gravityizsexy

This post died with my concern...

I mean damn,... can I not have new gear????
I don't see what the big deal is... sure there
will be plenty more, but if it's me who's going to
get it dirty... I'm going to be the one to get it dirty,
like I have to wait a while to jump a new canopy,
fudge that, it works.... it opens.... it flys.....
Mebbe some feel that Im too new to the sport to
have it, which by the way is bullshit I think(new gear)..., but
you either go hard or go home. YES, a [email protected]:1
is little drastic for me and for y'all to know that
requires a little more intimate observation of my
technique, but I try hard not to show my gear off since
everyone knows Im still a whuffo... and it just
backfires.. I've even resorted to jumping rented gear
not to make a scene... but honestly WTF??!?! how
long does this have to go on? It's killing me...
I know I shouldn't care what everyone thinks
but I just don't want to stir the waters....

Im just a lil aggrivated cause I love my gear, but
evidentally everyone thinks it doesn't love
me if that makes any sense.

Any advice??? cause it's killing the mood at my
current DZ, and my instructor seems to be pretty
judgemental about it which isn't real comforting.
wisdom... pls?!?!?

P.S. - don't get me wrong she's great and full of
knowledge, this is just bothering me way too much.
Did I mention she's great and full of knowledge??
super professional, and if I had my pick again it
would be her 5x over.

essentially, I don't feel welcomed and it sucks...
because it's such a great place with awsome people,
Im lost and don't know howto react. or I'm just
a sensitive little bitch who needs to man up. I dunno
anyone know what Im talking about???

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

YES, a [email protected]:1
technique

Spoken like a true believer..............that's headed for some broken femurs and internal retained hardware. Dude............if people are telling you that you shouldn't jump that canopy. Maybe you should listen.........or not.........your choice. IF you wake in the hospital there is nothing anyone can do but say "I told you so." If you don't wake up because you died on impact..........well........they can also only say I told you so. I'm fairly sure the majority of people at your DZ don't want to see that. It's your choice though..........I mean........screw them.......How does years of experience and thousands of jumps give them the right to tell you what to do. I say make sure your medical and life insurance is paid up and have at it! :S

no no, it's not that their telling me not to jump it,
I mean, in my opinion... my canopy responds very
calculated and time precise and is relativly a great
fly, but thats not my problem. I wouldn't jump something
my instructors thought I wasn't ready for, so it's not
really my choice. Anywho... I'm over it... thanks anyway
though. It's not the like DZ won't be accepting cash
this year...

whats so good about used gear???.. PPFFFFFPPFFTTTT
Like I said, Im over it.

How many jumps do you have out of curiosity ?

There might not be a problem with the gear or the wingloading, it just may come down to good old fashioned experience levels.
There will be nothing to stop you using your gear once you've shown your instructors your capable of meeting their requirements.

Any advice???

Try not to hit the enter key so often.. i thought this was a poem. ;)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Psst..... go to your Display settings and change your Textbox width. It will make it easier to read your post:P
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

whats so good about used gear???.. PPFFFFFPPFFTTTT

It's a great way to get appropriate gear while your jump numbers are low without breaking the bank. I don't have a problem with newbies getting new gear. I have a problem with loading people onto LifeFlight.

I have a problem with loading people onto LifeFlight.

I hear ya, which is why I would NEVER EVER jump anything
that wasn't approved by my superiors..., If the winds are
too unpredictable and coach sez "you know your not
jumping your gear, right?" I have no choice but to comply.
But when she confides in me, it's all good. Im more pissed
at the jibber-jabber around the DZ, like the "He don't
derserve that piece", or the "hell, he'll last 5 months
then go back to whatever..." or some are most likely
just being genuinely nice. But there definitly is tension
in the air, I just hope it doesn't snap. I guess I just
care too much what people think, whatever... Im young
I'll grow out of it. We'll see what next week brings.

technique

Spoken like a true believer

How about this.... He's inexperienced, and already overloading the maximum placarded weight for that canopy. Doesn't anyone else see a problem with this? It's F111, not zero P!
From the PD website:

CANOPY MODEL | MIN | STUDENT | NOVICE | INT | ADV | EXP | MAX.
PD 9 Cell-150 | VLC | N/R | 97.5 | 105 | 150 | 150 | 150

1.1 to 1 on Zero P? Meh, no big deal. 1.1 to 1 on F111? BIG freaking deal!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Just a story from experience, take what you want from it.

