mikewza

New canopy packing advice

since we were on vacation this week I had a packer pack my new pilot for me a couple of times. - it is getting easier just nneds to be jumped more - now if only winter would end;););)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Well, after much patience (and many uttered cuss words. I can get the thing in the bag without making a mess.
However when i finish my Dbag always reminds me of Hillary Clinton trying on a miniskirt. I neaten and tuck but this is still what I get. I can still get better but this is ridiculus. One of the packers mentioned that my bag was a little short. What do you all think? Time for a new (bigger)Dbag?
www.skydivesandiego.com

Hey, just be happy it's not a cross-braced canopy. They are so short and so dense with all that extra material in there that packing a new one is like folding a greased volleyball.

I would much rather pack a new 100sf cross-braced than a new 190sq zp canopy, there is just so much material to control on big new zp canopies!

I would much rather pack a new 100sf cross-braced than a new 190sq zp canopy, there is just so much material to control on big new zp canopies!

I did both: Sabre2 170 vs Velocity. I can tell you that packing a slimy handkerchief sucks more. You can not even make a decent fold on it.

That post and picture made me laugh out loud :D Not trying to be an ass but I'm getting a new rig next month and Iknow I'm about to go through the same hell as you guys. Btw, all the chutes I've seen have fit inside the D-bag a little better. But I'm still new at this, so knows....

Looking at the picture I can imagine you spent 15 minutes trying to slip that first $#^@^ rubberband into the grommet. Talk about a tight fit! And with a new canopy? Wow.

Can't wait till I go though this....

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

The only air in that freakin bag is in the tufts of fabric hanging out of the bag. :S
The thing is a brick. Swinging the filled bag around by the bridal would make a formidable medeval weapon. :ph34r:
Yup, I'll order a new bag. Does anyone know what the sizing is? (s,m,l,xl) etc. or obscure #s?

www.skydivesandiego.com

Forgive my ignorance... I purchased my container used from a friend. I know that size I-43 is supposed to accomodate a range of at least 3 different canopy sizes 135-150. I was under the impression though that at least the Dbag was custom ordered per canopy size.
Crap. I m glad I don't have to stick a 150 in that thing.
We'll see.
www.skydivesandiego.com

I have a VectorII. I got it with a PdF Merit 170. I used a Pilot 150 and a Cobalt 135 there. The Cobalt was on the loose side. I've seen CRW dogs stuffed canopies that H/C can be barely closed and having an extra long closing loop. I think its not black or white, but it should be safe.

Yeah and CReW Dogs often free pack, and have their risers and shit all hanging out of their containers. Getting a student to give them a gear check may be great for comic effect, but I don't think it is a great example of what you can get away with! ;)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

after hooking the canopy up myself, i actually only took two tries to get it in the bag. but yea, an oily stripper is probably easier to wrestle.. :P

now, if i only dont fly backwards.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I have always herd of this happening, but have never seen it. It has however made me much more cautious. I double check line continuity with the rig on my back while it is still hanging. I would hate to cut away a brand new main! :S

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

If the main is hooked up backwards the line check will show it instantly.

If you lay the rig on the floor with the backpad down and the reserve pin flap facing the ceiling and then do a line check, the nose will face the floor and the steering lines will be on top of the lines. If it's hooked up backwards the nose will face up and the steering lines will be on the bottom.

It will be very clear that it's hooked up wrong.

Every jumper should be able to hook up their main and do a good line check by the time they get an A license.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

riiiiiiiiiiiight..

i think there are people with a couple more jumps that couldnt pack even if their life depended on it..

how many people do you know that buy a complete system and hook it up themselves and dont just drop that task to their rigger? one thing is for sure, i dont know many of them, and hey, there's no packers to be found around here.

aaaaaanyway, i'm pretty proud of having done this myself, and i'm even gonna jump it confidently! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Dear lord and baby Jesus! Just made four fresh packing attempts. 3 with the Wolmari method and one regular pro pack.
NONE MADE IT IN THE FAWKING BAG!!!
I want to break something! Or maybe cry like a little girl (Even though I am a 32 year old dude.) Arghhhh!! I am ready to bury this thing in the dirt for a week to kill some of the slipperyness! You no sooner compress it than it reinflates like a nerf ball. Its like packing a pillow into a change purse and almost as futile as training chimpanzees to be butlers.
%$#$!!*&!%
OK I feel a tiny bit better after venting. I'll practice more tomorrow.
Going to the DZ on Sunday. I hope to god I don't have to suffer the embarrasment of bringing this shit to the DZ unpacked.
Goodnight. I am gonna go cry myself to sleep.

Don't give up! If I can do it I know you can. I was sweating bullets when I was practicing, but with like everything else we learn in this sport, practice [building muscle memory] makes perfect. So don't give up on yourself!

If it's just the part about getting the canopy into the bag that's giving you problems [that's the part that gave me most trouble too], just pull the canopy out of the bag once you finish your stows and practice that part again. Repeat until you are comfortable.

I was also worried about bringing an unpacked rig back to my DZ, but then it became more motivation for me to to pack myself. Not only does it save me money for paying packers [no disrespect to all you AMAZING packers out there], but I like the feeling of learning and doing something on my own. That's what makes this sport so incredibly fulfilling.

One last thing I've noticed, is many experienced skydivers using a sport canopy use these black rubber bands for stowing the lines. They are much more durable and much easier to stretch. This helped me a lot when I was learning to pack. I'm still very new so don't know if these are a special kind of stowing band but you should inquire with the packers/instructors at your DZ. Good luck and keep it up!

Well, after much patience (and many uttered cuss words. I can get the thing in the bag without making a mess.
However when i finish my Dbag always reminds me of Hillary Clinton trying on a miniskirt. I neaten and tuck but this is still what I get. I can still get better but this is ridiculus. One of the packers mentioned that my bag was a little short. What do you all think? Time for a new (bigger)Dbag?

I've just started packing my first new rig and going throught the same dramas as everyone before me. From what I understand the dbag is part of the container and not the part of the canopy. It's sized so that when you put the canopy in it it will be roughly the right size and shape to fit the container, changing the dbag will just swap one problem for another, ie closing the container.
I'll wish you luck if you wish me luck in return!

LOL.

Thanks for the fresh batch of replies all! However 2 years later packing is not a problem.

In the end I was packing a brand new 135 in a dbag designed for a 129.

New canopies will be a breeze forevermore! I have roughly 400 jumps on the 135. now looking for a 125.
www.skydivesandiego.com

i just brought it up because i kinda had similar problems..

lay your canopy in the peas, drive your SUV 4-5 times over it, your canopy should be less slippery. Et voila :P

Or else, lots of determination and persuasion, not too much force...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM