marinho

I had a malfunction and...

On my 4th AFF jump my PC ended up on top of my canopy enducing a right turn. Only to stop the turn was pull done hard on my left toggle. I didn't pull the reseerve cos i thought i had it under control. Never thought about the landing though...:o

Luckily, although it was quite hard i managed to not break anything

Got a very big telling off from my instructor for not chopping. Learnt my lesson that day!! hehe

Mikey
------------------------------------------
Fear Is Weakness Leaving Your Body

dude...

I see your profile says Nitron150 @1.6 and that seems to be what you are flying in the photo, which looks like maybe tension knots on one or both sides keeping the slider stuck up there.

What canopies were your spinners on and what was your canopy experience at that point?

I have a few hundred jumps (almost always in a Birdman S3) on a Nitro 120 @ 1.6 and that thing resisted spinning up in twists like nobody's business.

I did chop a Nitro 135 though when I just downsized and went elliptical at 450 jumps and I was flying my wingsuit at the Holiday Boogie in elopy with a MAX pull height of 2500ft. Spinning on my back below 2000ft in a wingsuit freaked me right the hell out the first time.

Since then I have learned to deal with deployments better and given that same situation now I am confident I could have fixed it before hitting my hard deck.

Just wondering if your spinners are the same kind of deal.

cya
sam

hey gus,

this doesn't really count as mine but i took a reserve ride under tandem this morning. luckily i was with a good instructor.

joe

That's why everybody on the ground were wondering why "that" guy opened so high!:S
You guys had a freezing ride!:P

Another bottle of crown to my collection!;)

Cheers,
Gus Marinho

Yo!

the first spinner i had was on an older Nitron150. i had just down sized and switched from a sabre2 190. i know that is generally not a recommended progression, but hey, its what i did. i had somewhere around 530 jumps when i bought the first Nitron150.

that first spinner was a super rushed, low deployment after a leader of a flocking dive corked and sent people every which way. it was a big mess. i tracked for longer than i normally would because i wasnt sure where the hell all the other bodies went. i was low...didnt waste too much time fighting it.

second spinner had me on my back and did spook me a little bit. wasnt making any progress as i got real close to my 1800' hard deck so i choose to chop it.

these two chops were no more than 2 weeks apart
:S

Alex

edit>> as you mentioned, the jump i made in my canopy choices and size didnt seem like a big deal until i found myself under line twists. things happen fast at a moderate wing loading. i have had line twists since then and it really isnt as spooky once you've been there a couple times.
what!?

no RR's yet... *knock on wood*

I've had line twists several times... but on one of my hop&pops this past weekend I had a baglock.

Interestingly enough, since I hopped out and pulled at 7k, it stood me up and when I looked up and saw the bag floating around above me I knew i had a little bit of time to mess with it before chopping. I reached up and grabbed the risers and gave a sharp yank down on them which ended up busting the bottom 2 rubber bands on one side and let the deployment continue on as scheduled. Ended up only having a couple of line twists and was in the saddle by 6k with plenty of time to still play with my canopy *whew*

I packed a little bit more carefully the next time. :)

Another bottle of crown to my collection!;)

Cheers,

i'm not sure what that means since i'm still new to this sport. does that mean that i owe you a bottle of crown?

The custom is that you owe your rigger a bottle of his choice if you use your reserve and it functions properly and saves your life.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What if you were on the front of a Tandem and the pilot in command used the reserve? I am not sure of the protocol here.

Give the TI a hummer... and the TI give the rigger a bottle???? :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What if you were on the front of a Tandem and the pilot in command used the reserve? I am not sure of the protocol here.

***We, the passenger, Instructor and I will drink that bottle together!:P!
For God's sake, Dough just tried to explain a tradition that you must keep it!;)
I never mentioned that the passenger is the one to buy a bottle of crown!:S:S

Now back to the original posts. No hijacking please!!!:P
Gus Marinho

... i lived

All right, the list above is all my malfunctions. I'm not looking for numbers, just type of malfunctions, but you're free to list all your malfunctions.

RR#1 jump #25 (got my A-License on this dive):
line twists

In retrospect I had plenty of altitude to deal with the line twists but as the twists got down to the risers I made my decision right then after a quick breath. I was happy to hear the mocking "Ha Ha!" with the Nelson-like finger point of my favorite packer as I walked to the hanger with my reserve bundled in my arms . . . :)
jason

#1 - Spinning linetwists. Stiletto [email protected] -> Techno 155
#2 - Spinning linetwists. Stiletto [email protected] -> same Techno 155
#3 - Spinning linetwists. Diablo [email protected] -> same Techno 155

Landed broken lines on a PD 9-Cell twice. Have kept and fixed 5 twists on a Triathlon 120. H&Ps on a bungee pilot are not necessarily a good idea, either.
Johan.
I am. I think.

RR#1: Happened on my 20th Jump. Line Over Mal.

RR#2: Happened somewhere around 1700 Jumps. Was jumping a badly out of trim Sabre. Opened into a line twist or two (probably body position :$) & a slight turn to the right... then quickly turned into an SBOS Mal when the right side of the canopy collapsed and tucked under.

RR#3: Happended somewhere around 2700 Jumps. Tension knots... left side of canopy not fully inflated... rigging in flight not a good idea... rode reserve the rest of the way down instead.