dtpilot

photographers overcharging

I just ran into a problem this last weekend at Skydive Dallas... I bet there are more out there with this same problem and I think it should stop.

It was the first jump of the day on the early bird load so I was excited since I havent jumped out of a large plane in so long. Well I went up to jump with a friend, had a great skydive and then time to open. Under canopy I was next to a camera man. We played under canopy and he took some pics... well we get on the ground and he says he took some pics and so on. Later he shows me the pic and it was awsome. Well I wanted it. He wanted 10 for the pic and also to pay for his ticket up... 30 bucks. FOR ONE PHOTO!! I didnt ask him to go up and take pics of me. We just were lucky to get near and get the shot. He really only had the right to charge me for the photo. Not the jump..

So what does everyone think?

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Damn Right!

Hope he wakes up. He had the nerve to say he had $10,000 in equip to pay for.

Who give a rats ass. He bought it. sell the photos and jump for fun!

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds very low amatuer,,,,,, He was jumping any way,,who was he filming? What gives him the right to hose you? He should charge a reasonable fee for the photo...if you don't buy it who will? let him hang his balls on that !! Hopefully one of the pro photo guys will respond and set the record strait........
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

>If you think the picture is worth $40 then pay him.

Good point and I was thinking the same thing. But I found out that he has tried this before with others so that made me upset. I decided to let him hold onto the 11x14 that he printed out. More of making a point.

The pic was worth buying but not to feed the fire. Ill have another op to get a nice photo for the wall.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds very low amatuer,,,,,, He was jumping any way,,who was he filming? What gives him the right to hose you? He should charge a reasonable fee for the photo...if you don't buy it who will? let him hang his balls on that !! Hopefully one of the pro photo guys will respond and set the record strait........

I am nowhere a pro, but here's how I go about that.

Scenario 1:
you walk up to me and you want pictures taken of you skydiving.

You pay: my slot + $15 and you get to pick your favorite picture, printed in 8x10. If you want more, you're welcome to order them through my Shutterfly site.

Scenario 2:
I ask if I can come along on the jump and I take pictures.. you like one of them, you can buy it through my shutterfly site, or straight from me and I'll mail it to you.
I pay my own slot, cause it was my choice to jump on that load with you...

Iwan

ok what about senerio 3. He came up after the jump just because we were close and he got some shots and wanted me to pay for his slot along with the photo

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

ok what about senerio 3. He came up after the jump just because we were close and he got some shots and wanted me to pay for his slot along with the photo

Same story as number 2, you pay me for whatever I charge for a picture of that size.. You do not pay my slot.

Does that sound reasonable?

Very reasonable. Tips come to good photographers who are fair.

Those who piss everyone off get to pay for the jumps and waisted film

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

what up Daniel! This is why you shouldn't be jumping in Texas!!!:ph34r:

good to see you are back--and yes I think that you should pay for the photo, but not the slot, unless you both agreed ahead of time that the photographer was going to jump with you for the specific purpose of taking YOUR picture.

btw--did you EVER find those dz bum pics? I want my butt pic:(

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Yep.........I would have told the guy to get bent. Even if I asked him to go up and take pics of me on the jump and ALL he got was ONE nice pic. I'd still be pissed

I'd be pissed if i managed to pull off a HD rodeo with a camera guy then found out his camera wasn't on....:D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I'd be pissed if i managed to pull off a HD rodeo with a camera guy then found out his camera wasn't on....:D

Oh...damn. That was HARSH!:ph34r:
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

A good photo can be worth $30. However, asking for $10 for the photo plus slot after his choice of jumping is a poor decision in my opinion. I often fun jump and take photos. My price per photo is standard. If I sell one photo, I brake even on the jump, two or more puts some $ towards my cameragear. But I never ask someone after my fun jump to cover my slot. If someone asks me to jump with them for photos, that's different of course. But I also don't think you should complain about an asking price either. If the photo is worth that $ to you, then pay for it. If not, don't. The photographer still has the right to charge whatever they want. And you have the right to not buy it.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I agree that there is alot of stupid crap that goes on.I had vidoe guys in Dublin trying to charge the tandems extra for stills since we were not offering them(we weren't offering them because all the video fliers didn't have still cameras).Only problem, we were paying the camera guys all as if they were shooting stills.Anyway,he can charge $100 for a photo if people will pay it.I think he chose a poor way to put a price on the photo.If he wanted $30 he should have said "I want $30 for the photo".

