weegegirl

Mountain Bikes

I got a Kona Kikapu a while back. Needed a stiffer rear spring, but other than that have had good luck with it. The disc brakes have awesome stopping power, but it's got the same endo problems that most full-suspension bikes have, so beware.

If you are doing mostly street riding, or flattish off-road riding, consider a hardtail with a suspension saddle. It gives you much the same sort of ride but without rebound of the tail while you're pedaling, which absorbs some of the power from your legs. When I use the Kikapu on the street for commuting I 'lock out' the rear shock with some very large cable ties so I don't get rebound.

Hubby and I both ride Gary Fischer bikes...we love them. Very nice ride.

I ride a Gary Fisher Aquila. Thinking about upgrading to a dual-suspension bike, but I'm pretty sure it'll be another Fisher.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I ride a road bike....Bianci Eros. Just got my young'un a little Trek road bike. I've been swearing that I'm gonna start mountain biking one of these days. When I'll find the time, who knows, but this thread has me salivating. Maybe this summer.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I ride a road bike....Bianci Eros.

I was able to get my wife a road bike last week. She picked out a Giant 2005 model that was still in the bike shop. Luckily it was, its an odd size, very XS frame, fits her perfectly. That's the first good bike (read: not a $100 wal-mart special) that she's ever owned and now she understands what makes a decent bike so much better then a crappy bike. This gives her the ability now to do triathalons, she's been really wanting to get into those competitions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I do LOVE my road bike. I love riding every day when I can....but I've only ever ridden road bikes. Don't know how well I'd handle (lol) "rough" terrain....but I think I'm gonna have to give it a go :)

Hope Morgan likes her new ride. I'm sure she already does though.... B|

Jay's little Trek bike is pretty awesome for a kids bike. It has Shimano Sora and Deore....which I think will hold up well for him. The shifters are the same as the Campy type, and are simpler to operate. Took no time for him to have the basics under control.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Bontrager Race. No longer made, not that light, but a nice riding steel hardtail. It was suspended with a RockShox Judy XL and a combination of Deore XT and Race Face Components.

My road ride was Trek 2100, then Trek 5200 outfitted with Ultegra. I was able to borrow a Litespeed Ultimate for while, which was nice.

All these rides are now past tense due to moving. Since you are considering a new bike I would look into Trek and or Specialized. I know everyone owns one but they offer a lot of bike of the money. I worked at a bike shop for about 8 years, which was a Trek/Specialized dealer and their product for the value and customer service was excellent.