highfly

How many of your are IT proffesionals?

I've always been an adventurous sort. I kind of stumbled into IT after college and the military because I had accumulated some skills and it paid well. I've been at it just long enough now that even though it's f&%^($G boring, it pays pretty well and I can afford to climb, ski, jump, buy cameras and whatnot. So, for now, I stick with it.
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

I run a small development team. Fun & challenging.

4-way skydiving is challenging too, but in a different way - it's more about challenging who I am & the way I see and react to things, whereas IT is all about what I know and my ability to deductively reason.

Very different and fairly complementary :)

I've done mostly PC repair for the last 7 years, I have an associate's degree in computer network technology, about to finsih another associate's in programming, and after that I'll be headed to UAT for my bachelor's in game programming. I need a challenge in my career so I think game programming will be something that'll provide that for me.

Money is good too, but I'm mainly in it for the intellectual stimulation.
Anvile Brother #59

I'm a Linux admin. Well, technically I also work on BSDI boxes and I'm the lead admin for some old legacy Sun boxes.

But if the Sun boxes break, I sorta just hit them with blunt instruments until they work again, so I don't know if you'd call that admining.

Am I IT, if my job title is Computer Network Technologist? We used to be called Programmer/Analysts.

I work in academia, so I don't make enough to support my habit. I have to pack.
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

Yeap me too... I've recently moved into Project Management (from .net Developer) of RFID based systems.... cool technologies with lots of issues.

Certainly helps pay the bills! but not as well as when I was a contractor (self-employed) developer:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If any of you guys are looking for a change of country, let me know. Drop me a pm.
Im based in Auckland NZ and theres always loads of IT jobs here.
Maybe around $80k NZ salary and with jump prices going from as little as $22 NZ, its not a bad place to be.

Especially now summer is coming. Thats official!!!B|B|B|

www.myspace.com/durtymac

I'm a network engineer, but I started jumping before I was really able to afford it.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.