popsjumper

Learning motorcycle..get big or small?

Most people here have given sound advice...

I have riden since I was a kid, my early bikes were hand-me-down freebies from family members. The very first bike that "I" actually purchased was a 1999 Harley Sportster, 1200 Custom, very nice ride; the only chromed out bike in the Sporty line up. I rode it for a season and realized I was way too big for the bike. I sold it and bought a lighlty used 1998 Fat Boy, which I still have. In my opinion, the Fat Boy is much easier to ride. It has more cc's, but it is geared much differently. The Sporty would blow the doors off the Fat Boy. The Fat Boy also sits lower and therefore has a lower center of gravity; easier to ride as a newb.

I now have the Fat Boy, and a GSXR 750. (read: bar bike/mountain bike) With half the cc's of the Fat Boy the Gixxer is a much faster bike!

Basically what I am saying is: CC's is not a true governing measure for a first bike...

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

Hell I am 5'11 and I still prefer the feel of the lower COG. Especially with my feet kicked out past the crash bars!!!

FYI: It is not safe to ride with your legs resting on highway pegs; but I love cruising like that!!!

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

I have been riding for 6 years and still ride a 600. Why? Because I can wheelie it at 100MPH, go faster through the canyon than 1000CC,

Then your buddies riding 1000's must really suck. Your telling me you can outride an experienced R1 or 954RR rider on the back roads? Please:S

" The bike expectancy of a new rider on a CBR600 is at least 6 months. The rider usually comes out much better than the bike does.

Huh? Care to explain this. I have owned 4 different sport bikes. CBR600, ZX7R, 929RR, R1. Not sure I understand what you are saying.

Don't forget the riding gear. If you're new, you're not good enough for a beanie cap, no gloves, and bare assed chaps. Be stylish after the first year

Actually a smart rider will protect themselves no matter how long they have been riding.

Yep, just like smart jumper never jump without shoes or a helmet or gloves. But....on nice days most of us do.

No arguments here..I actually totalled my R1 while riding a wheelie in a short sleeve shirt and no gloves...but then again, i never said i was one of the smart ones;)

Yep, I am 5'11" and love the fit of the fat boy, although I want to put a few inch risers on my bars and bring them back a bit.
I have lindbars http://www.lindbycustom.com/index.html# and love em....sweet look, great customer service. They are NOT there for protection, but it makes you worry less about dropping the bike like all these sport bike riders seem so concerned about.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

I have been riding for 6 years and still ride a 600. Why? Because I can wheelie it at 100MPH, go faster through the canyon than 1000CC,

Then your buddies riding 1000's must really suck. Your telling me you can outride an experienced R1 or 954RR rider on the back roads? Please:S

I've done it on a GSX-R 600 at 245 pounds.;) The biggest CC's on the ride were on an R1 and a Hayabusa. Besides myself there was another guy on a ZX-6R, all experienced riders.

Trav on the ZX and myself left the R1 and Busa behind after only a few corners. B|

Sorry, 1000 and up sport bikes are just too heavy to be flicking around corners the way were going. On straightaways, you'd better believe we were eating their dust, but on the corners? Puh-leeze.:ph34r:
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

well, the 900rr is 14lbs heavier than the 600. I have owned both. I currently prefer my F4i. With a power commander tuned to the max. K and N Filter with a Micron pipe. Next step drop the rear sprocket. On straight aways the Busa kicks ass.. On corners it sucks big time. Hate following busas on mountain or corner roads. But it really does depend on the rider. On my 900rr i could corner that bastard like no tomorrow and it would wheelie at 110(by accident, almost shit myself).
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Yeah, the RR's are just plain scary like that...900CC's in a very small package. Definitely not the norm when compared to the GSX-R and ZX in the 1000 class.

My fuel injected GSX-R600 was -1 in the back, power commander, and Yosh pipe & headers. I never had to clutch it to get it to wheelie.;)

But I really didn't love that bike. Really wide, and not made for those of us with shorter inseams. If I get another, it's definitely going to be an R6.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

My friend has an R6 i rode it didn't like the seating position. Love the Honda. I put a corbin seat on it made a whole new difference. Rode 4 hrs through Georgia mountains. Didn't feel i thing. My friends were sore as hell. I would definately reccomend a corbin seat..lol
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Yep, just like smart jumper never jump without shoes or a helmet or gloves. But....on nice days most of us do.

back when dress codes were really lenient, I waited for the first days in spring when I could ride to work in shorts.

Riskier? Sure. Feels good, damn straight!

better yet was light enough that I could pick it up myself when I dropped it.

If you know how to properly bring a dropped bike back up on its wheels, it doesn't really matter how much it weighs, its about leverage not strength.

Get an enduro (dual sport - street and dirt).

