"I didn't go to the WFFC this year because..."

Hello all,

I've been communicating with people who attended the WFFC this year, and most of what I have been getting has been disappointment.

But I would now like to hear from people WHO SPECIFICALLY DID NOT ATTEND, and to cite their reasons:

too expensive

too far

too hot

too few exotic aircraft

been there / done that.

Opinions, please. You will not be quoted unless you specifically ask me to do so, and you are welcome to PM me instead.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

too expensive (when you factor in gas prices that is)
too far
too hot (no A/C in my car for a 9 hour drive)
just not comfortable opening at or below 3K
gear issues (my slider was too small and the new one didnt get to me until the first day of the WFFC).

maybe next year.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

We were planning to honeymoon there, but Medic got into the fire academy at the last second and the class continued through the entire convention.
Otherwise we would have been there for a week! I am sorry I missed it. There is something magical about Rantoul to me.....it is where Medic & i first realized we loved each other ('02), where we got engaged ('04) and where we were planning to honeymoon!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

I dont like CORN

The weather in IL in August BITES... hot muggy stormy... which makes all that fucking CORN
grow even bigger and more vile. Move the thing to early summer when the weather is better.

Not worth paying $70 extra to jump out of the same planes I usually jump out of. AND I do not drink very much beer. If I did go I would only go for a few days... no proration.

Get the C-130.. get the Connie... Get the bombers...get the Jet... perhaps I will rethink coming.

Bump.

Anybody else? It looked to me like people were staying away in droves this year, and I'd like to hear more opionions from people who considered going to the WFFC, but decided not to or to go elsewhere.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I have an obligatory conference for my profession that coincides with WFFC, and I'm placing vocation ahead of avocation in the queue at this point in my life.

Summerfest, which is up the road just a hitch, has great vibes and an emphasis on safety. Consensus in my own private universe is that Summerfest better captures the old Convention spirit of the Nelson brothers than the modern WFFC does and that's what I prefer.

What Amazon said, except for the part about beer ;)

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

I actually had a job lined up to be working for a vendor at WFFC again this yr but had to tell him I couldn't make it b/c I found out my grandmother had cancer 2 weeks before the convention and decided that time with her was more important.WFFC will be around next year, but it looks like my grandmother may not be.I'd much rather have her.[:/]

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Specifically:
My wife transfered MY money from an account I have specifically for skydiving, competitions & the WFFC
She drained it. (BUt, she has really nice clothes & went on vacation w/ her cousins)

Specifically:
My wife transfered MY money from an account I have specifically for skydiving, competitions & the WFFC
She drained it. (BUt, she has really nice clothes & went on vacation w/ her cousins)

Hi Bobsled

Have you told Rhino about this[:/]

R.I.P.

hrmm seems like Jefe' Rodriguez needs to get in some new and intresting Air craft hopefully the Perris Jet will be ok to jump next year and you never Know Jefe' could have something up his sleave for next year and all else fails just come to have a good time and TOGA TOGA TOGA !!!! at the Hellfish Tent
WFFC STAFF 2006
www.freefall.com
Questions? Call the office at 217-AAA-JUMP

You know, a great deal of people are commenting about aircraft. that's not what it's about for me. It's not about the free beer either. I drank far more Corona this year than free stuff. It's about the vibe and the people's attitude in general. This was my fourth WFFC in Rantoul (yea, that's means all of them), and this time I had BY FAR the best time. Maybe it's because of alot of things, but I tend to believe that it's the simple fact that so many naysayers and negative people stayed away.

Size aside, to be, this was the best convention in 5 years (everyone knows how bad '01 in Quincy was), and if it gets bigger again, fine, but don't change the tone...
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

)
---------------------------------------------------------

this attitude, in a nutshell, is why i stayed away.
geesusfuck......3000' ??????

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

)
---------------------------------------------------------

this attitude, in a nutshell, is why i stayed away.
geesusfuck......3000' ??????

I usually pull at 3K, what I would not like is knowing that this requirement is because the next plane load is actually so close behind.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Too dangerous...

This is the one thing I would have to disagree with. This years WFFC was many times better than previous years and even better than some of the busier DZ's I've visited on the west coast with small landing areas.With the addition of the giant metal wind arrow on the ground, landing direction was never in question and canopy traffic was manageable. Stupid human tricks were just about non existant with the exception of a few poor choices made by canopy pilots who thought landing in front of the spinning,chopping,twirly things wasn't a bad idea. Golf cart traffic was not as bad and you didn't have to worry about getting run down as much as years prior(Macca didn't drive a cart this year. Any correlation in that?;)). I think the other reasons stated hold more water and should be adressed otherwise convention will cease being in the next few years. You can have all the jumpers you want but no aircraft (or vendors) and people are going to stay home at their DZ's and jump.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was too tied up with "Leap for Lupus" here in Seattle.

When you live in Seattle, summer is the best time of year. You don't want to go anywhere else.

It's too hot for my wife to travel to the Midwest in August.

Three kids at home and no Grandparents available right now to watch them. They are young teens, so not little babies, but they do need a grownups around.

Hopefully going to Costa Rica next winter. That'll be our skydiving trip for awhile.

Never been to Rantoul, but it sounds great. Maybe in a few years.

There's nothing there except the biplane that I'm interested in jumping

My home dropzone, Skydive Chicago, _has_ a Pitts biplane plus balloons, choppers, tailgates, etc. throughout our season. Not to mention golf carts, Cushmans, and world class freeflyers and after hours facilities. And people have the temerity to ask me why I don't drive a wee bit down the interstate to Rantoul ... :D

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!