PROGRESSIVE

Quiting Skydiving

I'm sitting in a nursing home, and have been for the last month, laying on my back with a fractured pelvis in five places, a lacerated liver, broken back and ribs, herneated disk, broken left tibia and a broken right shoulder. I've got pins and plates in my left tibia and throughout my pelvis, front and back.

I was in ICU for 8 days, out of a 20 day stay.
I have partial paralysis in both my calfs and feet. I will likely walk again with time.

I crashed my hangglider!

I've been hang gliding for over 21 yrs and never got into an accident until now. I've been skydiving since 1979 and only had a dislocated shoulder on a jump at Z Hills back in 1984.

My wife and I recently adopted a baby boy last November, to give him a good life. I almost bought the farm and made my wife a single mom.

I told my wife that I'm going to reduce my risks in life and spend more time with family...Wow, I never thought I'd say that! I hate the thought of giving up this sport of skydiving, but I hate it more here sitting in this God Forsaken Nursing Home with people crying for help 24/7. What a reality check!

I slammed in my hangglider from 150 feet while towing in the remote part of Utah. No time to throw my chute. No time to do anything. I don't even remember the stupid flight. It cost someone $10,000 just to life flight me to the U of U hospital. It was another $130,000 for my hospital stay including surgerys. Its another $5,000 per month in this God Forsaken Nursing Home!

I'm going to be okay, but Goddamn, I didn't see this coming!

Pete

PS: The ground is very hard and gravity sucks!

there is so much more to life than sporting endevours,
Heal fast, and enjoy the things most important to you:)Good luck

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The good news out of this whole nightmare is at the time of my accident I weighed 208 pounds. I'm now 170!

You do know Weight Watchers is only about $10.00 week and would have been a much cheaper and and less painful weight reduction program?

Look, Pete...
You have to do what's best for you, your family, your situation, and your future.
No one can direct you in that decision-making process, but you.
All we can do is support you and hope you'll swing by the DZ on occasion for some grub and :D

Get well soon.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Wow...so sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm so glad you're alive to tell it!

We all have to make choices based on our circumstances in life, and I'm sure you're making the right one for you and your family.

Please keep us updated on your progress!!

Peace, blessings and full healing to you.
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

I told my wife that I'm going to reduce my risks in life and spend more time with family...Wow, I never thought I'd say that! I hate the thought of giving up this sport of skydiving

I wouldn’t quit the sport just because your kid won’t have a father.

People die all the time and there is always someone left behind to clean up the mess.

As unsettling as it sounds, you are not that important. You aren’t going to cure Cancer or stop world hunger.

Don’t let the fear of death stop you from enjoying your lifestyle.

If you die, you won’t be around to miss yourself. Your wife will remarry and your child will grow up thinking their dad was cool for dying in a skydiving accident.

You see? It all works out.

People die all the time and there is always someone left behind to clean up the mess.

That's why I give him credits for doing what he is doing. Dying is the easy part, as you're not the one left behind dealing with the bullshit.
I'd call most skydivers who claim they know the risks they are taking liars. Or naive at best. I don't hear too many people saying "hey, if I slam myself into the ground, end up in a wheelchair eating out of tubes and pissing into a bag for the rest of my life, that's cool! My friends and family won't mind, they'll think it was cool I was a skydiver".
People do things for personal reasons. Whether skydiving or deciding to quit skydiving, it's a personal choice. Just live with it...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'm leaving this nursing home tomorrow! People here are literally dying to get out of this place!

I'm still in a wheel chair, but as soon as my pelvis heals to the point where it can bare weight, I'm going to learn to walk again!

This is a road I don't ever want to travel on again.

Pete

PS: The attachment is the TLSO that I have to wear for the next month due to my broken back.

wow, you are so lucky to even be alive. Heal fast and remember the sky is always there for you to come back to if your life heads back in this direction.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hey Man I take my hay off to you. I am in the ARMY and I must say that I long to be jumping again. To have gone through what you have gone through and still have the will to survive and want to be there for your Family. The skydiving community will miss you but you have to do what needs to be done and the most important thing is your family.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to walk again.
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!