iluvtofly

How long have you been skydiving?

Ok, in 2002 I did 4 jumps. 1 tandem and 3 AFF. During the four years that I was in college I didn't have the money to jump. But, now that I am out of school I started seriously jumping again this summer. So would I say that I've been skydiving for 1 year or 4?

And just out of curiosity...who has been jumping the longest? With a break and without a break. A break being a year or two (off season and injuries don't count as a break).

I started in 1972...after two water landings under Paracommander type Parasail when attending the USAF Water Survival School in FLorida. They towed you up to about 700 ft and you released the tow line..and you were under canopy so my first two landings under canopy were water landings.. one of the Instructors took me out to the local DZ and I did my FJC. When I went back to my permanant station there was no place close so I had to wait 2 years till I was stationed someplace else where I could take the FJC again in 1974.
I jumped fairly regularly for about 8 years after that.... and then moved to someplace that did not have a decent place to jump.( I was just not feeling the vibe there.. one of them was Ted Mayfields Sheridan DZ in Oregon) I also felt I was being more responsible to get my airtime under paragliders and hang gliders for others sake for the next 18 years or so.
I did my third FJC in March of 2003.. (second childhood..responsibilities now gone:P).

Since then I have averaged about 250 jumps a year.B|B|:ph34r:

October 25th, 2003 was my first tandem (followed by two more between then and December), and December 3rd, 2003 was my first AFF jump. :)
I am currently on a break, but I plan to get back in the air sometime this year. I was going to do it this past weekend, but the weather sucked on Saturday, and Sunday I was "busy." :|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

a long time.
Although that first jump is still VIVID in my mind.....as are MANY many skydives...

started just after I turned 19.... Sept. '72
first jump ( Static Line), first airplane ride,, same day.;)
i'm up to 35 years in the sport.....
so it's more than 60 percent of ALL the time i've been alive...:o
never went more than a few months without making a jump.( usually wintertime)
slowed down when the kids were little, but always stayed current... no layoffs...

have met and jumped with thousands of interesting people, many have come and gone,,,
looking forward to meeting more people and making new friends...
It's been a good thing to have been with the sport, since the days of paraboots, Bell motorcycle helmets, 4 pin containers, cheapo mains, and 24' flat reserves... I got to see, hear, watch and take part in, many many changes, from gear to aircraft to curriculum to technique...
I learned it's better to work with my eyes and my ears and less with my mouth...
( old skydivers/ bold skydivers)
I'm happy to be along for the ride.:)
jmy
A 3914
D 12122
scr scs nscr.

The guy who taught my static line FJC in 1995 did his own first jump in 1962. If I remember correctly, Lew Sanborn started in the early to mid 50's, and I can't imagine there are many living who started earlier (though for some reason I'm thinking some French guy has him beat).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My first jump was 12-12-1984, at least that is the first one I can remember. I was born into the sport and my mother made about 25 jumps with me before I was born.
Thus explaining why i went into the fetal position my first 5 static line jumps.:S:)

See, not THAT is funny stuff right there! :D

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?