lovlka

Should I buy this beginners rig?

Hi!
I'm finally a certified skydiver, and looking for my first rig. I've got an offer, and I just wonder if it's something to go for, or if I should keep looking...
At least the size of the rig and canopy fits my size and experience.

Javelin J-2, 11-92, sn 3602, some parts changed
Cricket reserv ca 150 sqf, 10-92, sn CR-5040R, orange
Sabre 190, 12-91, sn 2618, many colors, good shape (no photo yet)
Cypres 05-00, service and new batteries 02-08

The price is ~1300€

The main parachute may be okay for your weight and experience. How about the reserve?

The Cricket reserve should not be loaded more than 1.0 pounds per square foot; the manufacturer says maximum 160 pounds, less than 75 kilos. Allowing 10 or 11 kilos for the rig, you need to weigh less than 65 kilos to jump this reserve safely. You didn't write how much you weigh, so I don't know if this is safe for you.

Also, the Cricket reserve is TSO-C23c Category A, limited to 198 pounds (90 kilos) exit weight and 130 knots, less than C23c Category B, 254 pounds (115 kilos) and 150 knots like most other common reserves.

Mark

Since he's going to deliver the main canopy packed in the rig, he should be able to realize that it doesn't fit. We'll see about that...

You all say it's overpriced. It seems to be in the same price range as the other similar rigs I've looked at. Maybe it's the powerful swedish krona that sets you off? ;)

I've not yet decided to buy this equipment, but I will propably make some tests jumps this weekend. Of course I will also discuss this with my instructors.

The size of the reserve seems a bit small, as some of you said. But is it ok for me to jump with it, or is it plain stupid?

Dunno. How sure are you of your ability to safely land that size all F111 seven cell into a tight area at sunset (first reserve rides don't always happen at noon over the landing area)?

I'd figure that rig to be worth about US$2000 - $300 reserve, $400 container, $7-800 Cypres and $500-600 for the main.

Don't buy it if you don't get a chance to pack the main yourself before making the deal final. A 190 in a J2 is gonna completely suck to pack. You should know how much it's going to suck before you buy it.

Don't buy it if you don't get a chance to pack the main yourself before making the deal final. A 190 in a J2 is gonna completely suck to pack. You should know how much it's going to suck before you buy it.

Haha, thanks for the... support?
Perhaps I will spend most of my time this weekend packing instead of jumping. If so, I don't have to think twice on whether I should buy or not.

He has already made up his mind. The certified rigger will talk him into it. The whole thread is useless.

My eastern European friend. For 2000€ you can buy AMAZINGLY NEW gear in the states. I say keep looking or at least have your rigger pack that 190 for you.

Let's see it happen.

He has already made up his mind. The certified rigger will talk him into it. The whole thread is useless.

My eastern European friend. For 2000€ you can buy AMAZINGLY NEW gear in the states. I say keep looking or at least have your rigger pack that 190 for you.

Let's see it happen.

I've not at all made up my mind, and the thread is not useless at all. In fact I was doubtful to the rig before creating this thread, and I'm very greatful for the input you all have given.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to test jump the rig this weekend, and that will help a lot of course. Whether I buy it or not is still not decided, but based on the overall attitude in this thread, I probably won't.

But who knows. There could be an error in the specs he gave me, or it could somehow be really easy to pack. Then what's the problem really?

Again, thanks for the input. Keep it coming!
/your Northern European friend

The problem is that the reserve is overloaded and too small. The problem is that even if you can shoe horn the main in there is is oversized and will stress out the flaps, stiffiners, etc. And the final problem is that the rig cost to bloody much! :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

for all of the reasons above

Run away and don't look back.

I think you've already become emotionally attached.:S Don't let the desire for a rig push you into a poor, unsafe purchase. I've watched lots of newbies get in over their head with gear purchases because of poor advice or over enthusiasim. You've asked for advice, I think it's good, please consider it.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

How old is all this gear? Just from the photos, the container has had some work done on it and rather poor workmanship at that. I'd keep looking. I know, you are anxious for your own rig but, as was mentioned by Councilman... keep looking. Don't get frustrated and don't get 'sold'! I've seen it happen too often and too many un-happy folks.

Chuck

A 150 reserve is too small for anyone until they have at least intermediate canopy skills. This is REGARDLESS of how much they load it. Too many people think that wingloading is everything but when you get to a small canopy you have to understand that the canopy now turns faster also. So you're back to being under a dangerous canopy.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

A 150 reserve is too small for anyone until they have at least intermediate canopy skills. This is REGARDLESS of how much they load it. Too many people think that wingloading is everything but when you get to a small canopy you have to understand that the canopy now turns faster also. So you're back to being under a dangerous canopy.

Eh. I did land a Crickett 147 resetve with about 150 jumps. I flies nice and flares nice. How about you? ;)

Let's see it happen.

Talk to Aerodyne in Tampa Florida. They have rigs on the shelf waiting for a harness in your size. It takes less than 2 weeks.
If I had the euro bucks I wouldn't even think twice about it as low as the dollar is.
I wouldn't even test jump the used gear you're looking at. You're wasting your time at that price.

Sounds like you have been given some solid advice from some experienced people here....

Dont buy the rig. There are plenty more out there so dont allow yourself to get 'buying fever' from your friendly local rigger....

Apart from the fact that the price doesnt sound too great, you will not be safe under that reserve, and the container is too small for the canopy :S
= Easy Decision

This seems very high, considering that there are only 4 years left on the Cypres.

You're right. Instead of seeing an 8 year old Cypres, I saw a Cypres with 8 years left on it. Doh.

$400 for the Cypres, so US$1600-ish for the complete rig.

If there is one tem in the industry that makes me cringe, it's.....

..... "beginner rig".

What term should I use to make you happy? I've just finished my AFF, and I want to buy some gear...

Btw, I tried the rig on today, and it didn't really fit. So I definitely won't buy this rig. The main canopy however was in really good shape, and it was a nice one too... (Black, pink, blue, green ;))

It was delivered unpacked, and it wasn't any harder to pack than the student equipment I used. Still I've only packed ~20 rigs. Whatever the specs say, this 190 canopy did fit in the Javelin J-2. It might not be the best solution though... or?

I'm not going to buy this rig, so thanks a lot for your opinions! I will propably be back with more questions...

You’d be amazed at what some people are willing to sell to another person. The term "beginners rig" is sometimes synonymous with ... some old piece of shit rig to sell to an unsuspecting newbie.

That's why it makes a person cringe. A real beginners rig should also be suitable for an experienced jumper. It may not be the desired size however it should not have short comings of many of the "beginners rig" I've seen.

That's all.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto