reinhart36

Do I accept the wrong reline? Rant..

My opoinion mate... It sucks. It really does. However, this is skydiving, and we are a small community. All the manufacturers believe it or not do do their best to keep everyone happy and they all do their part for the sport and are constantly finding ways to makie it safer, make it evolve and supply fantastic products for our sport with great customer service.
Every now and then someone is going to get screwed over by the manufacturers and it is not because they have wanted to screw ou over, they actually want you to be 100% happy. Mistakes happen in life confusion happens in life and upsetting customers happen. With this being a small sport and we all know that everyone in the sport does their part to keep it alive.

I suggest you give them a break. They fucked up and they have admitted it and i am sure they are super sorry.
You got the bad end of the stick. Maybe for you to do your part in the sport you can just accept they made a mistake and let them resolve it for you.
You are not going to get free stuff, you are not going to get it cheap but they will remember you and i am sure they will appreciate you.
Maybe you can forgive them and let them do it again.

I suggest you let them slide and let them fix their mistake and be thankful. You should also ask for a free tshirt to keep you happy while they resolve the issues.

Manufacturers in skydiving do make mistakes but if you meet an y of the manufacturers i am sure you would have a great time jumping with them, learning from them or sitting and having a beer with them. They are our fellow skydivers and i am sure they have not messed yours up on purpose and they probably feel very terrible.

Shit happens. be the good guy and accept it and let them fix their mistakes.

Just my opinion but i deal with manufacturers every day for my customer orders and i can say first hand that they are all great people who go out of their way for us and they want you to be happy. They also make mistakes. They never feel good about themselves when they make mistakes either and are usually the first to admit it. If they have been honest with you i think you should just have a bit more patience.

Hope it all works out mate. If you need a canopy in meantime ask for a demo canopy.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

You can be irritated all you'd like, but it won't get the lines faster. If you want the RW lineset, I'd make it clear that you want it (yes, you have already made it clear), and that you'll wait. Not much else you can do about it; the canopy's with them.

It's wintertime, so it's more of a pisser than a dent in your skydiving, right?

But yeah, I'd make it clear that I wanted what I wanted.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OK, so fist off, not many canopies pull double buty as crew and sport canopies, and even fewer offer different line sets, so let's just say it, this is for your Triathalon, right?

Anyway, just take it with the hybrid lineset. It will make it easier to resell, and really, at 1.05 wing loading, the performance gain from microline shouldn't be a big concern.

A Tri 190 will always be either a crew canopy, or a beginner canopy, and a guy looking for a first rig isn't going to care what kind of lines it has.

Also, are you going somwhere? I too live in Ohio, and literally we have had alomost a foot of snow in the last 48 hours. What's the rush to get your canopy.

My canopy is on the way home from a reline at PD. I sent it in around the first of the year, and when they asked how soon I needed it back, I told the mid-March at the latest. I'm not going to be using it, and if they get a canopy in from a guy who jumps year round, or is planning a trip to jump in the winter time, they should be able to work on his canopy first, and get it back in the air.

A Tri 190 will always be either a crew canopy, or a beginner canopy, and a guy looking for a first rig isn't going to care what kind of lines it has.

Also, are you going somwhere? I too live in Ohio, and literally we have had alomost a foot of snow in the last 48 hours. What's the rush to get your canopy.

Thanks for the response. That's an interesting point you make about the value of the hybrid set. I actually wanted the RW set so that all of my lines were the same material, and thus would stretch similarly over time.

No big rush really, but last year I started jumping in March, and I intended to do the same this year.

To the others who said "be nice" "let it slide", etc., I should point out that I was very friendly and polite to the person on the phone. I didn't complain at all. Hence the vent here.

If it's a Triathalon and it's not your primary main, why wouldn't you want CRW lines on it. A long time ago I had a TRI 160 with CRW lines on it and of all the canopies I've had and sold, I wish I still had that one. At the wing loading your talking about your not putting microline on for performance. By lining it with the Dacron CRW set up you have a canopy that is much more versitle and will most likely be easier to sell of you decide to eventually.

DA

I actually wanted the RW set so that all of my lines were the same material, and thus would stretch similarly over time.

this simplifies the responses greatly

normally, I'd say 2.5 weeks turnaround for about anything is quick nowadays, so waiting a little longer to get what you asked for would not be a big deal

however, your reason for an RW set is not really a good one, especially for this canopy - so I'd go with Dave and Deadbug and consider it a fortunate mistake and take the canopy as is - use the opportunity for good will with the company. Maybe a discount on a new canopy sometime, or a t-shirt or promo giveaways.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I actually wanted the RW set so that all of my lines were the same material, and thus would stretch similarly over time.

How many jumps do plan on putting on this canopy? With 100 jumps, and a 1.05 WL, there's a good chance that within 100 jumps or so, you may be looking to downsize a notch. I wouldn't worry about stretching (or shrinking) of your lines for 100, or even 200 jumps.

Just to be clear, the hybrid set-up is mainly micro line, and Dacron 'A' lines, for docking purposes. Even if they did stretch un-evenly, replacing two Dacron A lines is a very inexpensive repair.

On the off chance you want to give crew a shot, you already have a suitable canopy for an introduction to crew. Everyone else has to borrow a crew canopy, or call for a demo crew canopy, hook it up to their container, or borrow a container as well. You're on easy street in that case.

I sent a canopy to its manufacturer for a new line set recently. I was told turn-around time would be 2.5 weeks. Note that I'm not necessarily saying it's the canopy in my profile.

I had a hybrid/crew lineset on it, and requested an RW set be installed. I called in advance to talk about this, then clearly labelled it on the work order, then spoke to them on the phone a second time while work was in progress.

I was told it would be completed and ship on Monday (over three weeks since they received it from me).

