shropshire

Split D-bags

Hi all, following on from the CrossFire packing tips thread....

In the 'olden days' I used to have a D-Bag that was split (bottom to top) and closed with velcro..... it made the insertion of the cocoon very easy (& symmetrical) and then the normal mouth lock close as normal.

Do these still exist. Who uses them... If not why not etc...

Thanks.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

In the 'olden days' I used to have a D-Bag that was split (bottom to top) and closed with velcro..... it made the insertion of the cocoon very easy (& symmetrical) and then the normal mouth lock close as normal.

I used to use split D-bag too. It did not really helped in backing. It did open when I did not wanted to.

some of our student rigs had them, and because of the heavy use they got the velcro always seemed worn out and would let go at the worst moment.

i think that if you have a canopy sized for your rig, and decent packing skills, you don't really need one.

ymmv:)

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i think that if you have a canopy sized for your rig, and decent packing skills, you don't really need one.

ymmv:)

that about sums it up. The right bag and good skills make the split bag useless. Always sewed mine up anyway.

You are both probably right ... I don't have a split bag on my TSE rig but it is short and has been a right pain to pack in the past. But I'm getting used to it and my old Sabre 1 @150 is reasonably easy to get in now a days but I'm still having problems with my brand new Katana 150.... I guess that I'll keep working at it.

Thanks everyone.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If I make sure the velcro is secure BEFORE I try to put the canopy in the bag, gennerally no problems. If, on the other hand, the velcro is not fastened, it would really prefer to stay that way apparently. I put the canopy in, close the velcro and then try to make my first stow, the f*%#ing thing pops right back open again.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

The old Vector split bags with velcro were a pain IMHO. I sewed all of mine and many others closed.

My vector split bag has not been peeled in 10 years. I pack it like a standard bag and it has been flawless. I'm not sure how to use the feature but have never relied on it. Is there a substantial difference in technique to utilize the split?

Another type of split bag had both sides fastened with velcro. The bag when split was just a flat piece that could be wrapped around the canopy (with excess hanging out the sides), and all the locking loops could be done before having to stuff the canopy in the sides and close the splits. This type of split bag I think is much more useful than the top-bottom split at allowing an overstuffed d-bag.

After I got good at packing, and because the bag was the right size, I finally glued the split closed permanently.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There are some split d-bags still used in these parts of the world. In (former)Yugoslav Kluz 1(-A) system. It was not like Mirage, but had Velcro on whole left and right side. I used it while I was jumping classic accuracy. It was easy to pack, but aging Velcro was always a problem.
dudeist skydiver #42

Hi all, following on from the CrossFire packing tips thread....

Do these still exist. Who uses them... If not why not etc...

Thanks.

I had one in my Paraflite EOS. I don't think it helped any.

If you really have problems, making the two folds at the top of the canopy, bagging, and then making the bottom two folds terminating at the tail is easier.

If I make sure the velcro is secure BEFORE I try to put the canopy in the bag, gennerally no problems. If, on the other hand, the velcro is not fastened, it would really prefer to stay that way apparently. I put the canopy in, close the velcro and then try to make my first stow, the f*%#ing thing pops right back open again.

Have your friendly neighborhood rigger sew the split up. That's what we pretty much did with all of our old split D-bags that closed the split with Velcro.

Have your friendly neighborhood rigger sew the split up. That's what we pretty much did with all of our old split D-bags that closed the split with Velcro.

Yep, that's what I would do, but since with a little luck my new rig should be here in a few weeks, I'll probably just live with it the way it is a lttle longer.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490