Nightingale

Could you pass eighth grade math?

mean = average of the numbers in a set.
Median = the middle value of the numbers in a set

ALL three are types of average:

Mean is Sum of the set divided by the number of values in the set

Median is "the middle value of the numbers in a set" when the set is ranked in order

Mode is Most Often occuring number
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This seems like it would be very challenging for the typical 8th grader in the United States today. In fact, I doubt many k12 seniors could get past that either, but I grew up in California too.

I tutor eighth graders in math, and this could be straight out of one of their textbooks.

10/10

Now, 12th grade math???

Might be a different story for me......

Zipp0

They had 12th grade math? :$

My last year of math was 10th grade, I finished Algebra 3/4 (Trig?) That was all the credits I needed because I was smart and stuff. I wish I would have continued, I love math, but the teacher was a real drag. Thats the real reason I stopped. I didnt get her teaching style and she was a super-bitch :( Maybe I should go back to college?

I got 10/10 on this little quiz.

10/10.

But as a scientist, I use math for a living.:P

and yes, when you're a scientist, you often DO have to solve for "x"!;)

Yes, that's all well and good, but how often do you actually use the mode of a set?

Also, if "x" has an analytical solution, the problem isn't difficult enough. :D

10/10 but math is my fav :)

Me too! ::giggles:: If they'd just called it "finding the volume of jello in a bowl but cutting the slices reeeally thin and measuring each one" I think more people would like calculus. :D

ditto here :-)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Got them all, but the two about terms aren't really math but vocabulary. (what's a 'integer', what's 'whole number', etc, what is a 'mode', etc). Math is best thought about in terms of pure calcualting concepts, not definitions. (i.e., I've never seen much value in asking what the 'mode' of a sample was versus just asking which one occurred the most often.....scientists and mathematicians are always creating their own language for very simple things - job security)

I was hoping to see a question about cutting down trees in the forest and asking how I 'felt' about it. This was very heartening to see math instead of sociology.

I'm not cynical - you are.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Cool - My kid's going into 8th next year - at least I can pretend to be at least as smart as her for one more year . . . 9th though . . . gettin' nervous.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun