BillyVance

What's the longest flight you've ever taken?

I know that whoever's from Australia and flown non-stop to the USA have me beat easily, but my longest is a 9000 mile non-stop from Atlanta to Frankfurt, Germany.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This is why I love Billyvance.

It's late, I'm tipsy, I'm bored, and I've been checking the bonfire for some sort of enterainment every few minutes to no avail.

Then, out of nowhere, I check the bonfire and there's 6 posts. "Eureka!" I think. And every single post is from Billy.

And then he posts a thread, or two, or four. And I laugh. Heartily.

I'm only slightly disappointed tonight because there's no picture.

Thanks Billy. :ph34r:

BTW, I've flown non-stop from LaGuardia to Athens and back.

I flew from Sydney halfway to San Francisco, (half hour shy) then our plane turned around and flew back to Sydney. (Someone had a stroke.) That was like, 13 hours. Then I got up and completed the flight the next day, about 14 hours!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Longest single flight was LAX to Auckland (6,510 miles, 7,464 if you add the Seattle-LA portion).

Longest trip was Seattle to Bangkok, via Tokyo. (7,630 miles).

Handy calculator to find these numbers: http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I flew from Sydney halfway to San Francisco, (half hour shy) then our plane turned around and flew back to Sydney. (Someone had a stroke.) That was like, 13 hours. Then I got up and completed the flight the next day, about 14 hours!

That really sucks.... did the dude survive?? :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Middle seat coach the whole way.

Yes, I wanted to KILL someone.

Yuck...

My worst day was Birmingham to Louisville, Louisville to Pheonix, Pheonix to LAX, LAX to San Jose... all via SouthWest. Five goddamn airports... B| That was when I decided I was gonna look for the best routes, not the best fares... sheesh...

Yeah, from what we were told the next day it was a mild stroke, but they had to take precautions.

The woman that had the stroke had the money seat though, front row of coach, next to the window, tons of leg room.. so when we checked in the next day I asked if I could switch my seat (to the now vacant one)... does that make me evil? :)

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Yeah, definitely my US/Aus travels, but one of those above all: We had a NASTY headwind, and it slowed us down so much we ended up having to divert to refuel. I spent a total of 22 hours on that plane, or something ridiculous like that.
cavete terrae.

Am I reading this correctly? Half hour out of San Francisco with a stroke victim and they turned back to Sydney???? Why didn't they land in San Fran? I'm really confused.:S

Chris

Few years ago:
Flying LA-Manila (Philippines) via Hawaii. Plane turned around 3 hours into the flight because of a bomb threat. Spent the night at LAX because immigration was closed... Then left at 8AM for a 16 hour trip.
This year: LA-Shanghai. After 11 hour of flight, the plane has to stop in Seoul because of mechanical problems. Spent the night in the plane (immigration was closed as well, so no one could leave), but business class made it easier to bear than sleeping at a gate! Except for the fact we ran out of booze at midnight... Then off to Shanghai at 9AM on another airline.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Perth Arpt, Perth, AU (PER) to
Subang Kuala Lumpur Intl, Kuala Lumpur, MY (KUL) to
Chiang Kai Shek Arpt, Taipei, TW (TPE) to
Los Angeles Intl, Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to
Miami Intl, Miami, FL (MIA)
One Way Distances:
Distance 13720 miles 22070 km
26 hours in transit and I arrived the same day I left:| Man was I tired[:/][:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Non-stop: Bangkok --> New York (8640miles - 17.5 hours).. that was so intense..

With stopovers: Bangkok --> San Francisco (via Singapore, Hong Kong & Los Angeles) (10,065 miles) - though this was back in 1992.. now you can just fly directly to LA in 14 hours

Am I reading this correctly? Half hour out of San Francisco with a stroke victim and they turned back to Sydney???? Why didn't they land in San Fran? I'm really confused.:S

Chris

She meant half hour away from reaching the half-way mark.

Naples, Italy to Rota, Spain to Tokyo, Japan to Anchorage, Alaska to either LA or San Fran, California...then on through DFW to San Antonio, Texas.

Gotta love those "Flying Tigers" military lease flights... [:/]
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My longest flight:
Sao Paulo (Brazil) – New York 12 h
New York Airport 3 h
New York – Tokio 14 h
Toko Airport 3 h
Tokio – Shanhai 2 h
Shanhai Airport 3 h
Shanhai – Hong Kong 2 h

The las part (Shanghai – Hong Kong) was a Bonus because my visa was not correct. So I had to fly to Hong Kong, get a new visa and fly back to Shanghai the next day…

Total travel Time: 39 hours!!!

And the bad thing, this trip was done for a job interview. I had to fly back 2 days later and I did not take the job, by the way…
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Seattle, WA ---> Osan, South Korea

you know the flight is long when you get 3 meals, read 2 books, and a good night's sleep all before landing

how bout the way back-you do all that and land 5 minutes before you left. THAT was a little more odd than losing my wednesday:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

The worst trip ever was when I worked for Eastern Airlines. We were on the third day of a four day trip. We had already done ATL to every single small airport within 5 states on the first two days. The third day we did ATL, ORD, ATL, SJU so we added a Spanish qualified flight attendant on our stop back through ATL. Her flight was delayed so we had to wait on the tarmack for two hours. As we taxi out this drunk gets out of his seat and starts storming up and down the cabin. We put him in his seat numerous times then got the captain. We finally had to taxi back to the gate to put him off. Back we go toward the runway (we have been on duty for about 10 hours now and I'm ready to get there). During takeoff he aborts for a mechanical problem so back we go to the gate again. They don't allow us to take passengers off while they work for almost 4 hours. We leave the gate 5 minutes shy of the crew being on duty for 14 hours. We still had to work the flight to SJU that night then get up and return to ATL for a trip to LAX the next day.

By the time I get home from that trip I never volunteered for a 4 day trip ever again.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.