Yeah, those bikes are great, they suck on the road and off the road. Buy a dirt bike for dirt bike stuff, buy a sport bike for sport bike stuff and buy a cruiser for cruiser type stuff. Too much money? Pick one.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Brandon, your reccomending a sport 600 for the first bike. Are you a fuckin idiot? If anything, knowing andy, look at a hondow shadow or maybe an intruder. I myself have a CBR 600 f4i andy and believe me you don't want a crotch rocket in any 600 class. I'll be riding mine up soon i'll let you have a ride

actually I recommended a cruiser, but was giving info on sport bikes just incase. as far as 600's go, I didnt recommend something like ur CBR or the R6. I said the FZ6 which is perfectly fine for a first time rider.
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

Get an enduro (dual sport - street and dirt).

Yeah, those bikes are great, they suck on the road and off the road. Buy a dirt bike for dirt bike stuff, buy a sport bike for sport bike stuff and buy a cruiser for cruiser type stuff. Too much money? Pick one.

Duals are a great choice for city dwellers in SF where lanesplitting is legal, but challenging on regular width bikes. Also deals well with the crappy pavement.

know a handfull of people include small framed women who liked the big frame better than the sportster because of COG. Glad you like your Fat Boy.
------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 1981 sporster(1000cc),,it's the only bike i have owned..I have alsos talked with other smaller women that prefer the bigger framed bikes as well mainly for the reason that u stated..but unfortunatly i have never had the pleasure of riding ne thing other than my sportster so i don't have ne thing to compare it with.
If there are no trials in life,how will u know what is really imprtortant
liv2luv
luv2liv,,,SUMMOOO 1

lucky

Duals are a great choice for city dwellers in SF where lanesplitting is legal, but challenging on regular width bikes

Ok, fine, if you *want* to ride like that.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of lane splitting.

Also deals well with the crappy pavement.

Meh.

Just about any bike will deal well with crappy pavement if you ride it correctly.

Who has a cruiser?

I do - a 1997 Honda Shadow VLX 600 Deluxe.

Who has taken an MSF course?

I did before I bought the cycle.

Before or after a mishap?

Before...my mishaps were parking on an incline and forgetting about the incline. :S And I turned a corner too sharp when I first got my Shadow and dumped her.

How many miles a year do you ride?

500-1000

Have you ever known people who own a cruiser who took it back because their first purchase decision was flawed?

Nope.

Too big or too small?

My Shadow is the perfect size for me (horsepower as well as actual cycle height) - especially when I started out. I wouldn't have wanted to go smaller but my next motorcycle will be a bit larger.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Most motorcycle dealers of any consequence have a training program. My advice - take the course sit on and ride several bikes - you can rent Harley's and Harley offspring to try them out. Find out what fits and what your comfort zone is for the type of riding you want to do.

If you plan on taking someone with you on most rides - another consideration. You'll want (or more to the point they will) a couch on the back not a pincushion.

I've been riding for 40 years - I now sit an Electra Glide Classic with all the bells an whistles. If you are the right size and strength the bike under you is less about engine and more about comfort. I ride with guys that sit on a 250 and guys that sit on a Vulcan. They all love their bikes. They all go just about as fast as they care to.

Being a "mature" gentleman, it's about comfort and balancing the beast while it's stopped .

Hey this sounds like a wing loading thread doesn't it?

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

My two cents. I've had nine bikes in 35 years, last one an FLH. Most Harley riders can't ride at all; just watch their girly-man cornering. Get a 250 dirt bike and learn to ride. Then when you get your hog you'll be able to scrape the pegs on both sides. Have fun!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

A man's gotta know his limitations.

Or state laws he's not willing to violate.

Or not do something that he could do, that could be legal in some places, but puts you at serious risk.

I'd rather get go 5-30 minutes earlier.

I assume you're saying "I'd rather leave earlier" then I agree with you.

Most Harley riders can't ride at all; just watch their girly-man cornering.

That is awesome!!! So trueB| Sportbike riders will outride harley riders any day of the week. There, somebody had to say it:ph34r:

I do have a question for all you harley riders..is it mandatory to wear a black harley shirt everytime you go out for a ride? Do those harley shirts help you with your badass cornering techniques?:)

One other thing...whats with the do-rags?

HA;)

Or not do something that he could do, that could be legal in some places, but puts you at serious risk.

I assume you're saying "I'd rather leave earlier" then I agree with you.

Your measurement of the risk is off, Dave. The vast majority of my mileage is commuting, and I'd guess that might mean 10,000 miles on the line. Riding in traffic, otoh, subjects you to risk of rear enders.

Does The Man let you leave early? Splitting means I spend 1-5 (or more, depending on current job) more hours at home instead of commuting, per week.