sangiro

Back from the UK and Croatia - Photos

Hey all,

I spent most of July and August working from the UK. We took a 2 week detour via Croatia before returning to South Africa just a little over a week ago. I've never been to Croatia before so I'm dropping a few photos online.

We stayed in Dubrovnik for the the bulk of our visit and used that as a base for day-trips to explore southern Dalmatia and that part of the Adriatic sea. We loved the people, smart with a good sense of humor. Add some great seafood, clear warm water and lots of sunshine and you have the recipe for a pretty good time.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful proud city. In 1991 it was under siege by forces from Serbia and Montenegro, aided by the Yugoslav army. Over a period of 9 months they lobbed more than 2,000 artillery shells into the historic city, damaging more than 68% of the old buildings and roofs. Dubrovnik has rebuilt herself (with a little help from some fiends) but the shrapnel scars remain on almost every structure to remind us of the general senseless stupidity of war.

We spent a few days on Korcula, and island further to the north and reported birthplace of Marco Polo. Fig and olive trees grow wild and the sunsets are awesome.

All and all a we had a great time. If you have a chance to go, do so. Enjoy the photos.

http://www.dropzone.com/temp/
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Fantastic! I was just looking at going to Croatia in May of 2007. :)

Croatia is beautiful. My favourite place was the island of Hvar, approx a 2hr ferry ride from Split. I can highly recommend using the ferry system to move up and down the coast. Slow, clunky, and a thoroughly wonderful way to travel.

What kind/type of camera do you use?

Most of these shots were taken with a Canon 20D. On days that I have to travel light I grab a Canon Powershot S500 Digital Elph.

You sure make some purdy pictures. Do you make postcards for a living?

Yeah, wanna buy a packet of 100? I'll give you a good price. ;)

Glad you guys liked the pics.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Nice Pictures. I spent 1 month in Split, and Hvar last year. It has been one of my favorite places to visit. It's difficult to describe the people and the natural rugged beauty of that part of the world. I was on Hvar, drinking a beer, and seriously considered not returning to the US. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

PS. I am going to develop your close up picture of the fruit stand and put it in my kitchen because it's so colorful! (hope you don't mind!)