However, asking for $10 for the photo plus slot after his choice of jumping is a poor decision in my opinion.

It may be a poor idea, but its his choice to make.

You're one of only a handful of people here who understand the costs involved in setting up a good camera helmet.

To everyone else who only sees a bunch of electronics strapped to a vidiots helmet, understand that a good camera helmet setup often costs well over $2000. Add in the fact that we usually go through gear at a pretty quick rate, understand that in a five year timeframe that photographer is often paying $5000 for the privelege of taking your pictures.

To most photographers, the idea of ever turning a profit is rediculous. Most would be very happy to come close to covering the cost of the gear.

Do him, and the rest of us a favor? If you see a picture you like, and want... BUY IT.

$30 is a perfectly reasonable price to pay for a good shot that you like.

I usually sell my photos for $20-$30. When people complain that they're too expensive, I make a note to avoid jumping with them.

When people do buy them, often times I'll do them favors, like giving them additional prints for free.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

$30 is a perfectly reasonable price to pay for a good shot that you like.

I usually sell my photos for $20-$30. When people complain that they're too expensive, I make a note to avoid jumping with them.

When people do buy them, often times I'll do them favors, like giving them additional prints for free.

I agree with the charge for the photos but my whole point is the way he is charging. I would pay for a good photo but the way he charged was 10 for the photo and 20 for the jump ticket. Thats not the right way to advertise. If he wanted 30 he should have said 30 for the photo, not the other way around.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

[:/] I agree with those who say this is a bit much...

Sure thing he/she can charge for stills,, but NOT the slot...Speaking as a camera Man who put the
"free" in freelance..... I think he over did it...
What little I EARN shooting Tandems and AFF, goes towards covering cameras tapes, printing supplies etc.... However,, ( and i KNOW this is a mistake), I often share pictures with my friends and skydiving pals..... That is... at the end of a day,, if I got a particularly nice shot of a TM or of a fun jump 12 way,, or of an intermediate jumper who I know has NO freefall photos,,,,I'll stroll around the DZ while beers are being cracked open,, and I'll GIVE pictures to people of MY choice... The smiles and the gratitude I receive in return,, makes it worth it .. to me...:| Then... I am often touched to find that packages of Photo Paper and packages of Ink Cartridges, and yes sometimes even CASH, seems to turn up at my video editing station..all by itself...:);)
I have never been into shooting video or stills, with the idea of MAKING money... I have a regular job,, at which I work very hard,, which generates my income...
Tandems and other work jumps pay for my basics..
Yes yes... Of course i will often have people ask to HIRE me in which case i will accept payment for the prints,, ( I'm not stupid) and sometimes slot, if the person Offers it... but to grab a candid shot of someone during a rountine skydive.. and Then,,, offer it under the conditions which you have described,, just doesn't sit well with me...
However to each his own,,, and "buyer beware"
It a shame that the sport seems to be sliding into "you pay for EVERYTHING", as most people who began in the last 5 or 10 years have come to find out..:o:(..... Only you seee,,,, I am from a different time,,, when jumpers shared..... they shared their abilities in freefall to help and work with up and coming jumpers,, ( for nothing) they shared their abilities on the ground , with things like packing, and de briefs,, and they shared their enthusiasm for the sport,, with no other demands except that the newbies,, likewise skydive with enthusiasm.... But for sure.. times have changed...
Just wondering if you can tell us the experience level of this camera person.. Is he/she just starting out,, and as such feels the need to recoup what has been spent on camera gear???... If so.. then maybe I can understand the motive.. but otherwise i think it's a bit arrogant to ask for the cost of a slot ...after the fact...... ( just my opinion) o[:-) jmy