skittles_of_SDC

Thinking about packing my own reserve.

Why go through the effort of packing it at all? See the "seal polishing" thread for lots of great ideas so you don't even have to work at it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The FAA rigger license is more of suggestion than a requirement, isn't it?

its a requirement. I bet you couldn't do it anyways...just for fun have a rigger watch you do it and be surprised at what tools you would need just to close it.

edit: you actually don't need a rigger to pack it you just need a rigger to pack it/ watch you pack it so it is airworthy. So actually go knock yourself out but you probably shouldn't be jumping it.:)
Na' Cho' Cheese

I'm thinking about packing my own reserve come next repack cycle. That shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean they give you all the instructions in the container's manual. The FAA rigger license is more of suggestion than a requirement, isn't it?

In theory, FAR 105.43 says that "The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated rigger" with no exceptions for supervision and the implication that the 20 pack jobs needed for a ticket can't be used.

In practice if you're a reasonable person known to your rigger, know how to pack reserves, and give him money for his time he'll probably supervise, sign, and seal.

If you have a young rigger or an older rigger who really trusts you because you've got more experience, you may be able to get it signed and sealed without much supervision.

Being a BASE jumper helps with experience - it's the same pack job, with the BASE flavor usually being more meticulous and the reserve much more work to bag and close (especially if you follow the silly trend of tight tiny containers which feel like bricks - after it's small enough to fit an airline carry-on it just doesn't matter).

Making it looks good sometimes requires practical experience and/or help on where to put bulk so there aren't any creases, the cypres doesn't stick out much, pop tops sit flat, etc.

I'm thinking about packing my own reserve come next repack cycle. That shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean they give you all the instructions in the container's manual. The FAA rigger license is more of suggestion than a requirement, isn't it?

Just ask your rigger if you can watch him packing reserves. You might have a second thought of re-closing the worm-can. ;)

I didn't know I was gonna get serious responses. I guess I'm not good at trolling. My April Fool's joke has been a bust. [:/]:D

I've packed my own reserves, actually used one of the pack jobs, and don't (yet?) have a ticket. I know other people who've done the same.

Wanting to pack your own reserve is entirely reasonable.

I didn't know I was gonna get serious responses. I guess I'm not good at trolling. My April Fool's joke has been a bust. [:/]:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

My April Fool's joke has been a bust.

Not at all. We've had fun at your expense -- where's the downside in that? :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you are going in, you shouldn't be cursing. You should be putting one of your shoes inside your jumpsuit so the EMTs will say, "how the hell did his shoe get in there"

Awesome, I'm definitely going to do that.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Really when you look at it, not much more gratifying a feeling then looking up at a Ball-o-shit main (or whatever problem it is) and knowing that after your pack job opens you saved your own life! GO FOR IT! But if you do with out a rigger eying you, just search the threads on how to fake a Seal and sig on yur rig and pack card:P Also don't hesitate on chopping the main because as the old saying goes "He who hesitates shall inherit the Earth!!"

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Perhaps you should have started this thread instead...Hey guys I want to pack my reserve by only using my penis.***

might work if he jumps a really really small reserve....:P

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

If you are going in, you shouldn't be cursing. You should be putting one of your shoes inside your jumpsuit so the EMTs will say, "how the hell did his shoe get in there"

Awesome, I'm definitely going to do that.

I keep wondering what people would think if they were looking up and saw me with a PC in tow, reserve PC tangle and delay the deployment, then it clears and I land under my reserve with one shoe on and one in the jumpsuit because I thought I was going in....

Perhaps they would ground me.....
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

as i mentioned in another thread, this is a weird community. goof threads turn serious, serious threads go right sideways into fuckery. :D

should start a '6 degrees of separation' game. open a thread at random, read the 6th post and see if it relates to the original. half the time, it probably doesn't.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001