one handle method, once you cutaway you go into freefall, possibly back to earth. Even if you did you EPs properly and located your reserve handle visually the chances of your handle having moved due to MLW loosing tension from the load are there. Add the stress that most newbies will have when dealing with cutaway, and you can find someone yanking on their MLW webbing quite violently, instead of ripping the handle.

I have no AFF or Coach rating, and my experience working with students is limited to teaching them to pack and talking to them about gear. So perhaps someone with lots of AFF jumps can chime in here ?

As a new jumper, I agree. Muscle memory tells me to hook my thumb. Unfortunately, the used rig I bought has a soft reserve. It will quickly be replaced by silver.

Plus, I can't imagine pulling a soft reserve with an injured hand, if it should happen.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

We are talking newbies, low time jumpers.

If using two hands on one handle method, once you cutaway you go into freefall, possibly back to earth. Even if you did you EPs properly and located your reserve handle visually the chances of your handle having moved due to MLW loosing tension from the load are there. Add the stress that most newbies will have when dealing with cutaway, and you can find someone yanking on their MLW webbing quite violently, instead of ripping the handle.

I have no AFF or Coach rating, and my experience working with students is limited to teaching them to pack and talking to them about gear. So perhaps someone with lots of AFF jumps can chime in here ?

Sorry, but I just don't understand your point. Are you agreeing with Andyman or not?

It seems like you're assuming the worst, which is actually a good way to look at things like this. Let's assume no RSL -- you chop, you're in freefall and spinning. How does reaching for your reserve with both hands give you less of a chance for success than reaching with one hand? Are you assuming one hand is on each handle prior to the chop? That seems like a reach. Either you're panicked and fumbling and trying to get something (anything!) out, or you can find and possibly pull a handle.

In either case, it seems like a D ring would be a good idea.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Sorry, but I just don't understand your point. Are you agreeing with Andyman or not?

It seems like you're assuming the worst, which is actually a good way to look at things like this. Let's assume no RSL -- you chop, you're in freefall and spinning. How does reaching for your reserve with both hands give you less of a chance for success than reaching with one hand? Are you assuming one hand is on each handle prior to the chop? That seems like a reach. Either you're panicked and fumbling and trying to get something (anything!) out, or you can find and possibly pull a handle.

In either case, it seems like a D ring would be a good idea.

I am DISAGREEING with Andyman. I am saying that for newbies soft handle is a worse choice than a metal D-ring. And yes, I am in fact assuming the worst.

I totally agree with what you're saying. I think at the bottom, the problem is that people are doing things for the wrong reasons and that's what we should tackle. It's the Monkey see monkey do syndrome!

People doing things for the wrong reason is a trend seen in every aspect of life. People get married have kids discover that they can't stand each other, stay together to make the kids life miserable by not showing any love towards eachother and all this because in the beginning being and dating that type of guy/girl was groovy/cool/hip thing to do.
Swooping is another example. On every the DZ I've been (in my limited experience, I hope) it seemed that a good/appreciated pilot is someone who can swoop a small canopy. Someone discover that swooping thingy and now that's the only appreciated next level(progression/direction) for canopy control. I'm pretty sure that there are more cool stuff we can do with our canopies but if we keep being monkeys we'll never discover those thingies.

My .02$ (Canadian Cents :P),
Jean-Arthur Deda.

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Our DZ only has 1 jumper with soft reserve handle.

Pretty much due to the fact that our CI/DZO really doesn't like them and probably never will. He doesn't stop anyone from jumping them, but his opinion is well known and if you do decide to get one prepare for multiple weeks of intense grilling followed by being used as an "example" to newer jumps for a long time to come.

A healthy attitude from the guy running the show has a strong impact.

I finally decided to venture out of the one forum I've been sitting in for over a year.

I got 'new' [to me] gear recently.

that is-6 months ago! and I began to jump it regularly finally now.

My gear came with puffs, and on my inspection I requested the metal Dring -kept the nice puffy for later use, and the pilot chute is very nice freefly friendly soft handle, but I still want to have the plastic handle I'm used to.... for a bit more.

I had reasons to wait=which I reveal as I write.
wanted to mention a few things-as a student-as well as a skydiver who has some 'different abilities/dis-abilities'

1) My new gear came along with many things that I truly like and believe are safety conscious for me.
(I'm a partial quadraplegic skydiver with a couple of yrs skydiving now soon and am most interested in staying in this sport for life).

2) my gear: a 285 main and a 250 reserve.
now this is a purchase-commitment to these sizes-for two reasons:
a)there was one jump when my mind entertained the idea of what I WOULD like to do with a smaller canopy-knowing that it is 'pushing' the envelope of safety-and honestly stopped my brain-and self chastized myself for entertaining other things during a canopy ride-other then skydiving that moment-and the type of thoughts-pushing the envelope and wanting to try something for the 'how cool would that feel'
b) My choice will lock me into flying this size canopy for a longer time-giving me tons of time to get used to some difficult situations-experiences that may come along-rather do it with this canopy-then with a smaller faster canopy-and more likely newer to me-then [i hope] now-meaning that i will have several hundred jumps before i try to downsize.

I remember clearly-the day last august when I had this revelation that i needed to make a commitment to this canopy size range.
It turned out that i was lucky.
there came a main, container, and reserve for sale which was an exceptional 'deal', beautiful combo-looks nice, is in great shape-and very well kept (only 110 on the main and none on the reserve in 2 yrs).
so I got lucky on being able to have it.

