badlock

My magnetic risercovers affect my cell phone

Hey folks,

no joke, no fake, but I do think my magnetic riser covers (MICRON) are affecting my cell phone (Motorola KRZR).

I made some photos of my nice, brand new MICRON today and recognized that the internal camera stopped with a white screen when I held the cell phone nearer than 1 inch from the riser covers.
I couldn't believe it, so I started to make some videos - the same result.

The following 3 videos are no fake!!

Note:
This isn't UPT-bashing because I couldn't be happier with my new MICRON. And also I'm 110% sure that UPT and Airtec tested more than enough to be sure, the covers wouldn't be a safety issue.
Additionally, keep in mind that I had to hold the phone really close to the cover (ca. 1 inch) to see any effect.
I think, this phenomenon with my phone is just a funny thing. I posted this because the possibility of such a phenomenon was often discussed in the past.

And now: The Videos:

http://www.eldoms.com/micron/22-03-07_1541.3gp

http://www.eldoms.com/micron/22-03-07_1542.3gp

http://www.eldoms.com/micron/22-03-07_1607.3gp

Don't be a Lutz!

Are you going to jump with a mobile phone in 1 inch proximity? ;)

Of course! Sometimes you gotta take that call, and I'm sure his ear is close to the riser coversB|
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Of course! Sometimes you gotta take that call, and I'm sure his ear is close to the riser coversB|

You're both right! :P

Like I said before: I found it funny, not scary :)

Don't be a Lutz!

What are you saying is wrong in the video? It just looks to me like it gets blurry up close. Dont you think that is just the camera out of focus?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I guess UPT is going to have to put the cel phone pocket farthere down on the rig next to the key, wallet, and electric tooth brush holders. ;););)

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

When doing a cross country or any jump for that matter where you might land off, whats wrong with carrying your cell phone?

Nothing is wrong with that. Where is the problem if you just carry on just switch on on the ground? ;)

when i do a cross country i have it switched on before i land. If i need my phone in an emoergcy I dont want it to be off. but it wont be near my risers until i use it anyways
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ah I see the problem now. If Im doing a cross country load and I land off, have a broken back or leg or something. Then I go to use the phone but I stil have my rig on and it is too close to the riser covers to work.

Im sorry Mr Booth you better scrap this whole Idea:P
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Ah I see the problem now. If Im doing a cross country load and I land off, have a broken back or leg or something. Then I go to use the phone but I stil have my rig on and it is too close to the riser covers to work.

Yep you're right - you won't be able to take video of your accident but nobody has said the phone didn't work for making calls B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Im a FNG to the sport..but i was actually thinking of this very topic a few days ago. I think im going to start carrying my cell phone with me on future jumps just in case something would happen to cause a off dz landing. It would jsut expedite the process of coming to get me...so its not really a bad idea...at least in my opinion. I guess i would have to take the rig off though if i had the same covers...no big deal though. Ill jsut pack it while waiting for them to come and get me....lol
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

That's why you should also carry a pull-up cord, a pocket knife, and a rubber band with you. My friends were too fast though, they had to wait while I stowed the lines.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Im a FNG to the sport..but i was actually thinking of this very topic a few days ago. I think im going to start carrying my cell phone with me on future jumps just in case something would happen to cause a off dz landing. It would jsut expedite the process of coming to get me...so its not really a bad idea...at least in my opinion. I guess i would have to take the rig off though if i had the same covers...no big deal though. Ill jsut pack it while waiting for them to come and get me....lol

As long as you're not taking video of landing out with your cell phone within an inch of your riser covers you should be OK.

Everybody seems to have missed that only taking as video with the phone close to the riser covers (which by the way are on your back) has been noted as a potential problem. Nobody said you couldn't make a call.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I think im going to start carrying my cell phone with me on future jumps just in case something would happen to cause a off dz landing. It would just expedite the process of coming to get me...so its not really a bad idea...at least in my opinion.

It is also nice because you can let the other people at the DZ know that your OK. I have had to look for some one who landed off on a night jump, and we all wished she had her cell phone!! :P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

That's why you should also carry a pull-up cordshoelace, a pocket knifeteeth, and a rubber bandknot it with you. My friends were too fast though, they had to wait while I stowed the lines.

:Dfrom experience.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yep you're right - you won't be able to take video of your accident but nobody has said the phone didn't work for making calls B|

Oh ya its just the camera that dosent work if you are 1" away from the risers.......well in that case I think its safe. But how will I sell the video of my broken leg to the news? ;)