McBeth

Do people at your work know you skydive?

Yeah, they all know. I dont talk about it much because of the never ending stream of whuffo questions that ensue. But they do at least act interested which is cool.

Ive introduced two of them to skydiving and both have completed AFF. 1 is now well on his way to getting his A licence.

Yep, at least most of those who I interact with enough for them to care when I'm on vacation or whatever. A couple of the guys like to live vicariously through me and are at my office every Monday to ask about my weekend. Others send me students.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I am very selective in who I tell. Too many questions being asked during times I'd rather not have to answer them. The 3 people that knew bombarded me with questions at the Quantum Leap Otter crash, the Aerohio tandem incident and the Elvis incident. Its just not worth it since telling them isn't much more then an ego stroke in the first place.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

They do, but sometimes I wish they didn't. I hear that "perfectly good airplane" at least once a week.

One of my co-workers is going to do an AFF jump this weekend. He refuses to do a tandem unless it's with a woman. :D We'll see how mixing my work and personal life goes...:S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I tell people at work that I skydive too, but I encountered a skydiver in my travels for work recently and found it interesting that he didn't want anyone to know.

If you're in a white collar professional setting, where perception counts for alot, it's never a good idea to let people know you jump. Nothing good every comes out of it.
We are all engines of karma

yep and most don't seem to have a problem with it... occasionally I've run across one or two that seem to take issue with the fact that I skydive... (fortunately I'm good at ignoring people like that. :D)

come to think of it... I sort of kind of had to fill out a form in my current assignment saying that I knew I was participating in a "High Risk Activity" and would take the appropiate measures to be as safe as possible...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

yep, mainly because i dont have any interest in talking to them so when they corner me during my quiet fag break i talk about jumping (like being on autopilot), mindless talk, it helps to deter the conversation away from shitstenders (actually called eastenders, a crap programme in the uk). talking about jumping is such a wicked backup for so many different situations.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

In my case I was working here when I started skydiving, and it seemed natural to tell people at first so now they all know. It might be different it I was starting somewhere new, I'm sure I wouldn't sing it from the rooftops, but I probably wouldn't make a big deal about keeping it a secret.

If you're in a white collar professional setting, where perception counts for alot, it's never a good idea to let people know you jump. Nothing good every comes out of it.

Why do you say that?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Yup they know. I hate the whuffo questions, but I feel that I at least help them understand more what goes on. I have not convinced any to go as of yet. I stopped asking actually.

I think they found out when someone asked what are you doing this weekend. Me tending to not be able to lie I had to say, going skydiving.

They like the pictures and video I show them though. I've shown them that we don't just fall.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

when they corner me during my quiet fag break

Is that like a nooner with a guy who's not a screamer? :|

Blues,Dave

if Caspar is any good he would have to at least moan a little

back to the thread - uh - yes, unless the photos on the wall are covered up, 9-way diamond launch from the tailgate craft is my favorite
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Why do you say that?

The way I see it, is when I'm at work I'm a professional. They simply don't need to know what I do in my free time, whether it's skydiving, collecting stamps, or being an alcoholic.

Now if we get out of a work setting and it's personable, whatever ... it doesn't really matter....
This ad space for sale.

Some do, some don't. It usually takes me a while to bring it up, then if it does come up, it'll be in the context of discussing weekend plans.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah everybody at work knows. Once one person finds out it goes around pretty quickly. The president asked me last week if the plan was to just keep jumping till I die.:S

I said yes.

And then tell him, you already KNOW how you're gonna die....shot by a jealous husband...when you are 86!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~