windcatcher

Why do you celebrate Halloween?

I was just curious to find out most people's reasons for celebrating Halloween, which I am assuming stems from wanting an excuse to get dressed up in a costume.

Anybody else celebrate Halloween for something other than the obvious reason?

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I am doing my "homework" on it; however, this thread was specifically directed towards individuals and asking them why they celebrate. A lot of people have different reasons for celebrating things...and I am sure some don't know exactly why they celebrate what they do. :|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I love Halloween. Scary stuff is fun. It's the Same reason people like horror movies & ghost stories.

Also, if your ancestors are from Great Britain or Ireland it is part of your ancient heritage. Except we make our Jack-olanterns from pumpkins instead of turnips, because pumpkins are bigger & a LOT easier to hollow out.

Anyone ever see Sleepy Hollow starring Johnny Depp & Christina Ricci? One of my favorite halloween-type movies. Really gets you in the mood.
B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I was just curious to find out most people's reasons for celebrating Halloween, which I am assuming stems from wanting an excuse to get dressed up in a costume.

Your assumption is tooo vague....wanting an excuse to get dressed up in a costume???

-the kids spend a month making their own costumes in the evenings together around the kitchen table and I get to spend time with them helping their fantasy ideas become real.

Our neighborhood rawks on halloween, everyone takes part focusing on children and community.
-great healthy fun, fun, fun
-apple bobbing is a riot
-the autumn leaves are beautiful- my yard is full of maple leaves that we rake into huge orange bags and shape like pumpkins for the front yard.
-pumpkin carving is a tradition in our home- we all look forward to roasting pumpkin seeds also.
-we have a field large enough to burn a huge fire, everyone welcome for a coco & pumpkin pie.
-the kids run around screaming with excitement chasing the spookers and goblins, little devils...
the best part is nobody finding out who is behind that costume and getting to scare your friends & trick or treat for your own special bag of candy (stored away for treats right thru to Christmas)

Obvious reasons?
-the joy it brings to children and adults as well
-the opportunity to see neighbors
-have fun in your own neighborhood
-the elderly vicariously reliving their own adventures as children
???????

oooohhh, we luv it
:o:D:o:D:o:D

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

***-the kids spend a month making their own costumes in the evenings together around the kitchen table and I get to spend time with them helping their fantasy ideas become real.

Our neighborhood rawks on halloween, everyone takes part focusing on children and community.
-great healthy fun, fun, fun
-apple bobbing is a riot
-the autumn leaves are beautiful- my yard is full of maple leaves that we rake into huge orange bags and shape like pumpkins for the front yard.
-pumpkin carving is a tradition in our home- we all look forward to roasting pumpkin seeds also.
-we have a field large enough to burn a huge fire, everyone welcome for a coco & pumpkin pie.
-the kids run around screaming with excitement chasing the spookers and goblins, little devils...
the best part is nobody finding out who is behind that costume and getting to scare your friends & trick or treat for your own special bag of candy (stored away for treats right thru to Christmas)
Obvious reasons?
-the joy it brings to children and adults as well
-the opportunity to see neighbors
-have fun in your own neighborhood
-the elderly vicariously reliving their own adventures as children
???????

oooohhh, we luv it
:o:D:o:D:o:D

SMiles;)

WOW I thought Stepford was a ficticios town in the USA:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't celebrate Halloween purely because i live in South Africa and it's an American tradition. What really irks me is retailers here in South Africa jumping on the band wagon and having Halloween specials and stuff so that they can make an extra buck :D

In the words of the Chili peppers:

"Destruction leads to a very rough road
But it also breeds creation
And earthquakes are to a girl's guitar
They're just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Because Jesus has two holidays and the devil only has one, I do my part to try to balance the scales.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

well the comercialization is an american thing but the Samhain origins are pagan and were in place long before it was even was a North America or even christianity in europ.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

An excuse to get drunk, go out to bars and look at chicks dressed in next to nothing, see lots of cool costumes, and hang out with friends.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative