ArnoSchutte

Anyone ever snapped 18 out 20 lines ?

Jumped my canopy this weekend and snapped 18 out of 20 lines. Only lines remaining is C2 and right brake line. This was on a sub terminal +/- 6 sec deployment out of a Porter.

The funny thing for me is that all the lines snapped on the same length ( about a foot above my risers )

I had a bag lock and tucked on the risers to try and clear it. Which I will STRONGLY not recommend doing in the future if anyone would like to know. I think doing this created line dump ( riser slack as I pulled down ) and a quite hard opening :)
If anyone can give me some advice on why the lines would snap on the same length it would be appreciated. There was no twists in the lines as I was looking at the bag and it was one of the last stows that were not releasing (meaning one of the grommet closing stows).

Thanks
Regards

Arnie

Generally lines fail just above the fingertrap, so tto have them fail at the same place isn't a big surprise, assuming that is where yours failed. Still, that is a LOT of broken lines. "quite a hard opening" sounds like an understatement. How many jumps on that line set?

But wait, in the photos it looks like much more than a foot above the risers. If they didn't break just beyone the fingertrap, then you should look for some other problem than just exceeding the line strength, such as they were hung up somewhere.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

19 inches above risers. 17 jumps on this line set with about +/- 8 teminal openings. We checked the container (Mirage G4) and there is no sign of any hang up. I had both risers in my hand with the bag locked and everything was clear. The opening was not so hard due to the fact that I think most of the energy went into the breaking of the lines. I basically only felt a hard tuck not even enough to pull me into a stand up position. The reserve opening was much worst (terminal) [:/].
Regards

Arnie

Did you inspect your lineset after it came back from the reline? The set could possibly have been damaged during transit/at the factory...

I lost a brake line at 1200 feet because my lines were not tacked after my factory reline (not PD... my old old canopy)... made me look closer at all 'new to me' gear, even if it was from the factory.

Glad everything worked out for you bro but in a morbid intrest sort of way I wish you had video... that would have looked pretty wild I expect :S

How did you find your risers??
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Did you inspect your lineset after it came back from the reline? The set could possibly have been damaged during transit/at the factory...

That'd be my guess as well, just too wierd for all the lines to break in the same spot not near a fingertrap/bartack/etc.

FWIW. When I had my baglock that I recovered in a manner similar to you (baglock stood me up, I reached up, grabbed the risers and jerked them down), I didn't have a hard opening (and that was on an original sabre!). From my findings of two adjacent broken rubber band stows on the bag, I concluded that the stowed lines had wrapped around the stow above it and locked the lines together... then when i yanked down it broke both of those rubber bands.

Line twists out the wazoo though.

I though I had video but the opening shock turned it off. :(

How did i find my risers ? D bag, risers and lines are out... So my hands are on my risers at line stretch. On a Velocity after inflation you want to be pretty quick on risers for avoidance/heading control.

All of this was at 10000ft so plenty of time to play.
Regards

Arnie

Looks just like a tension knot to me . The way the lines are cut straight across and not torn like it would be with too much weight or load on them . The technora line is very easy to get a tension knot with . Why do you think it is taking PD so long to come out with their HMA thin line set to the public . They don't want to deal with this kind of headache . Joe

Nah, I mean after your chop...

Finding a single riser w/ only shreds of lines has to be difficult after the fact... especially from 10k

Did you suck your reserve pull down?

My only cutaway was at about 6k but I had that sucker pulled as soon as I got stable...

You know what tho? I had a bag hesitation on my Mirage G4 after a subterminal delay... I did the exact same thing and ripped my canopy out of the bag by yanking on my risers. After the fact I think I probably should have chopped it as the lines were just flopping around all over the place (which is why the tension not theory makes sense to me).

At least you've got another story to tell and probably some :D to buy!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Hehe, sorry bru.

No, I lost the left riser ( only thing I could not retrieve). The riser you see in the picture is the one with one line on that was still attached to the canopy. After cut away I pulled the left riser off as it did not release to clear everything. But I chucked it to pull my left handle.:$
Regards

Arnie

Is there anyone that wants you dead that knows something about parachutes and had access to your rig when you weren't around? :|

thats sad to think about, but this has happend.. have you cheked your reserve to make sure it's fine?
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Is there anyone that wants you dead that knows something about parachutes and had access to your rig when you weren't around? :|

thats sad to think about, but this has happend.. have you cheked your reserve to make sure it's fine?
Joe

Well, I sure hope that one was chopped, and seeing as how we're getting this message, I'm sure the reserve worked ok.

:P:P

If anyone can give me some advice on why the lines would snap on the same length it would be appreciated.

The last time I saw something like that was at a PIA symposium.
Packin Cathy brought a canopy that had many lines break at the same place on an opening that was not too particularly hard.
Bill Coe looked at it and said the slider friction burned the lines.

Check the broken ends and see if some of the threads are melted. Some threads may be melted and others broken because they had to support more load.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Joe,
You had it right from the start.

The lines were cut by a tension knot caused by probable improper stowing of the lines.

Things to note:

*Not a hard opening

*No fabric damage

*All lines were severed at the exact same location

*Not a normal Deployment

This is the bad side of very small Technora lines.
They tangle easily and will cut through one another very,very easily.

Rules of the game here are:
*Slinks should be tacked down

* Riser to bag line length should be kept around 12 inches or less.

*Lines stows should be less than two inches AND neatly stowed

*When rotating the bag into the container, be very careful of the line stows. watching so that they do not "pickup" a/the riser to bag line/s

The last one is the probable cause of this incident!

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

could it be a lineover/line around the other lines and would have cut by friction ?

Exactly.

The Baglock is key here.

A line stow had lose a loose line or lines(riser to bag length of lines) around it.
When it did come out of the bag, it cut through the others!

Cheers,
MEL

glad your ok after that expirience.in my 15 years in the sport i have never seen anything like what you had.i have had a few lines brake on me in that time and inspected a lot of gear with line damage.but your incident takes the biscuit.
i dont believe that a tension knot or a loose grommet somewhere can cause all this damage.if it was on the slider that means all of your grommets must be defective.and if one side of the slider did hang up,the lines would not have broken all in the smae place.
its unclear from the pics,but they dont look like HMA
or even spectra line to me.i would seriously look at what sort of material the lines are made out of.and i would also send those pics to PD,or even send the canopy there for inspection.
its very hard to say,but i dont believe that this kind of damage can happen on a normal or unusual opening,and you said you werent even terminal.
since they all went in the same place that makes it very suspect to me!!!!!!
did maybe any substance or liquid get spilled on the lines???
another explanation would be that a bad needle was used when bartacking the lines.but that should have been spotted when you or someone packed the main.also from the pics,there should be no bartack in that area.they are normally at the very end of the line or at the cascades.and not 19" above the riser(although it does look more that 19" to me)
i would advise to get this further investigated as this is not right and should never have happend to this extend.
in my opinion there is 3 possible scenarios.
1.the lines are made from incorrect material.
2.someone interferred with the lines.
3.something very corrosive got spilled onto the lines.
but that is my opinion,but i could never explain that kind of damage to an opening.
rodger

i dont believe that a tension knot or a loose grommet somewhere can cause all this damage.

I guess we need to educate people a little in this subject area! I thought I just did in my previous post, but I guess it did not take!

i would advise to get this further investigated as this is not right and should never have happend to this extend.

I have investigated it far enough.
It has happened on 4 occasions, this being the forth case.
It all cases tension knots were the culprit.

Cheers,
MEL

Jumped my canopy this weekend and snapped 18 out of 20 lines. Only lines remaining is C2 and right brake line. This was on a sub terminal +/- 6 sec deployment out of a Porter.

The funny thing for me is that all the lines snapped on the same length ( about a foot above my risers )

I had a bag lock and tucked on the risers to try and clear it. Which I will STRONGLY not recommend doing in the future if anyone would like to know. I think doing this created line dump ( riser slack as I pulled down ) and a quite hard opening :)
If anyone can give me some advice on why the lines would snap on the same length it would be appreciated. There was no twists in the lines as I was looking at the bag and it was one of the last stows that were not releasing (meaning one of the grommet closing stows).

Thanks

Glad this was (maybe?) on a CReW jump with lots of time to play and not a BASE....
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...