BretM05

Digital (Visual) Altimeter Questions

I also prefer the digital display, but keep in mind that they are not as reliable as an analog.

This claim needs to die. Talk to tdog about an analog failure.

At my DZ there are much more analog altimeters than digital, yet I've not heard of a single analog altimeter that all of a sudden became incorrect. People have hit them against things, broken the glass and whatnot and the few cases there they were broken, they were not the least surprised that it didn't work. I've seen a few people that were surprised that their altimeters still worked after the abuse... On the other hand, almost all of the Neptune owners have had incorrect readings from their Neptunes (and no, it has not been old software or old batteries), showing everything from -100 to +100 meters after landing.

I think that says something about the reliability of things.

On the other hand, I think people have different expectations. An analog altimeter is often allowed to show +-50m (before tapping the glass to move the needle). I don't think people accept that from their digital altimeter.

I would personally rather have my digital alti die completly and go blank, than have my analog get stuck at 6000.

I'd rather have the analog stuck at 6000 than a digital spewing random bad data at me. As I've said before, I've seen very exciting malfunctions with dive computers. The prime altimeter (the owner) must be ready to take over.

That said, the only bad result I got out of a Neptune (landing at -300ft) was user error. I had set it for the LZ offset for Hollister and then went to another DZ. If you believe in KISS as a operating principle, you can't ignore the higher potential for screwups with the batteries and the operating settings. You can't write them off as operator error, unrelated to the device.

I still wouldnt recommend digitals to new jumpers.

There are too many bugs with them. I own a Neptune, and actually was a tech rep for them. All to often, the answer to the issue is "upgrade the SW". Time and time again. Even with the newest version, I have isses with it showing a 3/4 dead battery after 2 jumps on new batteries. And it has locked up on me completely on the run to altitude, needing the battery removed to work again.

Viso's are complicated little things to work. My wife has one, and I cant be bothered to read the archaic user interface manual. Plus, its easy to get it in Speed mode as opppsoed to Alt mode.

Analogs: they just plain work. We both have Alti IIs that are 15 years old and have never had any issues with them, even after being droped many a time.

I like the gizmos, but they have limitations.
Remster

It is much easier and way more accurate to get readings under canopy from a digital altimeter. If you are or ever will be interested in swooping, accuracy, or canopy flight in general then get a digital. I have three Neptunes that work great and a broken Pro Dytter. When my Neptune lost a button before I was using the armor, I sent it in and got it fixed free and they sent me a free armor. When my Dytter lost a button they wanted at least $30 to fix it. I still have it and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing or if I should just get another Neptune or a Titan if they ever come out.

I've not heard of a single analog altimeter that all of a sudden became incorrect.

I've had an analog alti-2 saying I was at 4k when it was <1000ft, then work again when landed. Yeah right. This was just after jumping a demo ParasportItalia digi alti that was giving me +600ft in the plane so wasn't surprised that it was giving me totally wrong numbers in freefall too :S
2 broken alti's in one day, it's not the alti's it must be me :D:D:D

The only problems I've had with my own neptune were battery related (I keep jumping low batteries untill neptune gives me it's serial number in freefall or quits altogether) so totally my own fault.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hi Bret,

I looked for a Digital Altimeter for over a year before buying a Neptune. They are a solid, reliable piece of equipement. Alti-2 is always refining the firmware, which by the way is totally free to upgrade. Mine has run flawlessly for a year. Give it a good look!

Doug
Douglas Henault

Vancouver, BC
604 620 3338

Hi Bret,

I looked for a Digital Altimeter for over a year before buying a Neptune. They are a solid, reliable piece of equipement. Alti-2 is always refining the firmware, which by the way is totally free to upgrade. Mine has run flawlessly for a year. Give it a good look!

Doug

I agree with Doug - I've had my Neptune since spring 2004 and I am very happy with it and I used it for 3 seasons.

It was an easy purchase decision for me. At the time the closest competing product from L&B only had 2 buttons and I needed the manual to figure out how to run it. The Neptune's interface is easy!

My rigger/dealer actually handed me both units, without manuals, and told me to play with them.
The decision, based on ease of use and Alti-2's reputation, was easy. B|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

AAAck!!! I'm as up in the air as ever. Everyone's got differing opinions on all of the issues.

I have a problem seeing my analog alti--I need bigger digits to look at. But on my first jump on a digital it went blank under canopy. I've been told cold weather will affect it. I've been told it was a dead battery.

In just 25 skydives, I've had both types of altis give me erroneous readings.

Yes, I know I'm supposed to rely on my eyes. But while in the process of acquiring that skill set, I'd like to have a learning aid. I can easily read the Neptune, and prefer the display, but damn, my FIRST jump it didn't work!!

I'm thinking I'll just have to start jumping with both. The way my luck's gone, maybe it's better.:S

I use a digitude and have had nothing but success with it. It's a simple, and time-proven, design.

I second that!

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I don't think i'd be too quick at converting a digital number into a meaningful height. With an analog one, when the needle hits the colourful sectors, i need to do something. No thinking required. You can see the needle moving and you've got a graphical and foolproof indication of time remaining.

I've had the needle fall off as i exited (probably before, but i didn't check). The inbuilt ohshittometer picked up on that at 5/6k when the needle was at at '2' - the ground looked too small for 2k and too big for 14k! I did the next jump with it like that - there wasn't time pack and fix it. :P

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I've heard the colored-section-argument before. However, as far as I know the colored sections on an analog altimeter are fixed and cannot be changed (easily). Crucial altitudes (seperation, opening, harddeck) however, can change from jump to jump.

I don't mean to completely dismiss the usefulness of colored sections on an analog altimeter, but I would like to point out that it has its limitations imho.

Concerning the conversion of a digital readout into meaningful knowledge, I think that this is simply something personal. Some people may have difficulty with it, others may not. Personally, I find my Digitude readout much easier to interpret than any analog face altimeter, but that's just me.

To conclude, I think it's a matter of personal preference more than anything else.

Just my 2 eurocents,

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I've heard the colored-section-argument before. However, as far as I know the colored sections on an analog altimeter are fixed and cannot be changed (easily). Crucial altitudes (seperation, opening, harddeck) however, can change from jump to jump.

The color zones still can help you identify where the needle is pointing by seeing the radial delta between the needle and the color.

With the exception of one of the euro models with the colors higher up, the bands are a bit too low to be directly useful to me. I'm throwing between 3 and 3.5. Could be useful in a malfunction, but I've not had one as yet.

To conclude, I think it's a matter of personal preference more than anything else.

largely the case, yes. That and what you're accustomed to.

I have an alti-2 that I can change to zero before boarding the plane (like all the altis). What this tells me is that anything that allows human corrective action will be screwed up at one time or another. I've also had to tap it to get the needle to move.

I also have an Optima and a Viso. After getting used to navigating them, I love them both. I frequently watch the numbers flying to altitude and they are amazingly close to being in sync.

The only "issue" I've had is when I took a look at my Viso and it read "148" after pulling out of a delta. I had set it to speed instead of altitude before boarding the plane. About half a second of sphincter contractions quickly followed :o

How long until someone comes up with a Digi that changes colour(background colour) when down low? It is viable?

there are two variations already out there from L&B - one is a blinking led on your visor, the other some sort of darkening lcd patch. If they sell well, expect more from the others.

...I have a problem seeing my analog alti--I need bigger digits to look at...

Take a look at FT-50s.

My FT-50 - I had it 2.5 years with never a problem until I dropped it onto concrete. Got a refurbished replacement.

Digital note:
My Neptune - I've had it for almost 3 years now and have never had a problem with it at all. I've looked for all the issues that some people on here are bringing up and have never seen them with mine. I wear it in my helmet and it doesn't get a lot of abuse as opposed to wearing it on your wrist. I emailed customer service (damned if I can remember the lady's name) about operational questions one time and she was prompt, knowledgable and very personable. If my Neptune ever dies, I'll be buying another one.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239