jarrodh

Who is your favorite Guitarist?

Little side question:

Which of the rock guitar gods mentioned so far in this thread can read/write notes?

(For the smartasses: I mean sheet music, not banknotes, post-it notes or whatnot...)

I know for sure that Brian May can and I think that Mark Knopfler probably can, but most probably can't. For example, last time I checked, Slash couldn't. And wasn't interested either.

Sorry for the hijacking, but the thread will be released as soon as the ransom (in the form of answers) is received.

Alphons

Satriani can read/write music fluently and is an expert in music theory.
__

My mighty steed

what, not even one mention of Eddie Van Halen?!? :S

He is one of the greatest of his genre. He can do things with his guitar that nobody else can.

Yes, thank-you. My favorite is Eddie, hands down.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I awoke just now to find the thread I started has turned out really good. Some of these guitarists Ive never even heard of before, Ive looked up on youtube and theyre awesome.

Im a little surprised to not see many votes for Kirk Hammett and Angus Young so I guess Im the only Hard Rock/Metal head out there. but thats to be expected, old school hard rock (my favorite genre) aint for everyone.

My 4th place vote would have been Eddie Van Halen for sure. Hes awesome.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Little side question:

Which of the rock guitar gods mentioned so far in this thread can read/write notes?

(For the smartasses: I mean sheet music, not banknotes, post-it notes or whatnot...)

I know for sure that Brian May can and I think that Mark Knopfler probably can, but most probably can't. For example, last time I checked, Slash couldn't. And wasn't interested either.

Sorry for the hijacking, but the thread will be released as soon as the ransom (in the form of answers) is received.

Alphons

I can read and write music. What I cannot do is translate notes onto the guitar very well. Probably the same for most.

So these guys cannot read the notes for a G-flat half diminshed scale. But they can play it. Or they might now be able to write down or read the music for an Em7flat5th. But they can play it.

I can show you web pages where they show a person how to read and write music but give a guitar to these web pages and it does nothing. Computers can tell you what the things are, but the computers cannot pick up the axe and play it (well, most can't - i'm sure someone has invetend a robot to do that).

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Im a little surprised to not see many votes for Kirk Hammett and Angus Young so I guess Im the only Hard Rock/Metal head out there. but thats to be expected, old school hard rock (my favorite genre) aint for everyone.

Basically, my two favorites are Eddie and Angus, hands down. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Basically, my two favorites are Eddie and Angus, hands down. B|

>:(Hell Yeah>:(
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

In no particular order, here's a few of my favorites:

Steve Morse - the Dixie Dregs (and Deep Purple)

Steve Vai

John Petrucci - Dream Theater

Eric Johnson

Jimi Hendrix

Paul Gilbert

Mark Knopfler

Keith Urban (sp?) (He kicks ass!)

Vince Gill (Hey, check him out!)

Gato (Hey, check me out.) :o

If you say girls can't play, you might say they can't skydive, and then they will kick your ass (out-play, out-jump, etc.) Then they will remind you how they kicked your ass and you'll deserve it. ;)
T.I.N.S.

But they can play it.

Of course. I didn't mean to suggest that there's anything wrong with not being able to read notes. Just wondering, that's all.

In fact, I think that probably some of the best players out there can't read a single note. But since they have such an incredible feel for their instrument they can make their guitar do anything they want it to do and play anything they want, regardless of whether it's in on a piece of paper or in their heads.

Come to think of it, such an ability probably much more makes them a virtuoso than the ability to read notes ever could.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I admire so many
just a few of them are on this list, in no particular order...
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Brian May
Hendrix
Jon Williams
Eric Johnson
BB King
Jimmy Page
Jeff Healey
Joe Satriani
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Slash
Roger Waters

LOADS of them aren't there?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If you say girls can't play

I'm not saying girls can't play. Not at all. I wouldn't dare. I just noticed that almost every player mentioned so far (at least until I brought up the girl issue) is a guy.

Alphons (chicks who can play are way cool!)
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy