DougH

Is aerodyne really a lower tier manufacturer...

I know a lot of dealers talk about ranking manufacturers in upper and lower tiers. I was told for instance that Vectors and Jav's are in the upper teir. This seems to agree with pricing and options as well.

Where is aerodyne in the shake down?

I jump Icons right now and I love them, I love the pilot as well.

It obviously is safe gear, but I haven't jumped enough gear to step back and compare it to the other makes. In my mind it is the tits compared to my student gear.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Shhh!
Don't tell our students.
They seem quite happy jumping all the shiny new Aerodyne Solo 270 canopies that I assembled this spring.
Also keep that information quiet to our three students who used their Tempo 250 reserves (built by PISA before it was absorbed by Aerodyne).
When discussing Icon Student containers with one of our instructors, he opined that Icons would be better than several North American-made student containers.
Shhh!

Canopies or containers??? Two different beasts...

I have 500 jumps on a Aerodyne canopy. (Pilot)

It held up well.

Looks maybe 100 jumps old.

Only comment... They had a serial number plate that - all the silk screen ink - and serial number writing - wore off in 200 jumps. Never wet.

So, when I sell my canopy - the buyer will have to believe me on what it is, because everything (size, serial number, make, model, warning messages) is all just blank now on an orange plate...

I told the Aerodyne rep at a boogie and I got a laugh, "so what"...

Also, a few e-mails to Aerodyne corporate were never returned, when PD responded the same hour on the same question...

Since the serial number is not required to save your live or make it fun to fly, I can't really say I am upset that much.

So - I believe after jumping the product, that it is not quite as good as say a PD in customer service and workmanship, but I have no regrets on jumping it for so long.

Only comment... They had a serial number plate that - all the silk screen ink - and serial number writing - wore off in 200 jumps. Never wet.

It took me less than 40 jumps. I've seen the details of the canopy are written in ink and not printed there and they are still visible.

I did the same and I was told they know about it and labels are produced in a different way now.

It took me less than 40 jumps. I've seen the details of the canopy are written in ink and not printed there and they are still visible.

I did the same and I was told they know about it and labels are produced in a different way now.

If it puts things in perspective, we have a Spectre 135 with about 500 jumps with the exact same problem.
Remster

Aerodyne is considered second tier because they have not given a bazillion free rigs to gold medal teams like Arizona Airspeed, DeLand Magic, etc.
Remember that skydiving consumers pay for those sponsored rigs in the long run.

Rob hit this one right on the head. The manufacturing process and reliability of todays modern canopies are damn near totally equivalent. The main factor in peoples attitude toward different gear in my opinion is how much exposure they get. You have to remember that all gear is subjected to the same testing process in order to get the TSO rating. Aerodyne has great products....so does PD.....so does Sunrise....and on and on and on.....

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Doug

There is alot of good equipment made not only in North America but also around the world, and some of these companies have been around for 20yrs or so. And thus the reputation is strong within the skydiving community.

Aerodyne has and still makes excellent quality, affordable gear. Yes we dont have a bunch of sponsored teams, to give us the exposure that many of our competitors have, but then nor does our consumer pay for that privilege in higher costs.

I'm glad you like our gear and I would encourage you to demo PD, Icarus, Sunpath, Sunrise Products etc. It will give you a much more educated opinion on gear that is available.

And like always let me know if I can be of any help or assistance in regards to Aerodyne Gear.

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
Mobile: 1 813 841 2149
[email protected]
www.flyaerodyne.com

So, when I sell my canopy - the buyer will have to believe me on what it is, because everything (size, serial number, make, model, warning messages) is all just blank now on an orange plate...

Also, a few e-mails to Aerodyne corporate were never returned, when PD responded the same hour on the same question...

--------------------------------------------

We are aware of the issue with the writting fading on our lables and have been looking into ways to make it more durable.

I hope it was not me that you chatted to at the "boogie" who gave you the "so what" reply :)
and lastly, were you trying to contact us via our website or a specific e-mail?

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
Mobile: 1 813 841 2149
[email protected]
www.flyaerodyne.com

Yeah, they suck.:P

Just kidding, they're fine by me. Although I think I prefer some of the PD counterpart canopies, I have absolutely no problem jumping Aerodyne products. You can drive your Camry and I'll drive my Accord or whatever.