I heard a former student of mine (about 2-3 weeks from graduating AFF ~ 30 jumps) bought a high performance canopy ~1.5:1). I told him he should not fly that canopy until he learns how to & it should stay on the ground until then. I told the DZO about it & they would not let him jump it at their DZ. He took it to another DZ and his memorial jump was the next week.

"but honestly WTF??!?! how long does this have to go on? It's killing me... "

YES IT CAN!

BSBD
Steve
AFF/I

1.1 to 1 on Zero P? Meh, no big deal. 1.1 to 1 on F111? BIG freaking deal!

Whao, whao, WHAO!!! before you start chopping me up and try to throw me into THAT pot... lemme reiterate, it's a 150 Spectre (7 cell, zp)... damn, I appreciate the intensity but it's covered...

PD Spectre wing load chart
CANOPY MODEL AREA (SQ. FT.) MIN.(Lbs.) STUDENT (Lbs.) NOVICE (Lbs.) INT (Lbs.) ADV (Lbs.) EXP (Lbs.) MAX.(Lbs.) SPAN (FT.) CHORD (FT.) ASPECT RATIO
Spectre-97 97 VLC N/R N/R N/R 97 126.1 155.2 14.42 6.87/6.25 2.14:1
Spectre-107 107 VLC N/R N/R N/R 107 139.1 171.2 15.15 7.21/6.98 2.14:1
Spectre-120 120 VLC N/R 102 114 120 156 192 16.04 7.64/6.98 2.14:1
Spectre-135 135 VLC N/R 114.75 128 135 175.5 216 17.01 8.10/7.39 2.14:1
Spectre-150 150 VLC N/R 135 150 165 195 240 17.93 8.54/7.72 2.14:1

end deal, it's your life and your equipment. you are ultimately responsible for your life. that said, you are also responsible for others in the air and landing area as well. are you confident that you can "do your thing" and not hurt anyone else? in as much as you consider your own well being, consider other's at the same time.

Take Care, Be Safe.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

end deal, it's your life and your equipment. you are ultimately responsible for your life. that said, you are also responsible for others in the air and landing area as well. are you confident that you can "do your thing" and not hurt anyone else? in as much as you consider your own well being, consider other's at the same time.

Take Care, Be Safe.

whatever, I'm blaming you if I break sumthin... you
and you alone...

k, apparently everyone thinks Im talking about my canopy... Ney, I'm talking about newbies getting all new gear (Main, Reserve, conatainer, cypress, suit, alti, etc..) is frowned upon in a very, very,... spiteful manner. I think it is bullshit. If your eager, willing, and dedicated why not throw down for the best? But somehow, this thread got turned into what, why, and why not I should be jumping a canopy thats already been approved by my INSTRUCTOR which subsequently happens to be none of your busniess unless I make it such. Soooo....... new gear is NOT just for pro's. but hey, what do I know???

Any advice???

Try not to hit the enter key so often.. i thought this was a poem. ;)

I have another piece of advice for him along those lines...

Don't write like you talk! Stream of consciousness is even more difficult to follow in written form. :P :ph34r:

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Ney, I'm talking about newbies getting all new gear (Main, Reserve, conatainer, cypress, suit, alti, etc..) is frowned upon in a very, very,... spiteful manner.

you must be misinterpreting the "vibes" the wrong way. i bought all brand new gear when i was going through AFP. no one got spiteful about it. in fact i got a lot of help with gear selection from my jump master and the DZO.

I think it is bullshit. If your eager, willing, and dedicated why not throw down for the best? But somehow, this thread got turned into what, why, and why not I should be jumping a canopy thats already been approved by my INSTRUCTOR which subsequently happens to be none of your busniess unless I make it such. Soooo....... new gear is NOT just for pro's. but hey, what do I know???

lose the attitude, this could be what's causing the negative reactions to you? but hey, what do i know???

Take Care, And Again....Be Safe.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

lose the attitude, this could be what's causing the negative reactions to you? but hey, what do i know???

Take Care, And Again....Be Safe.

