Thijs

New laptop: XP or Vista?

I'm going to need to buy a new laptop and I'm still thinking about the OS I want on it.

Has anyone already worked with Vista on a laptop? How does it work on it? Do you like it better then XP?

The laptop I need is mainly one for programming (C#, C, Java..), usage in experiments, mathematical calculations, etc..
I'm not really going to use it for playing games or watching movies.
Basicly I want an OS that is fast, stable, reliable.

Unfortunatly it must be a Windows OS, so Mac isn't an option.

In the UK all the major suppliers only supply Vista machines now think you would only find Xp offered by small custom build companies, not sure about what the supply in Belgium is like . Its taken me till just now to upgrade to Xp as I didn't want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft. Mac may be great but I'm a cheap bastard and that stuff is way to expensive :D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Sounds like you need XP based on how you plan on using the computer. Vista is more of a system hog, and you need a state of the art system to run it(video card, memory, processor). I have vista and its awesome, but I am a gamer and run it on a powerful machine. XP is what you need.
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

I know a bloke who works for MS and he asked their IT department for Vista on his works laptop. Apparently he was told that they don't recommend Vista for their own systems. This was about 4-5 months ago so the info could well be out of date by now.

Vista is great on a system that can handle its power hungry design. I find all the warnings and notifications really annoying when it's in recommneded security mode though.

Microsoft allows most of it's products to be installed "one version back" also. You should be able to buy Vista on the laptop and then install and use XP if you don't like Vista. The downside to that is you'll need to have copies of all the tools and applications that come with the laptop before you install XP (assuming you wanted them)
Owned by Remi #?

You don't get a choice. You can't buy XP licenses from any OEMs any more. You WILL get Vista, like it or not.

Make sure that you specify, in writing, that the laptop that you buy must have full support for XP.

I predict that Microsoft will soon force OEMs to not provide XP drivers for new hardware.

Mac

Well, it's a lot better. you can give the operating a really good kicking without it complaining. You can run it for months without rebooting. I use both mac and windows, so I know what I'm talking about.

And I don't do any windows Vista installations at work yet. Because we want other people to do the beta testing.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

You don't get a choice. You can't buy XP licenses from any OEMs any more. You WILL get Vista, like it or not.

Hmm, not here. Plenty of places where I still can get XP.

I need a new laptop myself, but all I really need it to do is check email, run a small database (access), and print first jump certificates. I'd like it to be able to run a seperate monitor outside the school so instructors/students can see what load they're on and who they're with in the queu. Ability to occasionally edit video would be nice but isn't necessary. Given this, I'm hoping to get a discounted machine that wasn't built with Vista in mind. I mean, XP was good enough last year...why not now?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Otherwise, it will destroy your system resources

Why is that?

Simply because it requires so much. I'm a gamer with an excellent computer, and I havent moved to Vista simply because its going to take a bunch of my system resources just to operate properly
-Sutton

Why is that?

For one thing it is apparently extremely graphics intensive.

Apart from that, well, as superior processing power becomes available software companies will write programs that require more processing power. It's just the way things go. According to some articles I've seen Vista renders most computers over a year old pretty much useless because they just can't handle its system requirements.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

my home insurance just replaced my stolen $400. refurbished Dell Laptop (piece of shit!) with:

The Satellite® P105 notebook-

A 17-inch diagonal widescreen WXGA+ display* with 1440x900 resolution and brilliant TruBrite™ technology. Advanced Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology*. The generous hard drive, professional-grade Intel graphic card, and integrated 802.11a/b/g wireless* LAN connectivity deliver faster data transfers. Toshiba's DVD SuperMulti Drive*, built-in harman/kardon® speakers.

Pentium® dual-core processor 1.60GHz
Operating System-
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32-bit)
Memory-1024MB
Display Size * 17.0"
Widescreen XGA+ with TruBrite™ Technology
Resolution-1440x900
Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Graphics Memory-8MB-196MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Hard Drive-120GB
Hard Drive Speed -5400rpm
Optical Drive
DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)

No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
V.92 Modem
LAN
10/100
Audio Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), Windows Sound System
AC Adapter
75W (15V 5.0A) Auto-sensing, 100-240V / 50-60Hz input
Battery Type
Li-Ion (6-cell, 4000mAh)
PC Card Slots
1-Type II PC Card Slot
1-ExpressCard™ Slot
Media Port
5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
USB Slots
4-USB (2.0)
iLINK
i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
S-Video
TV-out (S Video)
Software *
Microsoft Works, TOSHIBA ConfigFree®, TOSHIBA Disc Creator, TOSHIBA Game Console, Microsoft® Office OneNote® 2007, TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator, TOSHIBA Speech System, Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® for Toshiba, InterVideo® WinDVD® 8 SD, Protector Suite™ QL by UPEK®
Weight
Starting at 7.1lbs
Color
Onyx Blue Metallic
Warranty *
1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery

Also Includes:

Onyx Blue Metallic Cover, Microsoft® Works, Microsoft® Office OneNote™ 2007, Toshiba ConfigFree®, Toshiba Disc Creator, Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator, Toshiba Game Console, InterVideo® WinDVD® 8 SD, InterVideo® WinDVD Creator 2 Platinum, Protector Suite™ QL by UPEK®, 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter, ExpressCard™ slot, 4-USB (2.0) ports, i.LINK™ IEEE-1394, TV-out (S-Video), 10/100 LAN port, V.92 modem port, RGB monitor port, Microphone jack (monaural), headphone jack (stereo)

So, now I have 14 days to try it out or return it to trade in ($1,000. cnd. off a MAC..)

What is the difference between Vista basic & premium??
First thing I did was turn off the UAC (user account control)
Photo import in Windows XP, you could preview the pictures on the attached camera and select exactly which photos to download. That way, if you had several events captured on the memory card, you could download them separately be stepping through the wizard once for each event.
In Vista, you can’t choose. You get all these great file naming and tagging options, but you have to download the entire contents of the camera in one giant whack. It’s less useful than photo import in XP.
My Windows Movie Maker problem (turned out to be “enabled” codecs that I had previously disabled to avoid conflicts).
I think the new interface is pretty slick, if taken in small doses. What I can't abide by are the tall Title Bars, the super-sized Close button, the Play buttons with elephantitis, and the translucent pixel bloat that makes me feel like I should be using that space for better things.......

SMiles;)

The laptop I need is mainly one for programming (C#, C, Java..), usage in experiments, mathematical calculations, etc..

in your case you will HATE VISTA. At least I do. It is nothing but a resourse intensive MAC Lite. When I first started testing my Ap on Vista, it was a major pain. This whole "Run as administrator" concept was a major hassle. Im logged in as Administrator.. of course I want to run this ap as administrator.. Noooooo, You have to go to functions and then select "Run as Administrator. What do you mean I cant modify an ini file??:S. the search will totally ignore the Program files directory and the windows directory. Never did figure out how to get the search to work at all for these folders. and the "Are you sure?" "No, really are you absolutely sure?" "Are you absolutely completely sure?" not only for every application but every dll you load as well is a MAJOR pain.

Trust me.. The more sophisticated of a user you are, the less you will like Vista.

Why is that?

Simply because it requires so much. I'm a gamer with an excellent computer, and I havent moved to Vista simply because its going to take a bunch of my system resources just to operate properly

Yes offcourse, I think I missread/misunderstood what you said.
Sorry :$

Trust me.. The more sophisticated of a user you are, the less you will like Vista.

I'm an SE working for a Microsoft reseller and it pains me, but I agree. Vista is kind of like having a 4y/o kid questioning anything you do, every time you do it.

This Apple ad is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n4mdcXa8B0&mode=related&search=
Owned by Remi #?

I predict that Microsoft will soon force OEMs to not provide XP drivers for new hardware.

Why would they? They don't seem to have a problem with OEMs providing even older drivers for new hardware.

I think that they'll force it because if people can use Win2000 or XP on new hardware they might choose a mature, stable (more or less) operating system, instead of v1.0 of a Microsoft product. No money for Microsoft in that scenario.

In theory, if you blow away your old system, you can transfer the OS license to a new system. No revenue for Microsoft there. If there are no drivers, you can't do this. Probably not really 100% legit, but close enough for those that actually "try" to maintain license compliance.