phatcat

Police, Firefighters, EMS - Roll call

In the US, they had to give the firefighters something to do. Most of the buildings in this entire country are "up to code" versus the issues you all have over there retrofitting historical buildings with fire safety in mind.

If most of US firefighters had to earn their living actually fighting fires, they'd die of boredom. It's all about rescue and EMS, at least in most of California. The firefighters in the older cities work harder, but we define "older city" as being around in 1900, not 1400.

:ph34r:

Cops, now. That hasn't changed much in any major city since Mesopotamia.

:P

Firefighter/EMT/paramedic. 23 years with Baltimore County, 2 years with Prince Georges county. Retireing in 468 more shifts.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

In the US, they had to give the firefighters something to do. Most of the buildings in this entire country are "up to code" versus the issues you all have over there retrofitting historical buildings with fire safety in mind.

If most of US firefighters had to earn their living actually fighting fires, they'd die of boredom. It's all about rescue and EMS, at least in most of California. The firefighters in the older cities work harder, but we define "older city" as being around in 1900, not 1400.

:ph34r:

Cops, now. That hasn't changed much in any major city since Mesopotamia.

There's probably quite enough action in Philadelphia. Seems like people were torching a few rowhouses for winter warmth. :P

Wasn't Philly the place where the cops dropped a freaking BOMB on a crackhouse from a helicopter?

Madness.

Being a cop was the wierdest job. Especially when you got into interjurisdictional stuff where you didn't know procedures of the other agency.

Like beanbag shotguns. You know, when you chase a bad guy into another jurisdiction, and you have him surrounded at gunpoint, when the other guys shoot him, you figure you should shoot too, you know?

They should tell you ahead of time that they are just shooting beanbags.

Shooting a guy with bullets after he's been shot with a beanbag round is just harsh.

I am riding the great EMS rail road.
I started working for a private ambulance company in 2001, and now I provide EMS service for a government facility off the East End of Long Island. I am now a FF and a HAzMAt Tech. My heart lies with tech rescue, but now I am missing those classes due to staffing conflicts. Presently a Probationary Member of the Greenport Fire Department jolly volleys. I have a lot of experiance as a EMT but I still get bumped off of trucks go figure.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Baltimore County Fire Dept. 23 years. Firefighter/EMT/Paramedic
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Been out of the fire service for three years, was in for 4 or so, best damn time in my life, I still miss it. Badge #331, Northwest Fire and Rescue, Station 30

"You Go, We Go" Yeah I know its a cheeseball movie once you've really been in, but damn what a line.;)

Edit: Cuz I didn't read the entire first post, Why, My father was a smoke-eater, its in the blood, hell my entire family does something to that effect, cousin police detecticvem cousin, medic, best friend firemarsahll, firefighter, Mom RN, Fiance RN, cousin studying to be an RN. Its a family thing;)

wow looks like this post has been a round for a while, just hapy to say I have been back hose draging for 2 and a half years now

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

I just went through the written and then got asked back for the oral interview that I think went well. It is for a public saftey department. If hired I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting sent to cop school. I'd be ok with it. This whole department is basicly comprised of 50 FF/Paramedic/Police officers.....you go to work like a FF schedule...but 8 of your 24 hours at the firehouse you go out on the street and patrol. It sounds fun to me and a new challenge as i am pretty much bored being a medic now a days after 12yrs.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Air Force FF/EMT for 5 years, just cross-trained to be a Boom Operator on KC-10's;) Still have many friends in the field, don't miss it to much. Not that much action in the DoD, everything revolves around Fire Safety, most bases lock down all the cool shit that could burn. In 5 years I was on 1 working fire, 1 suicied, a handfull of MVA's and WAY to many fucking alarm calls>:( OH well, now I fly backwards in planes at 500 knotsand re-fuel kick ass planes...Boom...Out;)

NKAWTG...N

Firefighter/Paramedic - 8 years with city of Tucson Fire Dept - 2 years as EMT prior to FF in Sacramento.
My sister was on the FD first and encouraged me to get my EMT cert and to test. She and I are now on the same paramedic company, PM13, on different shifts. We actually are each others relief person.

We work a 5/6 schedule, 24 hours on, 24 off for five shifts then we have six days off.
Yeah for six days off. Our little city is growing. Our department is not growing as quickly. We get pretty abused on the busy nights....

Adam did make it into our fire academy. However, due to some weird technicality (paperwork thing) he and several others didnt make it through. He was doing great and looks great! He's working at Square2 for the time being! We have two skydiving chicks firefighters on our dept... I was hoping for a dude to join us....

Im a volunteer police officer, think you have them in the states too. Might be called a reserve tho. Its good. Can do my bit as and when I please. Had some really satisfying jobs in this role :)

ALthough im only a nipper myself Ive just complleted my mentors course so I now tutor probationer constables! :S

Had some hairy situations, had some fun too. Helped out after the London bombings on an anti terrorist initiative. Next shift will be tomorrow, so im looking forward to it!

Joined because (if im honest) I wanted the fun and excitement, but also making my community a better place. Sounds cheesy I know.

And to clear things up. The paramedics in UK work there asses off helping pepople, the police run round like lunatics because are seriously underpowered and when arent responding to jobs are proactive and look for things. Firefighters sit around playing pool and cleaning there equipment until there needed. Must be tough!