badlock

My magnetic risercovers affect my cell phone

Oh ya its just the camera that dosent work if you are 1" away from the risers.......well in that case I think its safe. But how will I sell the video of my broken leg to the news? ;)

It is your broken collarbone that would be the problem. If your leg is so broken it is an inch away from your riser covers, you've got much bigger problems...

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Oh ya its just the camera that dosent work if you are 1" away from the risers.......well in that case I think its safe. But how will I sell the video of my broken leg to the news? ;)

It is your broken collarbone that would be the problem. If your leg is so broken it is an inch away from your riser covers, you've got much bigger problems...

You will have "focussing" issues for a start:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Let me start serious: Thanks Ian for the video link. Haven't seen that footage before.

Back to the lighter side: Without getting too far off the thread line, let me tell you a funny DZ story. Back when I was a student, I made a few jumps at Skydive Colorado, which was at the Loveland-Fort Collins airport, but isn't in business any longer. I was waiting in the manifest area when the phone rang. The gal running manifest answered it. the conversation went something along the lines of "Who is this?" "Where are you?" "No you can't manifest until after you've landed." turns out one of the instructors had taken his cell phone (remember this was a number of years ago, before Razors and even flip phones) with him on the jump. After he got under canopy, he called manifest trying to get on the next load. I will never forget the confused look on the manifest girl's face because she was sure the guy on the other end of the call was in the air, which he was.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

When doing a cross country or any jump for that matter where you might land off, whats wrong with carrying your cell phone?

Nothing is wrong with that. Where is the problem if you just carry on just switch on on the ground? ;)

when i do a cross country i have it switched on before i land. If i need my phone in an emoergcy I dont want it to be off. but it wont be near my risers until i use it anyways

One thing you might want to consider is how much RFI a phone puts out both when it transmits and when it receives. I would not have the phone on if you also wear a cypress or other AAD. I am a rated tournament driver for waterskiing and I can tell you that on several occasions, an incoming call has triggered the electronic timing system in the boat. I now require the other two members of the boat crew to turn off their cells if they have them. If there is enough RFI for that from an incoming call, who knows what effect there might be on an AAD?

Note: I don't know the answer, but sure wouldn't want to find out in freefall in close proximity to my buddies...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

he-he... Just tested my microwave, TV, notebook and what is most important - iron in 1 inch proximity of a magnet. Neither device is working right. However, my old style cellphone (no camera, no other shit - phone must be a phone) still working. Isn't it funny? ;)

Ohhh... I forgot about my fridge! :D