SkydiveStMarys

Were you spanked as a child?

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for in later life." -- Emo Philips
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

nothin like that belt buckle to make you think twice about shit...

working with kids at school, and studying child development in college.. it is obvious there are a number of kids out there that need a beating.

LOL :D OMG, that's bad!!!!

I had one kid that scared the SHIT out of me.... threatened to kill me, that I should be very afraid on my walk home, etc. etc. I left the kid in his room (screaming bloody murder) and when the parents returned, I kindly informed them that their child needed serious counseling and I was NEVER coming back.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

My parents used to beat the shit out of us with anything handy. Frequently. Nowadays they could probably be arrested for it, but back then it was all part of good parenting. When I was fifteen I got into a full out brawl with my dad, fists were flying and I was getting the upper hand. Then I realized I could actually hurt him and I just stopped & let him beat the crap out of me. I knew I'd won and refused to hurt him, told him so while he was punching me out. That was the end of the physical stuff, they gave up on us after that. My brothers could've used a few more whacks, they got away with murder, I was the oldest and broke all the ground for them first. All the hitting and beating ever did for me was to convince me that my parents were unpredictable and dangerously nuts. But they've tirned into wonderful grandparents and we get along very well now and I love them both.

My wife & I almost never spanked our kids. Only if they were doing something really dangerous, like walking in the street or stuff like that, we'd give them one really good hand swat across the butt. It happened so rarely they KNEW they were in real trouble. They both turned out really well too.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Pain is and will always be one of the best training aids ever...

HOWEVER.. the lessons it teaches need to be clear.

few modern (americans at least) seem to have the wisdom or the experience to understand how to apply it correctly...

I was apanked as a kid but in every case I had it coming. It was considered normal back then.

As for spanking my own kids (when I have some) I do not think I would be able to do that. I am not passing judgement on those who do but I am sure there are other ways I can instill discipline without spanking. Perhaps I am just a wimp but thats my position.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

As a child I think I was spanked twice. Once for running into the street alone, and once because i got into the pool area alone and without supervision.

The running into the street I remember the spanking, but not what esle happened.

The pool incident I was spanked as they were removing me from the pool deck (I never got into the pool!) and then then did not let me swim for two weeks. I got to sit by the pool and watch my sister and her friends play in the water every day. Not sure the spank was necessary in this case.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

sometimes I need a good....I mean I got a good spanking. I always deserve....d it though. :P

Seriously I think the world isn't all flowers and kisses like everyone thinks children should experience it. Maybe a little paddle on the bottom when they do something wrong, begins to teach them that all actions have consequences. Sometimes they can make ur bottom sting a little. I'm not talking about beating the little buggers black and blue. A couple paddles to the bottom can't hurt anything but pride.

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Ditto...

I had similar experiences. A couple of stepfathers had some very screwed up ideas of what being a loving father or being a parent meant.
I never spanked my son and yes I think that far too many people use corporal punishment in anger.... and they are the ones who need a time out.>:(

There are multiple options to choose from. Did you get spanked to what was used to do you spank your kids. I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

Bobbi

When you initally open a thread it defaults to the original post, (not the poll options) I replied to your POST not having read the options, my bad:|

As to the 2 questions,
I dont have, nor plan to have kids, but as an educator of kids whom many of have been abused in some form or other, I see very little value in corporal punishment, and none of my stratagies employ it. (and we have great success with out it).
When i was a child, I was often hit with either my step dads hand (a steelworker) or a 3" wide 1/2" thick 2 foot long rubber strap, almost always for very little reason. At 15 my step dad held me against the wall by my throat, I kneed him in the nuts and he dropped like a stone. He never touched me again.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My mom used to beat the shit out of me.
I would Cringe anytime she recieved a new housewear item a.k.a weapon.
Anything from a Wooden Spoon, Belt, Leather Sandel, Fly Swatter, Spatula etc.

If I was in fact guilty of my crime, yes the beating straigtened me out; however I was mostly accused and punished and beaten for things i didn't do. My sister would blame her crimes on me and my mom would beat the crap out of me.

It sucked. Thats why i moved out at 16 and paved my own way through life. I'll always remember a quote my mother said to me

" It's not like I put your hand on the stove"

OH thanks mom. The Leather belt on my entire body for a full 15 mins of you letting out your own rage was alot better. Bitch.
"I'm going to marry my novels and have short stories for children."