Sure it was hard to 'wait' to jump it=which I DID..
because I did not want to do winter jumps for the first time in my life- on new gear i have not become accustomed to -I just felt too many variables that were new to add together increasing risk factors.

I'm not sure if this is a 'typical' student/ 'newbie' attitude or not....

but i do not think it is being stupid,
or wrong-maybe 'overly cautious' -but how is that exactly defined in a sport like skydiving...

as it was said,\we jump out of airplanes
and fall towards the ground at 120mph or more, control sheets of material over our heads to land ourselves upon the ground -what ever the colours etc. in my mind does not add to the 'cool' factor...

Certainly I understand the desire to have colours one likes, matching, or following 'trends'-even though personally I don't give a hoot about those things, I can see they mean something to many others.

regardless of being a 'newbie' if I want to be involved in a sport such as this, I have the responsibility to familiarize myself with the gear I am using-wether its my own, or the DZ student gear.

in the end=responsibility is mine-regardless of wether i am looking cool, want to be, or look like the left overs at the bottom of the 'good will' bin of skydiving gear-

safety extends from myself-to each person in my load and on the ground upon which I will be landing on-that IS critical=the looks are optional.

Bigway, it's great to see that you take this and other issues so seriously.

What is the rush for them to be getting reserve handles that match the feel of their cutaway and why all the sudden is this the handle of choice?

Simple. All the cool kids have them. [:/]
I think most of them don't even consider the safety aspects of their new gear - looking cool is all that matters.

Guys, we're jumping out of frickin' airplanes, for god's sake! How much cooler can you get?

Yes, my gear matches too - but the matching colours were a coincidental bonus of being unable to find the main I chose second hand..I reasoned if I had to shell out fourteen hundred euros for a canopy, it could damn well have the colours I like.
But that doesn't keep me from looking like an idiot when I botch a landing in my matching gear...

In skydiving too much emphasis is placed on looking/being cool and too little on safety ("So-and-so has trouble standing up their landings, even at twelve jumps.." "Dude - you still using that POS analog altimeter?" "I don't need an AAD!")

Buying gear custom and new, not for the perceived technology/safety but because 'everyone does it' and for the matching colours is plain stupid... so are soft reserve handles, a small main canopy (who'd want to fly a 190 sq ft 'boat'?) with an even smaller reserve....I think some people lose track of what it is we're actually doing. Sure, it's fun and maybe even relaxing. Let's go grab some wind!
Just don't forget what the consequenses will be if you fuck up.

Stupid hurts.

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I reckon THE issue with soft pads is that it can simply take longer to find them, especially if the harness is a bit loose and has moved around. Say you're wearing full-face helmet and gloves, what are your chances of grabbing the harness instead of a soft pad? What about a metal ring?
A pad MAY make you waste precious time.
I understand FF issues, and the 'need' for pillows. Just give yourselves 500ft extra height :)

My penny worth :p

i guess i should add that my gear came with some of these options-preferred by many- soft pilot chute toggles, 'FF Friendly' gear-'matching' handles on front-colours, as well as being fabric-why not get the sticthing of names as well.,.,...

my thoughts were=that since it came with these options-it will be ready for me-when i am ready for those options-which i will only be-once my DZO and Angus agrees with me-that I'm ready-until then

I stick with what I KNOW BEST.\
not because it 'student gear', 'adva\nced', or what ever=-brands, logas etc.

at this point,as a person with less then 250+ jumps (it's A figure I decided for myself-for discipline-i dont care if i think i am 'ready' for something earlier-i also thought i was 'ready' to do a 180 DEGREE TURN ON A windless day to end up going down wind for some 'fun' to slide on the wet grass...[shocked][:/])

and with the 'butt slide landings' I need to do
the landings are the factor that will decide what I fly (size wise)... seeing as I'm not expecting to start walking anytime- my canopy size will remain fairly stable for that reason.\

Other options-such as the pillow soft cut away handle (at least these are two seperate colours-rather then merely worrying about the colours matching my canopy), and my pilot chute-will follow suit.

Right now safety is the ONLY consideration.

I don't think I would ever recommend a fairly 'newbie' jumper to buy gear anyways-'other items' i.e. altimeters, helmets etc is something one could invest in-while they are learning more canopy control skills...
since canopy sizes seem to change fairly often in progression of a 'newbie' jumper.

for any skydivers with any 'special issues' to consider- I would think safety is always #1....

in the end of the day, after spending $ on 'downgrading' my container slightly by making these few alterations, I know I'm jumping something I am familiar with, and luckily have the option to change things later.

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

If one is in favour of the metal reserve handle, the counter argument is always that for almost all jumpers, the cutaway handle is still a soft handle. Valid point, but a PARTIAL counter argument is:

- If I think a soft handle is harder to grab and pull, then I'd rather have just 1 not 2 of them to deal with.
- Then I'd also rather deal with finding and pulling a soft handle while spiralling at 50mph downwards speed, than deal with one in freefall when accelerating from 50 towards 120.
(But harness distortion should be less after the cutaway. But that didn't help in the Rick Horn case.)

Other options-such as the pillow soft cut away handle (at least these are two seperate colours-rather then merely worrying about the colours matching my canopy), and my pilot chute-will follow suit.

Which reminds me; I had the green cutaway pillow that originally came with the (used) rig swapped for a red one, because the green pillow matched my gear a lot better than a red one would. :)

I know I'm jumping something I am familiar with, and luckily have the option to change things later.

I wish more people would have an attitude like yours.
Keep up the good work, Minna!
~mom