Evelyn

Church vs. Skydiving

Posting this just to get peoples opinions about attending church on Sundays vs. skydiving on Sundays. I will be spending the weekend with my parents, but will tell them that I feel much closer to God skydiving than attending church with them. I think they will understand. And that is how I really feel. I could sit in church with my parents and listen to the pastor preach, or I can go out and experience my kind of religion, I feel so close to God when skydiving, much more than could be expressed in a church. Anyone else feel the same way?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Hey thanks! Thought I'd get people saying I should attend church with my parents, but instead people agreed with me. Should have known skydivers would see it my way. Have fun everyone skydiving, I will. And remember to give thanks for successful skydives :)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Well, God doesn't really care WHEN you go to church, just as long as you make time for Him.

It's true! I was there when Jesus told her!;)
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I feel ya... I try and attend church with my family if its of important significance to them. For example, Easter Sunday, or flowers for deceased loved ones etc.

However, worship to me is taking full advantage of the gifts God has given. I've found satisfaction in the freedom of the sky, so I choose to do this on Sunday mornings. However I still think fellowship is important so I go Sunday nights or Wednesdays when I can.

I've always thought of church/worship as a relationship, not a religion. Express your thanks in the way that you feel. I hope your parents understand, and good for you :)

Give the time to your parents...God knows how much time they've given you.

Edited to add:
And be sure to tell them you love them and appreciate them for all the things they've done for you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

honestly i wouldn't stress so much about not making it to church on sundays - this is an ongoing battle i've had with my family in the past
there are tons of people that go to church every sunday just because thats what they're "supposed" to do - they tend to be the ones that lie, cheat, steal, or are just assholes to everyone - but come sunday they put the bullshit smile on just to cover their asses - now i am NOT saying this is everyone that attends church but its a lot of them - at least where i'm from
just because you don't go to the actual building where church is does not make you a bad person, you are not going to hell
do what makes you happy - generally speaking when you're happy, you're more friendly to other people - so JUMP live it up - talk to god on your own time - you don't have to be in a building for him to listen
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Hey thanks! Thought I'd get people saying I should attend church with my parents, but instead people agreed with me. Should have known skydivers would see it my way.

LOL...yeah, you did ask a bunch of skydivers. Ask your parent's friends, I bet you'll get a different opinion. ;)

If it is that important to your parents, why don't you do both? A service is only about any hour anyway, right? You can still spend the morning with them and head to the dz later.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

...do what makes you happy - generally speaking when you're happy, you're more friendly to other people - so JUMP live it up - talk to god on your own time - you don't have to be in a building for him to listen

I see this a chance to spend some quality time with the parents not so much about whether or not to attend church services.

Since she has a relationship with them, what's the big deal about spending some quality time with them? Believe me, if they got crushed by a Mack truck tomorrow, would she still be happy about "doing what makes her happy"? I didn't.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

for many years i have felt that the best place to be , in order to speak with GOD, on a sunday morning ...would be about 13,500 feet.....
.....He can hear you better than if you were on the ground;)
"My Wife goes to church WEEKLY "
"I go to church WEAKLY " ...:S:o:);)

jimmy

...do what makes you happy - generally speaking when you're happy, you're more friendly to other people - so JUMP live it up - talk to god on your own time - you don't have to be in a building for him to listen

I see this a chance to spend some quality time with the parents not so much about whether or not to attend church services.

Since she has a relationship with them, what's the big deal about spending some quality time with them? Believe me, if they got crushed by a Mack truck tomorrow, would she still be happy about "doing what makes her happy"? I didn't.

i'm not saying for her to bail completely on spending time with her family - she doesn't necessarily have to go to church to spend time with them - i'd personally would like to spend the time talking with them

i am sorry for your loss though
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me