wildcard451

Croc hunter dead...?

Seems to be. Beat me to the post by half a hair.

to many posts to read the link... gimme the short version... did a croc eat him? or was it a boring death like heart attack. saddens me, regardless. nice guy, even though alot of peeps teased him.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Seems to be. Beat me to the post by half a hair.

to many posts to read the link... gimme the short version... did a croc eat him? or was it a boring death like heart attack. saddens me, regardless. nice guy, even though alot of peeps teased him.

Stingray barb through the chest.

I swam with the stingrays in the Grand Caymans and never knew of them to "attack" ...we were instructed to have a handfull of calamari as feed and allow them to suck it from our hands and then they swam off..very docile animals..called ballerinas of the sea....(accidentally rubbed my hip under water and had calamari juice on my hand I guess and a stingray sucked a hickey on my hip..but nothing scarey) so I wonder how that happened especially since he knew more than anyone about various animal behavior and do's/don'ts...I'm sure Bindi-Sue will continue his legacy...she's a brave little girl:)
Damn...how sad...[:/]

I swam with the stingrays in the Grand Caymans and never knew of them to "attack"

Hey - I've been there - Stingray Alley. Two days later I was diving with wild rays, and they are like different animals. The ones in Stingray Alley are much more like pets, and they seemed to put up with a lot of abuse (getting stepped on, etc) that a wild one wouldn't.

When my students ask about stingrays, I tell them the same thing I tell them for all animals - look but don't touch. The sting has venom, but it's usually non-lethal (unless you're allergic to bees). For him to take a barb in the chest, I can only think of a few scenarios, and one of them would involve trying to handle the ray - bad idea. It's also possible that he was swimming very close to the sandy bottom, and a buried ray got startled - just bad luck.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I swam with the stingrays in the Grand Caymans and never knew of them to "attack"

Hey - I've been there - Stingray Alley. Two days later I was diving with wild rays, and they are like different animals. The ones in Stingray Alley are much more like pets, and they seemed to put up with a lot of abuse (getting stepped on, etc) that a wild one wouldn't.

When my students ask about stingrays, I tell them the same thing I tell them for all animals - look but don't touch. The sting has venom, but it's usually non-lethal (unless you're allergic to bees). For him to take a barb in the chest, I can only think of a few scenarios, and one of them would involve trying to handle the ray - bad idea. It's also possible that he was swimming very close to the sandy bottom, and a buried ray got startled - just bad luck.

can you tell me more about barbs? to take one in the chest, it sounds like he was stabbed w/ a sword! is this accurate? how far can they penetrate? or is it not a matter of depth of penetration but of venom/poison that would be lethal? i thought the barbs were more flexible.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

:( That's actually really sad. :(

But not at all unexpected, I'm just surprised it was a stingray, you really have to piss them off to get them to defend themselves like that, I know, I've done it a few times

CRIKEY, I wonder what happens when I poke this little bugger...Well it pokes BACK:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

can you tell me more about barbs? to take one in the chest, it sounds like he was stabbed w/ a sword! is this accurate? how far can they penetrate? or is it not a matter of depth of penetration but of venom/poison that would be lethal? i thought the barbs were more flexible.

If it is what I'm imagining ...the barb is the tail...and it is so hard/stiff and barb...like a catfish...and if used in defense would definitely hurt/kill...i touched the tail of the "tamed" ones on my trip and they were really hard and I personally wouldn't want to be attacked...but I was taught that if I was gentle with walking and didn't step on one or make them feel as if they were threatened then they wouldn't attack...so Phil...what did he do that made them feel threatened?

Hard to say - the barbs can penetrate maybe only an inch, depending on the size and species of the ray (and the thickness of your wetsuit I guess). Most stings are to people's feet when they step on the poor guys, and are non-fatal, but very painful. The barb itself it pretty rigid, but the tail is very flexible and can whip around to strike in many positions. The venom shouldn't kill you - but I could see a scenario where it punctured or paralyzed his heart muscle or an artery.

Sting to the chest? Very, very rare. Either he was swimming close the bottom and got very unlucky, or he made the mistake of trying to handle a wild ray. Given that he tends to handle dangerous animals routinely, speculation will abound.

Edit - found a pretty good drawing of a ray that shows where the barb is.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

man. just frickin crazy. hope he didn't suffer long [:/]

I hope he didn't either, but for sure his wife and two kids will. Not to mention the whole of the Australia Zoo. :|

no doubt, no noubt. [:/] i wonder what Leno will say... seems like irwin was always on there. i don't have tv, so I'll miss it, whatever it is.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Hard to say - the barbs can penetrate maybe only an inch, depending on the size and species of the ray (and the thickness of your wetsuit I guess). Most stings are to people's feet when they step on the poor guys, and are non-fatal, but very painful. The barb itself it pretty rigid, but the tail is very flexible and can whip around to strike in many positions. The venom shouldn't kill you - but I could see a scenario where it punctured or paralyzed his heart muscle or an artery.

Apparently he died from an instant heart attack.