BLuE sKiES & aPpLE PIeS oh and I'm "M" A-ZIng

nothin like that belt buckle to make you think twice about shit...

working with kids at school, and studying child development in college it is obvious there are a number of kids out there that need a beating.

**emphasis added by me.

I find it difficult to believe that you learned in your childhood development classes that there were times when a child needs a beating.
Regardless of where one stands on the spanking issue, a beating is never warranted.

If you're hitting a child in anger, you're doing it for the wrong damn reason. Period.

My mother beat the hell out of me. Used everything she could get her hands on, including pulling my hair out. Went on until I was almost 18. I was too scared to do anything.

Very, very rarely do I spank my own kids. I did have to do it when I caught my 11½ year old attempting to shoplift. [:/]
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Yup! Hands, brushes, plastic sea side spade and wooden spoons (which my sister and I used to hide whenever we did something wrong). :S

I will spank my kids (not bruise them or anything) and/or use other forms of punnishment, such as time out, grounding, no pocket money, no tv etc. Depending on what the naughty critter did :P
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

Hey P xxx

Yeah another Convent survivor, only difference I was in boarding school, which meant not only did they hit us, but if someone did something wrong and did not own up, we were made to kneel on the cold cement floors with our arms stretched out in front of us and pray for the person to own up .....

I was 5 at the time. As for my folks, my mom used to hit me with her hands and as I got older wooden spoons which also used to break ;)

My Dad hit me all of twice in his lifetime (God bless his soul):(

As for my daughter, I used to spank her on her bum, never hard ... broke my heart .... now thats she is nearly 8 my eyes speak harder then my hand.

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

I distinctly remember the day that my dad said to me, "I'm not going to spank you anymore, its just not working. If you haven't learned your lesson by now you never will. It hurts me much more then it hurts you.":| That comment actually opened my eyes up to what I was doing to myself and to him.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Got spanked, by hand, with a leather belt, yardstick, (Catholic school). Also got to spend time in the corner, got grounded, privleges taken away, lost allowance, had to apologize to the neighbors face-to-face for stupid stuff I tried to pull, etc - -

The punishment usually fit the crime. Except when I got my ass beat for setting a dog house on fire - My buddy did the deed but I got blamed for it.

Easy Does It

I got to sit by the pool and watch my sister and her friends play in the water every day.

That was probably worse than the spanking.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

*Most* of the time I see parents use corporal punishment, they're doing so out of anger, not as part of a well-reasoned plan to impart knowledge.

Agreed. By and large - that is, when you cut through the bullshit, adults don't get away with striking and overpowering children because they have superior authority, they get away with it because they have superior size and strength, and because children are dependent upon them for food and shelter. The proof of this is in when our parents stopped trying to hit us – when we were old enough (read: strong enough) to hit back and do some real damage to them. Corporal punishment teaches children that violence by the strong against the weak is acceptable so long as the strong get to define the rules of the game. "Spare the rod and spoil the child" is a rule defined by the strong to self-enable institutionalized violence against the weakest in society: children.

We have 2 teenaged kids who have been subject to diligent, sometimes strict, discipline: curfews, strict rules, household chores, stern lectures, maybe a little too much yelling, loss of privileges, grounding – but not one ounce of corporal punishment. They have never been spanked. And they've turned out to be great, ambitious young women. And – breaking a mold that's been handed down from one generation to the next – they've never been socialized to think reflexively that the way to discipline a child is by striking her.

If you fucked around when I was growing up, you got your ass tanned...period. My mother and grandmother would have me go outside and pick a "switch"; a small branch off the bush outside. They would grab me by the left shoulder and run my little ass in a circle as they smacked my butt with it. If I ever screwed up so bad that my dad had to lay a hand on me, my mom would have me sit in my room and wait for my dad to get home. He would wear my ass out with a belt. You KNEW you had royally fucked up if that happened. I am a firm believer in corporal punishment like I was administered at home (and at school!). It positively reinforces discipline and you can bet your ass that if I ever have any kids they will be brought up the same way. Kids for the past two generations have literally run all over their parents. The "meet the nanny" shows on TV present the worst examples of how bad it's gotten.

Here's a line my dad used to repeatedly tell me when I had destroyed something or otherwise really fucked up: "boy, I was man enough to bring you into this world, I am DAMN SURE man enough to take you out of it." You would have to know my dad to understand the gravity of that statement. I was brought up in a VERY respectful household and I still, to this day, say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" around my elders.

Chuck