Tuesday, they called my phone and let it ring twice before hanging up. So, I called them back (since I hadn't heard anything) to find out that they accidentally installed the same type of lines on it again!

They say that "the other day" several orders for the RW lines I wanted came in, so now they don't have any available and if I want them to correct the mistake, I'll have to wait a couple weeks for a new order to come in.

Shouldn't my order that was placed several weeks ago trump ones that just came in?!?!?

The person on the phone was not even remotely apologetic, didn't say "sorry" a single time, and seemed annoyed that I didn't just tell them to send it to me as is. Of course there was also no mention of any kind of discount for accepting the wrong lines.

I said I'd call back with a decision...

So - any advice? [:/]

thanks

Eric

First off, please accept our apology for the error in the line set. As skydivers we know what it's like to have our gear "leave the nest" while we eagerly wait to jump ;-)

We will be in contact today, to make sure that any decisions are made to best suit and benefit your skydiving.

There have also been a few very valid posts on the subject of leaving the lines in the Hybrid configuration. But at the end of the day we need to make you our customer happy. So a new "correct" line set is ordered and will be ready to replace the Hybrid one we incorrectly installed.

Please feel free to contact us in this or any other related matter.

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Marketing Coordinator
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300

>>
To the others who said "be nice" "let it slide", etc., I should point out that I was very friendly and polite to the person on the phone. I didn't complain at all. Hence the vent here.

Just as a side note, I would rather have a customer raise hell with me personally and a come up with a mutually acceptable conclusion than have him/her vent on a public forum and possibly damage my reputation. (I can do that on my own ;) )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

>>

Just as a side note, I would rather have a customer raise hell with me personally and a come up with a mutually acceptable conclusion than have him/her vent on a public forum and possibly damage my reputation. (I can do that on my own ;) )

Amen to that.

It seems people rush these days to the forums to complain about something that can be so easily sorted out as demonstrated by Karl in responding to this thread.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

reply]It seems people rush these days to the forums to complain about something that can be so easily sorted out as demonstrated by Karl in responding to this thread.

Since Aerodyne turned out to be kind and helpful, now this thread serves only to advertise to people that Aerodyne fixes it's mistakes. What's wrong with that?

Go Aerodyne! :D

He did not even name the company he was dealing with. How is that venting about a company on a public forum:S(go ahead and have another drink:S). And if he did isnt that what this forum is for???? He very politelly asked for advise to resolve the issue. The company did a good job fixxing the issue.

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I'm just saying direct communication is very effective.

The "have a drink" comment came right out of left field.....

..... but hey, sometimes the best ideas come from the strangest places!

BARKEEP! Oh wait. I'm jumping in impossibly blue skies until sunset..... guess I'll have to wait..... I'm on a 10 minute call.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I have a Tri and I wish it had the dacron lines on it. I load mine much more than you do your's. My friend just had dacron lines put on his spectre on purpose and he loves it. Some heavy loaded camera guys prefer dacron. Just the CRew lines do not make your tri a Hybrid, you still need three rings on top. Dacron lines make your canopy universally more appealing. More jumps before needing a reline. More tolerant of sloppy packings brisk openings as the lines are better at absorbing some of the force.

Spectra lines will not wear uniformally just because the material is the same, outer lines and brakes wear out before the inner lines. This effect creeps up on you slowly with funky openings and nutty flaring.

Sounds like the company accidentally gave you a "good guy deal" ( IMO) and you learned some things you might not have known before.

I have a Tri and I wish it had the dacron lines on it. I load mine much more than you do your's. My friend just had dacron lines put on his spectre on purpose and he loves it. Some heavy loaded camera guys prefer dacron. Just the CRew lines do not make your tri a Hybrid, you still need three rings on top. Dacron lines make your canopy universally more appealing. More jumps before needing a reline. More tolerant of sloppy packings brisk openings as the lines are better at absorbing some of the force.

Spectra lines will not wear uniformally just because the material is the same, outer lines and brakes wear out before the inner lines. This effect creeps up on you slowly with funky openings and nutty flaring.

Sounds like the company accidentally gave you a "good guy deal" ( IMO) and you learned some things you might not have known before.

a Tri Hybrid lineset gives the user microlines all around and Dacron Center As. Fairly different than all-around Dacron :)

a Tri Hybrid lineset gives the user microlines all around and Dacron Center As. Fairly different than all-around Dacron :)

Thats the set I have on mine which I thought was rigger custom. I read some where that the hybrid is just like the crew but with a shaped leading edge as opposed to a more open leading edge. Retractable PC= three top rings ( which mine does not have) and Dacron all around. When I bought mine I was told specifically by the gear store it was not a hybrid but it did have center dacron lines. I definately would not do CReW with a trailing PC and bridle.

Which one is it?

And a re-inforced leading edge. :P

ltdiver

That would be the full CReW version of the Tri with its more open nose, not the hybrid.:P:o:P

Forgive me. I bought a Hybrid-Tri from Aerodyne back in 1998 and it DID have a re-inforced leading edge. Standard from the factory. Didn't know they had changed since then.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Forgive me. I bought a Hybrid-Tri from Aerodyne back in 1998 and it DID have a re-inforced leading edge. Standard from the factory. Didn't know they had changed since then.

ltdiver

Did it have only center A's of dacron? Did it have the three top retactable bridle rings? By re-inforced do you mean wider tape?:):o:)

ltdiver

Did it have only center A's of dacron? Did it have the three top retactable bridle rings? By re-inforced do you mean wider tape?:):o:)

Why do you ask? :S Yes, it could be converted to a CReW canopy with different pc and bridle. It came with 2 sets...one for RW and one for CReW. Red center dacron A lines and 3 top retractable bridle rings. Plus heavier tape on the leading edge.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon