Slappie

DLP or Plasma

Basically I need some ideas. I've read a bit about both technologies. I've not got enough room for a projector so that's out.

DLP or Plasma and why.

I'm looking for a 40"+ TV HD Compatable or intigrated. 1080p HDMI etc..

So give me some help. B|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

From what I have observed in stores and in my son's homes (oldest has Panasonic plasma, youngest Samsung DLP) I've dropped DLP off my list of possibilities.

DLP is WAY too viewing angle dependent, both horizontally and vertically.

I still am considering both plasma and LCD. Higher quality LCDs (with contrast ratios in excess of 3000:1) are becoming more available and when I get set to buy I'll go with the best available then at the price I want to pay.

The 1080p LCDs I've viewed do fine with fast motion, btw, but at $3000 a pop they'd better!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

From what I have observed in stores and in my son's homes (oldest has Panasonic plasma, youngest Samsung DLP) I've dropped DLP off my list of possibilities.

DLP is WAY too viewing angle dependent, both horizontally and vertically.

I still am considering both plasma and LCD. Higher quality LCDs (with contrast ratios in excess of 3000:1) are becoming more available and when I get set to buy I'll go with the best available then at the price I want to pay.

The 1080p LCDs I've viewed do fine with fast motion, btw, but at $3000 a pop they'd better!

Thank you very much. I forgot to add in LCD... But that's also an option for me. $3000 is a bit over my budget [:/]

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'd say plasma. Burn in isn't near as much of a problem as it once was, and life isn't much of a concern anymore either. And the prices are falling. I picked up a 50" for ~ $1600. In a year you'll be able to get a 60" for that much :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Personally...plasma has the best picture.
DLP very close second
I don't want an LCD due to viewing angle issues.

burn-in and life of gear is not an issue with plasma as first thought...software fix for burn-in, life time is around 20 years in home use.

I researched for a while, and decided to go with a flat LCD as well, instead of Plasma.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5023901-3.html

Also, people told me that around superbowl time, stores offer discounts on TV's, but I don't recall seeing any price difference when I bought mine last year.

J
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Just bought a Pioneer PDP-5070 50" plasma after months of research. Boiled down to best performance for the money. (Same model at Best Buy is the PDP-5071)

Depending on how much you have the display on, DLP will cost you an additional $200-300 for bulbs every 2-3 years. Plus continue to dim well before they die. Samsung has a LED solid-state lamp model out in a rear-pro DLP, but I didn't like it much. The LED light source eliminates the lamp life issue and color wheel rainbow effects. The Samsung picture uniformity and hot-spots were quite noticable, but the color was really nice.
Unless you have your sweet spot chair directly in-line with screen center, you'll likely be unhappy with the off-center picture. That has more to do wiith the actual rear-projection screen than the DLP technology itself. It will be interesting to see who else comes out with the LED lamp DLP. If JVC had one using their D-ILA light engine or Sony's LCoS, that would have made me rethink things. If you go DLP Rear-Pro, make sure the model has an auto-iris to control brightness. They can be overly bright in a dim room.

Burn-in with Plasma is not much of an issue now, though I was extra careful to use break-in video brightness settings, and ran a break-in DVD for the first 200 hours of use, until the phosphors were broken in.

You'll pay a high-premium for 1080p, but unless you're closer than 8-10 feet from a 50", you wouldn't notice much of a difference.

I went with the Pioneer 5070 because it has some of the better electronics and scaling/stretching processing, which is important for watching standard def TV (whether analog or digital). Also the Pioneer has some nice features like individual memory settings for video on each input. My next favorite model was the Panasonic TH-50PX60U. It was a little cheaper than the Pioneer, but didn't think Standard Def picture or 4:3 stretching ooked as good as the Pioneer. Plus the Pany doesn't have individual video settings per input. That and the silver plastic stand looked nasty. The Pioneer is all black, which I like much better than the silver case brands.

I decided on Plasma vs. LCD because of cost (for a 50") and I have a fairly wide seating area, and the LCD can be dimmer when off-axis.

LCD 1080p. The life span of LCD is about twice that of plasma, and the video quality is practically negligible.

This advice isn't directly my own. I asked a few guys at my company (I'm in the Consumer Industries department of a consulting firm) who have actually worked alongside the largest electronics manufacturers in the world researching all the various factors of these technologies.

Part of this will depend on where you plan to ahve the TV. If it is in a bright room, LCD is considered the better option due to very little if any reflection in the screen.

If you are set on 1080p and over 40" than plasma is almost unaffordable.

I just picked up a Sharp 42" LCD, which does have true 1080p and two HDMI inputs. In the US you should be able to find one of those for around $1,800. They also have a 46" version which is technically even more advanced. But, it would have been too big for where I wanted mine.

The Sharp LCD is great value for money, which will give you one of the top rated panels, for a true value price.

I am very happy with mine.

LCD...the picture quality is awesome and is wall mount ready if you want to go that way.

Be careful with Plasma, they burn out quickly and check your state for repairs for plasma tv's. I know in KY there are only 2 people that are qualified to work on plasma tv's so the price goes up a lot!!

Good luck :)
If I stand on my tip toes, I can see the weekend from here!

My father and a good friend both bought a Plasma tv and they only lasted like 1 1/2 yrs. Maybe it was just a case of bad luch for them but I know it turned me away from them. I have a LCD and love it. He was asking our opinion and so I gave it.
If I stand on my tip toes, I can see the weekend from here!

- LCD's use a 40% of the power of CRTs.
Plasma uses a 50% more power than a CRT.

- LCD's generate a 40% of the heat of a CRT.
Plasmas generate a 50% more heat than a CRT.

- Plasmas need a lot of heavy glass to withstand the
heat, so they are much heavier than LCDs.

- Plasmas turn a pixel off to represent black.
They are just as good as a CRT with dark scenes.
LCD's use polarization to try to hide the backlight, which
means their "black" is always a dark gray, so
they can't show dark scenes as well as plasma.

- 10-15 years ago laptop LCD screens were so directional
that you couldn't read it if you were sitting right
beside the user, so you had to get behind him and
look over his shoulder. I just bought a new 37"
Westinghouse and can watch the screen even
when I am almost at a right angle, so this is no
longer an issue.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.