lawrocket

What are the Natural Disaster Risks where You Live?

Here in the Central Valley, we have a risk of earthquakes, though not as bad as near the coast. We also have a slight risk from a volcano in the Sierras, and a slight risk of flood. Mainly, a pretty bad drought for a few years can hurt us pretty badly, and we get pretty hot here in the summer.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

We're relatively safe here in Colorado.

If you are in the mountains you have to deal with wildfires and avalanches/mudslides. Here in the front range we've only got the ocassional tornado and I live far enough west that it isn't a major concern. We have had a few drought issues from time to time, but there is generally pleanty of water for us.

My son and I were just talking about that today.

I'm close enough to the mnts that we don't have to worry about a tornado.

Yes, we get snow, but in a few days it has melted. I guess I'm just lucky were I live, since I can't really think about any Natural Disaster that would shut us down like what happened in NO.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Volcano (seen it) flood (seen it) earthquake (the last one was still fairly mild) and fire on the other side o' the mountains (worked it w/FEMA).

Tsunami evac. routes are located all along the coast. -Never seen it, don't want to see it, I think I would have a heart attack from fear before I drowned...:S

Thank God we have no tornados. I'd be moving out.

Seattle area.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

About the only threat I have in my area in central Alabama would be tornadoes. I'm far enough north that no hurricane would cause catastrophic damage, but could still knock down trees and power lines.

There's been a few droughts and heat waves but nothing severe. Also, living on a lake can be interesting when it rains really hard for a long time and all the run-off raises Logan Martin Lake 7 feet above normal and puts most of my back yard under water! Thankfully, the house sits above the flood level due to the dam...

So... tornadoes are the only real threat I have around here.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ohio sits on a secondary faultline (hell the mississippi river does too and at one point in the last few hundred years ran NORTH for a few days due to the shaking), The DZ is situated in Tornado alley for the state and all the rivers around here love to flood/flash flood. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm in Houston, just down the Gulf from New Orleans. Only I'm at an impressive 25 or so feet above sea level :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Shhhh, don't tell eveyone that. Next thing you know they'll all want to move here.

Don't move here, the winters suck with tons and tons of snow, and we are below freezing from Nov. till mid March.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Chicago:

Immediate threat:
Blizzard/ice storms, heat waves, tornado and related winds/storms, flooding, drought. (most we are ready to deal with - 28 inches of snow is cleared from streets within in 12 hours of snowfall, etc.)

Not so immediate:
Earthquake
(this would mess us up the most, we are not ready for this here)

Well, maybe:
If the caldera volcano went off we would all have issues. The rare tropical storm that makes it's way to the Midwest.

In PA where I am now tornadoes and blizzards and ice storms. In CT where I normally live we get just blizzards and ice storms. A shell of ice 2-3 inches thick will sometimes coat everything and you have to chisel into your car. Branches get heavy and break easy. Roofs get a lot of damage. Before a blizzard the grocery stores are insane with crowds.

Volcano (seen it) flood (seen it) earthquake (the last one was still fairly mild) and fire on the other side o' the mountains (worked it w/FEMA).

Tsunami evac. routes are located all along the coast. -Never seen it, don't want to see it, I think I would have a heart attack from fear before I drowned...

Thank God we have no tornados. I'd be moving out.

Seattle area.

Ditto

Volcano.. Walked IN it (ON the Dome) :)Flood.. Bought my house hundreds of feet above a floodplain.. I KNOW how much the valleys here flood
EQ. I live far anough north of the Seattle Fault it should not be horrible. and I am on flat land so no worrys about stuff rolling downhill. WHEN the Cascadia Fault goes though it will be OVER a 9.0 and will devastate the whole area severely.

ForestFires. I do live out in the boonies and that could be an issue but luckily I have few combustibles around the house so MIGHT manage to survive that if one came thru.

Tsunami.. my boat is at the coast so its in a marina that has a bit of protection but not much. and being a few hundred feet above sea level helps.

Extra Tropical storms.. you forgot those. We have them every year but some are far worse than most hurricanes they have in the SE like the Columbus Day Storm.http://oregonstate.edu/~readw/October1962.html

Don't move here, the winters suck with tons and tons of snow, and we are below freezing from Nov. till mid March.

Oh wait, for a second I thought you were talking about New England, thats my advice... [:/]

Jen

:D:D:DJen, you know you can move here...........but no one else. Stay where you are!

Nah, I heard the jumping there sucks :D:ph34r:

Jen

:o Well then you would have to travel with me to "events" once a month:ph34r:

My roomies and I were talking about this yesterday. Living in the Los Angeles area, the main thing is earthquakes. Or maybe the periodic forest fires, they got pretty close last time.

But then the question was, say there's a huge earthquake, which is gonna happen eventually. Say something happened, or is going to happen, and you have to leave, now. Evacuate. And it's going to be awhile before you can go home. Where do you go?

We're all in school, with family on the east coast and up and down the west coast but pretty much no one in between.. So - get in the car and drive back cross country? Hope whatever the disaster is is localized enough that family in San Luis Obispo is far enough away? Just go to whatever shelters they have set up? Grab a tent and go camping for awhile (not gonna work for long)? -- I think we decided that we hope nothing happens, at least while we're here. Oh, and that we need to set up an emergency-preparedness-type kit.

> Living in the Los Angeles area, the main thing is earthquakes.

Yep. Everyone is calling the New Orleans people stupid for living in a below sea level area frequented by hurricanes. But you can see them coming. Earthquakes arrive without warning.

During the brush fires (which came within 2 miles of us) we loaded up the car with the irreplaceables - the rigs, pictures, the computers, the important documents. And some water, gas and clothing. We were ready to go on a moment's notice. Didn't have to, fortunately.

>Where do you go?

Not too much of a problem for us. We know people from San Diego to Maine who would take us in for a few days, and have family in San Francisco and NY. And we're just two people; it's a lot easier to take us in than a family of 6.