You started it! under confused preminition, but I'll loose if you do... I've been switching DZ's quite often due to circumstances, some places were cool, actually... all of them are cool, I'm just bumping my head against the wall with this DZ. and, as yours.. my instructors are all about helping and they do whatever they can to help me, but it's the people who look at me and are all like, "man, f*ck that guy... does he think he is a skydiver or something?" blah blah blah.. so I'm left alone, and it sucks...

OK I think I understand what you're saying here. We're not talking wing loading, we're just talking about a new skydiver buying all new gear. Seems pretty simple to me.

Here's what I've learned in my short 3+ years of skydiving. Skydivers are (almost) always going to downsize. The only problem I see with buying new gear this early on is that in 6 months or a year everything is going to be too big for you. You start out with a big reserve and a rig that can fit that reserve and a bigger canopy because that's what you should be jumping but eventually you get more dialed in and want a smaller main. You can put a smaller main in some rigs but you can't go too small unless you get something like a Wings where you can change the size of the closing loop to tighten it down but even that has it's limits. Eventually though, your stuck with this rig that has a reserve that's so much bigger than your main that your rig looks misshaped. You realize that now your skills are so much better that you don't need a reserve that big anymore but you're stuck because containers are made to hold only one size reserve as far as I know. So in a very short period of time you're looking at buying all new gear again and you're kicking yourself for spending 5 grand 6-12 months ago on all new gear when you could have spent a lot less on used gear to hone your skills on (and trash) and then bought new gear when you were closer to the size gear you'd be comfortable jumping for a long time.

So it's basically a money issue. Nothing else.

Now if people are just being jerks because they're jealous that's one thing but if they are actually just trying to explain this to you that's a whole different thing. If you have the money for it though then do what you want!

I think that's the longest I've ever posted before.

Edited to remove my sigline. ;)

that is the exact reason I opted for used gear, i know I won't be in my first rig for more then 2-3 years tops, assuming i'm able to get ~2-3 hundred jumps each year. shoot my first rig is a talon 2 used that looks like it's never been jumped...

to each there own....

I'm just bumping my head against the wall with this DZ. and, as yours.. my instructors are all about helping and they do whatever they can to help me, but it's the people who look at me and are all like, "man, f*ck that guy... does he think he is a skydiver or something?" blah blah blah.. so I'm left alone, and it sucks...

Your active duty? Start acting like it.....

If a majority are pointing out something wrong, are you listening?

Ney, I'm talking about newbies getting all new gear (Main, Reserve, conatainer, cypress, suit, alti, etc..) is frowned upon in a very, very,... spiteful manner.

Nothing is wrong with a newbie getting new gear..

I made qround 50-60 jumps on rentals before I could afford my own crap. I learned alot from the various canopies I jumped.

Personally I would have been better off having gotten new gear from the start.

Racer. Triathlon main, and a PD reserve.. What I ended up with after all thr rental gear.

Ultimately I believe I was at more risk jumping the variation of rigs that didn't fit and different sized mains.

Nothing is wrong with a new jumper having his or her own gear that fits. Nothing at all.

Rhino

is little drastic for me

What DZ let's a student jump a 150 loaded 1.13:1? Just curious. I haven't been to but a handful of DZ's, but I just didn't know that anyone DOES that with a student, loading 1.13:1 . B|:S Your avatar sure didn't look like you weigh 140-ish...guess you're a short guy. OR a really skinny guy. Ah well...

Glad you're over your frustration...but don't you have 27 or so jumps? That was when you had your #'s up and might have been a couple of months ago, I don't remember to be perfectly honest.

Anyhow, can you clarify that point? Are you still on student status? What DZ do you jump at? -I just keep notes for myself for later on when I do start touring around...which DZ's do what. Helps me decide if I would want to risk my life there or not.

Edit to add: The point of having new gear I think is dead here. I don't know of people that would be judgemental of having NEW vs OLD. But a new or old 150 for a student...honestly, I would be looking at ya funny, right before I asked manifest to scratch me from the load with you...:| <--no offense, honestly, but I have scratched off a load before because I didn't want to be in the air with someone. I have no problem doing that. I think you may be misinterpreting the concern with WHAT you are jumping rather than it's dollar value.

But hell I could be way off base, & if I am, sorry 'bout that. Stay safe.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.