Bouda

Smokers that quit!!!

Uh, well, I did do the cold turkey thing. I used the support of my friends - since I was mostly a social smoker, they were usually around when the urge hit.

When I was alone, I just made sure I didn't have a pack in the house, and kept reminding myself how far I'd gotten and how it would all be for nothing if I had even 1 lousy ciggie.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I first switched to snuff (Skoal). Dipping gave me the nicotine fix while allowing me to break the ritual of the cigarette: lighting, that first puff, crushing it out. The Skoal was far easier to quit than cigarettes after that point..... at least in my experience :)
PS. This is easier to pull off if you work outside

Edited to add this was long before gum was availible, at least otc.

I gave my wife a cast iron skillet to throw at me when she found out I was smoking.

I worked great, I haven't had a cigarette in over 2 years.

Unfortunately she didn't follow through when she flung it at me once, and ended up dislocating her shoulder. She's still recovering from shoulder surgery.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm gonna give you the 'cold turkey' shit because, that is how I did it! I'd 'post-pone' cigarrettes, divert my thoughts, stay busy. I tried the patch and found myself smoking while wearing it. Tried the gum and about puked. It was tough, I was irritable and out of sorts but, I kicked it. That was 8-yrs. ago. It is not easy but, you can do it! Good luck to ya'!

Chuck

what did you do to fight to urge and don't give me that cold turkey shit either!!!!

------------------------------------

I started smoking a pipe and puffed my way around the golf course beating the shit out of the golf ball every morning to keep from hitting humans. The gum helped in the final stages of my withdrawals.
....with a capital P and that rhymes with T and that spells TROUBLE!!!

I found that changing my routine helped in the begining after that it was sheer will power. Quit at a time when your not doing things that you would associate smoking with I.E. driving, talking on the phone, break time at work, ect...

I went on vacation for 2 weeks when i quit 2 years ago and it made it alot easier. But what works for me might not work for someone else.

Good Luck

My dad told me when I was a kid....

"There are NO quitters in our family":D

i'll be down the same journey as you at some point, possibly when they put me in a pine box, here are my opinions about some of the methods...

patch = itches like a MOFO possibly allergic reaction, and if you leave it on at night you'll be having some funky dreams! But it works well!
gum = tastes like shit, and makes the saliva run rampant in your mouth, (i'd rather have some redman). works ok.
Zyban/Welbutran[sp?] = makes cigs taste like shit but your not suppose to have any :D while taking it, well... i tried and I know why your not suppose to, it will totally F(*& your stomach over and it's quite painful. Didn't work for me much.

bottom line = you have to truly WANT to quit....

give me that cold turkey shit either

dead serious... cold turkey

The biggest help was willpower and being aware of what I wsa going thru. Everytime I had the urge, I would remind myself that the urges were normal to be expected , and something I would have to live with if I wanted to be an ex-smoker. It'll be 4 years next week.

Oh, and the field trip to the Exporatorium with a bunch of 4th grades didn't hurt either ;) The nicotine withdrawal buzz was definitely uhmmm.. interesting ;)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I admitted to myself and everyone around me when I wanted a cigarette - it's like facing a demon head-on.

"Yes, I want a cigarette. Wanting a cigarette is OK. Smoking one is not."

At first, they didn't get it. "No! No! You can't! Don't do it!!" But then when I explained why I was saying it out loud, it made more sense... and after a while, I stopped saying it.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

after that massive, good time called Halloween at Atlanta. Id smoked almost 2 packs in one night, my head hurt, I had a 12 hour drive in front of me in my nice new car, so I said screw it.
Ive been quit since Nov 1, 2004.
but mostly I dont have cravings anymore. the smell of smoke is beginning to annoy me too..
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

what did you do to fight to urge and don't give me that cold turkey shit either!!!!

Well 1st I STOPPED buying them, then all my mates got the shits with me getting smokes off them then, amazingly with no smokes to smoke I Stopped:D:D:D:D:D:D

I smoked about 30 a day then stopped:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sorry, but that's how I did it...May 3rd is 22 years butt free for me. Good luck and hang in there for 10 more seconds when you want a smoke...and then 10 more seconds....etc.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Ditto to a bunch of the posters here. 2+ packs a day to cold turkey. I just decided I didn't like being a slave, and broke free. I'm coming up fast on 2 years too. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1