-----------------------------

We all (Aerodyne, PD, Icarus, Sunpath etc etc) sell good, safe, quality gear and it would be foolish for any Sale Rep to think that there might not be a world of difference, in the opinion of one person to another about likes, and dislikes of gear.

I have been jumping Aerodyne for just over 3yrs now, long before i worked for them ... and this is what makes me know that Aerodyne has some of the best gear available on the market, and at a good price, who could dispute that (ok I know many might)

Hope you have a sunny, fun, safe day
;);)

I know a lot of dealers talk about ranking manufacturers in upper and lower tiers.

How about a precursor question: What is all this about "tiers"? I presume that "upper tier" is better than "lower tier", but what are the differences between the two? What makes one manufacturer an upper tier, and another a lower tier?

What is all this about "tiers"? I presume that "upper tier" is better than "lower tier", but what are the differences between the two? What makes one manufacturer an upper tier, and another a lower tier?

Good questions. I've been out of gear sales for a couple of years now so things may have changed, but I never used, nor did I ever hear anyone use, the terms "upper and lower tier."

nor did I ever hear anyone use, the terms "upper and lower tier."

I have heard it used in reference to dealers. But that was back in the days when every other jumper was a dealer of something and worked out of their trunk. It was in relationship to the dollar amount of sales made in a given period of time.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Where is Aerodyne in the shake down?

At the top! The Icons are made in Deland by the same manufacture that has been making both military and sport products for RWS, Mirage, PD, Para-Flite and Eiff Classic Canopies to name a few for years. It is the best and fastest growing facility of its kind in Deland and the products that came out of it while I was the Engineering Manager at RWS had the best quality and lowest rejection rate of any vendor that we used.

Nuff said!
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

I know a lot of dealers talk about ranking manufacturers in upper and lower tiers. I was told for instance that Vectors and Jav's are in the upper teir. This seems to agree with pricing and options as well.

Where is aerodyne in the shake down?

I jump Icons right now and I love them, I love the pilot as well.

It obviously is safe gear, but I haven't jumped enough gear to step back and compare it to the other makes. In my mind it is the tits compared to my student gear.

Hi Dougie H,

WTF is a lower tier manufacturer? I've been in this business (on and off) for nearly 30 years, every one of them has to conform (in the US) to the TSO standard, which basicly makes them all equal under law (and in actuallity the real world as well) . How does this question come about? The reason I say this is; The market will weed them out over time
if they produce an inferior product. I don't see your beef w/ Aerodine. Your thoughts?

Mick.

Hi Dougie H,

WTF is a lower tier manufacturer? I've been in this business (on and off) for nearly 30 years, every one of them has to conform (in the US) to the TSO standard, which basicly makes them all equal under law (and in actuallity the real world as well) . How does this question come about? The reason I say this is; The market will weed them out over time
if they produce an inferior product. I don't see your beef w/ Aerodine. Your thoughts?

Mick.

Hey Mick. I don't have any beef with Aerodyne, which is why I asked the question. I think the ICONS that my college club/team uses are excellent, and I love the pilot that I jump.

It was an innocent question, I think my gear is at the top of the bunch, but I had heard from others that it wasn't at the top as far as gear goes.

Obviously there are different quality levels in gear, but that doesn't mean the lower ones are unsafe. Chevy versus bmw. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I think the common problem is people deciding that the kit they have is the best, and every other manufacturer is of a lower standard.

A lot of it has to do with sales price, with the natural instinct saying that the more something costs, the better it must be... :S I do think that sometimes people just pay for the name.

Its like the 'Babycham' con (fizzy alcohol drink from the 80s!) - originally launched relatively cheap, it was not seen as cool or a good drink. It was pulled off the market, repackaged and sold at a much higher price... suddenly it was the classy drink to have in your hand at parties...[:/]:D People sometimes just want to part with the cash...

Me? I have jumped Aerodyne canopies for 2 years now and I love them. I have tried a few other major manufacturers canopies and they were fine too, but certainly not better.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I think it's just badmouthing on the part of a few unscrupulous individuals. You'll always find somebody who will say something shitty about the competitor. Have you ever heard Ford and Chevy truck owners talk about the other brand ? Same thing.

I jump a Pilot now, used to jump a Spectre. Love them both, the change had nothing to do with being disatisfied with the make or performance of the canopy. My reserve's a PD, it's the one I got with the used rig I bought. My riggers tell me it's in excellent condition, so I have no reason to want to change. If I were buying a new reserve, it would be either a PD or a Smart, depending on the deal I could get.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !