ltdiver

A hero's gear stolen!

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else (did a forum search and didn't see anything).

I can't believe some snot would do such a thing as steal someone's gear while he risked his life to save someone elses. >:(

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/9975446/detail.html

TheHawaiiChannel.com

Instructor Saves Skydiver While His Gear Is Stolen

Man Saves A Life, Loses Parachute

POSTED: 5:22 am HST October 1, 2006
UPDATED: 5:39 am HST October 1, 2006
MOKULEIA POLO, Hawaii -- A skydiving accident ended with no injuries for one lucky skydiver on Saturday.
The Maui skydiver was making his first jump alone and with his new equipment. The man’s parachute opened ok, but his reserve chute also opened, sending the man into a potentially deadly spiral.
"The reserve did not inflate entirely. It didn't open to a point where he could control it, so it continued to spin until he hit water, thank God,” said Tim Straus, a skydiving instructor at Pacific International.
Straus swam out and rescued the man from the water near Mokuleia Polo field. But while he was saving the downed skydiver, someone stole his equipment.
Straus said, however, that he didn’t regret his decision.
"If I had to trade my gear for this guy being okay, it's not even a contest. I'm just happy he's okay. If it cost me $6,000 in gear, whatever. I wish it didn't happen, but I’m just glad he's okay," said Straus.
Straus said his stolen parachute is gold with two red stripes, in case anyone saw it.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Now this to me is a worthy cause I'd be willing to donate a few dollars to help him replace his gear.

That is a -very- good idea. I've search on dz.com to see if Tim is a member here (to PM him), but wasn't successful. If anyone has his contact info please let him know I'd be willing to donate some funds to help him replace his gear as well....he just needs to let me know his contact info.

ltdiver

Now this to me is a worthy cause I'd be willing to donate a few dollars to help him replace his gear.

Same, I'd at least let him have the price of a jump ticket. He's the kind of guy that you want around at your dz.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Hopefully the thiefs remains will wash up someday nearby

There might yet be a good hard working and honest person that blossoms out of thief.

People change.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

After reading the additional details about the incident, I'd like to know more about the incident itself - what caused a two-out with a deployment that high? Sounds like the student was very lucky to avoid injury (and I was glad to read that he got back in the air).

Sucks for the instructor, though ... hopefully someone will catch a clue after all the publicity and it'll turn up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There might yet be a good hard working and honest person that blossoms out of thief.

And the Pope may start promoting the use of condoms

People change

Regrettably, people like that thief usually don't.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

It could be him, his hair looks a little darker though. [:/]

All I will say though, is that if it is, that perp is in big trouble. ;)

WOW! I know Tim from Eloy too. And you're right, if it's the Tim Straus of "nice shoes ..." the perp will be in trouble!

;)

Hard to tell from that picture, though.

Mean people suck. :(

'Shell
'Shell

Sucks for the instructor, though ... hopefully someone will catch a clue after all the publicity and it'll turn up.

This got me thinking - what's a thief gonna do with that gear? Only two things I can think of worth more than $100: jump it or sell it.

One thing that will make those 2 things much harder is a concerted effort to pass along the story and pictures of the gear - keep your eyes open on EBay, Craigslist, etc., dropzones, gear shops and area pawn shops.

It CAN be found.

Get some pictures posted here, for starters. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

If there is a donation organised i have $200 toward his new gear... unless he is sponsored!

We first need his contact info (and need). Anyone know how to get ahold of Tim?

ltdiver

It could be him, his hair looks a little darker though. [:/]

All I will say though, is that if it is, that perp is in big trouble. ;)

Okay, went to Pacific Skydiving (thanks to the dropzone listings here in dz.com) and clicked on 'staff'. Is this the Tim you know?

http://www.pacific-skydiving.com/staff.htm

ltdiver