reinhart36

When to repack main after sitting idle..

Hey there,

Is there a rule of thumb regarding repacking a main in a rig that's been sitting for a few weeks?

My main was packed by the rigger who repacked my reserve about 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping to jump this weekend, and am wondering if I should repack the main myself before jumping?

thanks!

Unless you're looking for packing practice or have some reason to suspect that the main was incorrectly packed, it should be fine. In the U. S., the repack cycle for reserves is 4 months. A main should be good for at least that long. There are many that have been packed for years and open just fine.

Kevin

Hey there,

Is there a rule of thumb regarding repacking a main in a rig that's been sitting for a few weeks?

My main was packed by the rigger who repacked my reserve about 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping to jump this weekend, and am wondering if I should repack the main myself before jumping?

thanks!

For myself, if its only been 2 or 3 weeks since I packed it, I'll jump it as is, but if its been 4 or more weeks I'll repack it.

But thats just me.
__

My mighty steed

The main must have been packed in the last 120 days by a certified rigger or the person jumping it or a person under the direct supervision of a rigger.

(The longer it is in there, the softer it will open. At least in my experience.)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

My rule of thumb is:
If any doubt at all, repack it.
Peace of mind is well worth the packing effort.

...I've never gone 3 weeks without jumping so what do I know.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Previous answers are good -- the official silly FAA rules, the peace of mind issue, and the general idea that a main that has been sitting a while doesn't need a repack.

Even for those who have a rig sitting unused over the winter, some will repack in spring, some might not. Typically one would do a repack anyway after hooking the main back up after the reserve gets packed. (& doing a line check to see that the main went back on right.)

A zero-p canopy tends to get a little stiff when it has been sitting packed a long time. Probably not an issue, but its the type of thing where if it is a snivelly canopy to begin with, some owners might choose not to make their first jump on it a hop and pop at under 2500'.

In rare cases certain canopies may be susceptible to being very stiff when packed a long time. One main canopy that I pulled out of the bag after the winter was brick-like enough that a moderate shake was not sufficient to spread it out. One had to peel cell from cell, they were so stuck together. This was on a mid 90's PISA product, a Hornet, with a zero-p fabric that I don't think is being used now. Even for that canopy, I don't know how much worse it would have made a deployment.

if i have any doubt lingering at all ill repack it, its only 10mins of my life. plus i took a main out of a bag once that had been there for 3months and it stayed in the shape of the bag... sure 120mph of wind would open it sure enough but its just peace of mind

Heck, about 10 years ago we dropped a dummy out with a canopy that had been packed for 50 years! It worked. OK, it wasn't made of ZP. It was made of silk I think, although it may have been nylon. Brains don't last as long as canopies.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I was out with an injury once for 13 weeks. Like you, I was a little concerned and asked around, and was told that as long as the rig is hanging up in a climate controlled environment I would not have any problem. I jumped it and it opened as if it were packed the day before. Three weeks is nothing.
... Marion

Hey there,

thanks!

Whatever makes you comfortable.

Without the legal requirement to pack a main parachute within 120 days of use, I'd repack mine if the D-bag had been taken out of the container. This includes loan of the rig and reserve repacks.

Test jumps have been made on parachutes which were left in their containers for years.

One had to peel cell from cell, they were so stuck together. This was on a mid 90's PISA product, a Hornet, with a zero-p fabric that I don't think is being used now. Even for that canopy, I don't know how much worse it would have made a deployment.

Gelvanor... also used on the older triathlons, hurricanes, and I am sure a few others.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

if i have any doubt lingering at all ill repack it, its only 10mins of my life. plus i took a main out of a bag once that had been there for 3months and it stayed in the shape of the bag... sure 120mph of wind would open it sure enough but its just peace of mind

If you had to, you'd use your reserve on the 120th day after it was last packed... wouldn't you? That's 4 months.

Its not "legal" but I've seen reserves dumped that had been packed for years and work just fine.

Sure, if you want to repack your main after its been packed for several weeks / months without being jumped, then there's no reason not to and no one that should stop you; it would be a good chance to inspect things and make sure alls 4.0.

However, if the main was properly packed and properly stored, then there should be no reason to fear a main pack job that's been closed up for several weeks to a 3 months, but, again, if you want to repack it, that's fine too.

:|

The main must have been packed in the last 120 days by a certified rigger or the person jumping it or a person under the direct supervision of a rigger.

(The longer it is in there, the softer it will open. At least in my experience.)

I've been on one Demo where the FED wanted to see proof that the 120day repack cycle was complied with on the MAINS... (he knew the rule, just not what to do when we pointed out that there is no documentation requirement on it...)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...