FlyingJ

College degree - do you do what you went to school for?

[replyWell, the reason I went to college was that I knew that it opened doors that would otherwise be a lot more difficult, if not impossible, to get through. So, I guess it could be said that I've gotten what I went to school for, several times over.

This is pretty much my story. I knew halfway through school that music wasn't for me, but having been at a conservatory I would have to start completely over academically if I transfered out to an academic program. I stuck with it and took other classes related to management that I could, but decided that the diploma was all I was really looking for.

It has opened the doors into two different careers so far, though oddly enough now that I'm moving into what I think I really want to do for a while the degree didn't really play any role. Go figure.
Killing threads since 2004.

- do you do what you went to school for?

You mean like chug beer, smoke dope and chase women?

Then No...;)

I do have a Business Degree, and I kind of put myself THROUGH college with Skydiving...

That's what I'm still doing, do I guess in a way....YES!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You mean like chug beer, smoke dope and chase women?

Boy did I ever go to the wrong school! [:/]

Right right, cause none of that goes on in uni :S

Strictly academics ;)

Edited to add: And we don't learn the metric system or exactly how inhibitors of the reuptake of dopamine work either . . . :)

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

how inhibitors of the reuptake of dopamine work either . . . :)

all i know is if he take one pill and you feel good and you take another pill and you feel good, when you take both of them together you don't feel twice as good........

you feel much much better than that!!!!
This ad space for sale.

Yeah...i got my BS in Sports Facilities Management
( yes thats a real degree) from U of Ga.
I worked at UNLV for 18 years managing their stadiums and sports facilities. I retired last Oct.
Life is good.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Communications (Social Science) - everyday, with whomever I'm communicating with. And, while technically - yes, howver, I had intended to finish up my doctorate in Organizational Behavior - chose not to after 2 years of teaching at the college level.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Two degrees in theology/ministry (BA & MA) and I am a pastor. I'm getting another masters in counseling and hope to move to that full time.

However, although I did take a lot of courses (over 70 hours worth) from basics to medical stuff when I was young, I did not receive my first degree until I was in my forties. :S:)

steveOrino

I went to school for Statistics/Actuarial (what's an actuary?) Science. I work as a pretend Actuary. I'm pretending to study for my exam, and I'm pretending to be sane while screaming at textbooks for giving me the wrong answer (twice today, they really have given me the wrong answer...typo-induced insanity.)

I use what I learned in school frequently at my job. When I don't my bosses get mad at me and give me a big "no no." However, I also picked a degree/career where I knew that this would be the case. Though, I'm still trying to find the actuary by day and crimefighter by night.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Well I'm still in school as a Sociology major and I doubt very highly I will use the degree in whatever I decide to do.

Don't be so sure... The Study of Social Sciences
provides one with a fine background towards better understanding of much of what goes on in our lives.
I majored in Anthropology while in college (minored in SKYDIVING)B|. and completed a B of Sci. degree a bit over 30 years ago...B|;) ( also had 360 jumps, when I graduated college !!!)
Although I haven't the patience for archeology
nor the abilty to travel the world and fully study Cultural Anthro....
The subject HAS been a great background and foundation for everyday interactions with business and social contacts..
Anthro.. is "the study of man" certainly a wide and varied topic,, but grasping THAT concept alone is a good tool to have as I carry on in my life....:)
Oh my work now, and for the past 23 years is the sale installation and service of Accessibility equip. like stair lifts, wheelchair lifts, and Bath lifts...I also design and build lumber and alum. access ramps.... BUT i deal with people every day, and have a healthy attitude about those I meet,, thanks in a large part. to my "useless" college education....;)
class of '75........ jmy

The thread about what instruments you play made me wonder...If you went to college, do you currently work in the field that you went to school for?

For me, not even close. Degree in music performance from a music conservatory - went from college into the arts management field, just finished two years volunteering with AmeriCorps and moving into full time job as a wildland firefighter.

Classical Guitar major myself. Not much call for it in the real world. Went into violin making and own/ran a music shop for 27 years. Did a little landscaping in the off season. Landscape full time now.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Yep. AAS in environmental restoration, BS in environmental quality, working in environmental remediation, including bits & pieces of analytical chemisty, field geology, sampling various environmental media, and writing a wide variety of documents related to these topics and others.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)