MC208B

favorite jump plane

I got to jump out of the bomb bay of a B-17 once . . . that was really cool!

Awww, man! You lucky SOB! A B-17 or a B-52 would be amazing!
I've only jumped a twin otter (soon to be super-twin) and a caravan. Of those two I prefer the otter. The Otter's ride is nice & smooth, the door is bigger and you don't have to fight getting blown off the plane by the prop blast like with a caravan.
Color me spoiled. ;)
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I have to say that my favorite is the Skyvan.. Tailgate, enough room to stand up in, and wide enough to launch big ways out of it with no problem.. Hanging exits are also cool.. Ever tried to launch a Magic Carpet out of a King Air or Otter? Kinda tough.. Launching big ways from a King Air is a pain in the ass with that skinny little door.. Hell, give me any airplane and I'll jump out of it..
Mike

Froggie,
I will definitely let you know when I am coming to Cross Keys - not too long from now! Are you guys there only on weekends or every day? I'll have to find a tight suit to keep my feathers from slowing down my fall rate! Never can say I've jumped with a frog before! Cheers!
Elisa
P.S. Any idea how long it takes to get there from Baltimore?

Wow, dove, you live near me! I live in Bethesda, MD. Crosskeys is one of the closest DZ's to Baltimore. Never been there, but I'd love to check it out. Maybe we could get a few dz-com people over there for a get-together (for the few of us who live on the Mid Atlantic East Coast)B|
From Baltimore I'd guess Crosskeys is probably a little over 1.5 hrs w/no traffic.
Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

The CASA rocks! It is just so cool to dive off and all of a sudden the relative wind hits you and you can look up between your legs and watch yourself fall away for a second. Whats even cooler is we have one almost every weekend.:P
Craig

CASAs RULE !! How can you beat a running head-first dive from 14000ft ? Just the initial rush is worth the trip ! I do hope to jump Mullin's KingAir, though......
Grogs, look me up at Carolina Sky Sports next weekend.....I'll be the one cart-wheeling across the LZ, mowing down little kids left and right..........
The "Don" of PLF

has to be the old russian AN2, its a biplane that was built in 1948, one engine 1000 horsepower, spits, farts, and all the rudder?? squeaks like all hell on the runway, takes a good 20 minutes up to hieght, but after your jump and this thing comes in for a landing looking like a huge bus coming in in slow motion.... looks and sounds unrealiable, but the old thing got me my A licence so it rules.
*deep breath* please
I love you

speedracer and dove,
its about 1 1/2 hours from balitmore maryland to Xkeys.

Maybe we could get a few dz-com people over there for a get-together (for the few of us who live on the Mid Atlantic East Coast)

thats what me and stacy have been saying forever now! Come on down! wingis coming to Xkeys in august, and we can count on grogs to skip on down any weekend. Hes local enough :) Cant wait for you guys to visit us.
froggie

SpeedRacer,
Wow - you are close! I am in Columbia, but work often in DC. (I am a freelancer) What is your home DZ? Are you jumping this weekend? Weather looks nice... I have already pulled out my rig and the wonderful aroma of jumping has got me even more anxious. Can't wait til tomorrow!
Elisa

Dove & Frog,
Well, I'm still waiting to get my Cypres back from its 4 year maintenance. Plus I have a slight problem with my ear, and even tho it doesn't bother me much, people are telling me not to jump until its completely better. (Evidently rapid changes in altitude are not good if you have water in your ear.) I don't know, though. It's almost completely better & doesn't really bother me.
My home DZ is Skydive the Point in West Point, Virginia. That's where I learned to jump & the people there are really great. They're like my second family almost. But recently I realized that Xkeys is almost exactly the same driving time from my house as West Point, so there's no reason I shouldn't come up for a visit soon (but not this weekend).:)Speed Racer
"Blue Skies, Red eyes, Sore thighs!"

most of ya'll are too young to remember these, but one of the best jump ships I've ever been on was the DC3 known as "Mister Douglas"... it had a killer stereo, and at the nationals boogie one summer, we listened to "Free Bird" on the way to altitude... then had a near flawless 24 way... what a f*cking rockin' good time that was!!! B|

I just drove from Cross Keys back home about a month ago, and I passed through Baltimore and DC on the way back. I want to say it was actually more like 3 hours. Still not too bad though.
Froggie - I don't know about 'any given weekend' It's about 7 hours and I'm not as tough as Sis is when it comes to that type of thing. :)

grogs.
guess my mom really does drive like a maniac. she told me the 1 1/2 hours. lol. cause you know that i wont be driving that far any day soon! I didnt realize how long it took you to get down here. you were here for 1 1/2 days then you were home before i knew it. Geeze, we need to pick you up in a plane or something, eliminate the 7 hour drive.
froggie

Lets see, I have jumped only three different planes, well 4 if you count Mike Mullins King Air as a "different type" of King Air than the one at Eloy. The Skyvan ROCKS, its my ultimate favorite, its like skydiving out of your garrage door! Plenty of room to strech out before exit as well as room to set up linked exits. Although, I especially liked bieng the last out a few times during novice status (solos after AFF) and getting a good running start before the exit, front loop getting into a tight ball, you can actually hover in the door for a bit. My second favorite would have to be the Twin Otter, its a good, stable, airplane and it gets to altitude fast and has a good size door. Then theres the King Air, its kinda hard to position in the door, especially front float position, but you do get to altitude fast, and at least recently at Eloy and Coolidge, $10.00 JT's.

I've been in 3 planes now, 4 if you assume that the FrankenOtter isn't just a regular Otter. The FrankenOtter is by far the best. Regular Otters are OK, but they're a little too slow. The door on the KingAir is just too small, and the Caravan is nice with only a few people in it, but a full load seems to take forever to get to altitude.
There ya go, another vote for the FrankenOtter.

<>
I was hoping someone would mention Mr. D. Mr. Douglas is a favorite of mine. You could get up and dance in the aisle while climbing to altitude, not to mention dirt dive, nap, read a book...... We had him at the "old" skydive chicago for a good part of the 97 season, and it used to clip the trees at the end of the runway as it took off! I don't have that many DC3 jumps though, and I've never mastered the exit! Ton of fun, though!
Lady Luck (another DC3) has called Skydive Chicago home for at least part of the year lately, but we don't seem to use her too much. Most people prefer the super otters since they climb so much faster, and the DC3 exit is a challenge!

Yo, froggie, y'all need to post whenever you start getting a DZ.com get together going in X-Keys. I'm only about 3 1/2 hrs away, and you all are on my list this summer. Only trouble is, I generally work weekends and nights, so a little lead time would help. Plus, I have yet to jump the FrankenOtter - but don't worry, I'll bring a case of beer!
-Patkat
P.S. bang out those student jumps so we can make a jump together!

frogie,
i'm visiting in july. just got my tickets today. i have a stop in phily. you think they would just let me out over crosskeys, on the way ? i'm also wondering, why does it have to take only 1.5 hours to fly from columbus to phily but it's an 10 hour drive? man i wish my car had wings and a F110-GE-129 jet engine in it......now i have a question for ya . shoul i come on a friday afternoon and stay untill sunday morn. or on sat. afternoon and stay until monday morn.? only got a few days for this trip. i have to steal my sister's car since i have to leave mine back here in germany......
<>