whodamiss

Dogs on the drop zone?

Skydive The Farm, ROCKS! Best weekend vacation my dog and the wife me have ever had, it was great to visit a place where we could bring our pup and all the dogs got along very well. While I did see a few poop piles around, they were in place that it shouldn't be an issue for footwear.

Also my pup got to learn to swim and she had just as much weekend fun (if not more) as we did and it made for a quite 8 hour ride home, the dog was beat and slept most the way home.

Now that pup "tandem guy" owns, almost came home with me.

Over all the Farm is great and I look forward to a return visit in the near future and so dose Riley my 3 yr. old lab.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I prefer Drop Zones that have a strict (and enforced) NO DOG policy.

Rules and leash laws don't work. Dogs shit on the grass where people would like to pack. Ignorant ownes don't always clean up after them and/or don't always supervise them while they're off skydiving, packing, having a beer, etc... and they get bent when someone tells them to control their dog.

Unfortunately, my home DZ is not one of them. Furthermore, I wish they'd run the damn cats off too that some of the DZ bums have taken to feeding and also tell some of the same folk to quit breaking dogs out of the local dog jail because they "feel sorry for them". The whole back of the hangar smells like cat and dog piss and we've had at least one instance of a cat pissing on someone's canopy... cat died shortly there after.

"I'm sure your dog is nice, but leave your fuckin' dog at home!"... IMO

Unfortunately too, I'm not a DZO and am 99.9% certain I never will be, so all I can do is grit my teeth and keep close watch on my gear.

How'd ja do that? You're sooo my hero!!!!:)

that's not true... I posted a picture of how to make a clicky... and there are a number of threads about it... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=clicky&sb=score&mh=25

as for dogs on a dropzone I don't have a problem with it... as long as like others have said the dogs are kept in control. Karma used to be a regular at all of the GA dzs and I would either keep her in a kennel or tether her in the shade with her pet bed and water near by.

I also would generally exercise her for 30-40 minutes before jumping started... (she's a labrador mix and loves chasing tennis balls... so I bring a chuckit and she gets some quality exercise... B|)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Speaking of dogs...anybody want one?

Some bozo left a dog here this weekend.

Blue eyes, got the "Husky" look, Brown and white, no collar/tag about 1.5 years old, female

We do NOT adopt dogs abandoned dogs here. She will sent to a good home or taken to the pound.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Scott, you are well-known for being one of the few responsible dog owners. It is much appreciated by all in GA, I assure you.

you just miss Karma... admit it... :P

thanks man... comming from you I know that means a lot... B|:)

2 or 3? no problem

the problem with city people is they don't have pets, they have "dogs that they think are their kids and they can't bear to leave them at home" for a couple days - and having a big dog in the city is cruel anyway without a good outdoor run. So, even if you have a 'rule' for dogs, there's always a couple that can't enforced it on their little "baby".

So you don't end up with 2 or 3 'regular' dogs (where you can get the owners to make sure they clean up, etc). You end up with 20. So then best to keep them leashed, kenneled, or caged up away from operations. Like at the camp areas.

There are people that are great at this and those that aren't. at most any DZ - most of the problem dogs come with the tandems, but still.

So what about - only for owners, staff and regulars keep them kenneled or personally attended, visitors - no way. And ANYONE with a dog has to clean up any poop regardless of who's dog did it - without hesitation.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Like I said.. A couple dogs are well behaved. MOST are not.

remind yourself to thank the owners of badly behaved dogs.

Tyson gets kind uppity when his "friends come to visit"

He is not completely broken of jumping for a reason, in case he needs to give a bite or tear out a throat.

in a few minutes he calms down, well as far as a high drive dog can.

Rainbo and Caz like to wind him up, but they know what they are doing.

also tell some of the same folk to quit breaking dogs out of the local dog jail because they "feel sorry for them.

I've helped break a dog or 2 out of that horrible cage in Cal City. :o

We found good homes for them though. :)

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

In my opinion it is just a matter of time before We have a serious problem from all the dogs at the DZ. I know of at least one dog that has already snipped at a few people. ANY dog that bites me or my daughter will be shot, Right then, Right there.

I know many others that feel the same way.

AJ is not the problem, Ridge is Not the Problem... But several others are a problem. especially when they start threading and/or attacking Humans.

This thread is about DOGS in general at a DZ, Not a Particular Dog at a particular DZ. In general, Dogs at the DZ are a Bad Idea. Dogs Shit, Dogs beg for food, Some dogs are aggressive and will bite.
Everyone says... No, Not MY Dog.:S

Yes, Some dogs are well behaved and do not cause problems (AJ, Ridge, Rigger and a few others) but they are the exception and not the rule.

In general, Dogs at a DZ are a Bad idea. It is just a matter of time before there is a problem. What happens when a Dog Bites a Tandem Student? Bet your ass the DZ and the Dog owner gets sued.

We have designated Smoking areas (even outside).. Why not have designated DOG areas too.

I don't think the dogs are the problem based on what you wrote... the owners are.

My 3 are in our trailer all day long, they are all lazy and happy that way. They are walked at least 3 times a day away from other people/dogs, and clean up after them. We only have one at a time (if any) around the bonfire, and even then only if we know everyone is ok with it and there aren't already a lot of other dogs out.

Most people have no idea that we have 250 lbs of dog in our trailer... they don't make noise.

Any owner can control their dogs the same way we do. Dogs are happy, we don't have to worry about driving 1.5 hr home at the end of every day to feed them/let them out, and they don't bother anyone.

If your dog isn't on a leash, it's a problem dog... it's not getting cleaned up after, it's not being kept away from people who are afraid of or don't like dogs, it is a nuisance dog.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I don't think the dogs are the problem based on what you wrote... the owners are.

My 3 are in our trailer all day long, they are all lazy and happy that way. They are walked at least 3 times a day away from other people/dogs, and clean up after them. We only have one at a time (if any) around the bonfire, and even then only if we know everyone is ok with it and there aren't already a lot of other dogs out.

Most people have no idea that we have 250 lbs of dog in our trailer... they don't make noise.

Any owner can control their dogs the same way we do. Dogs are happy, we don't have to worry about driving 1.5 hr home at the end of every day to feed them/let them out, and they don't bother anyone.

If your dog isn't on a leash, it's a problem dog... it's not getting cleaned up after, it's not being kept away from people who are afraid of or don't like dogs, it is a nuisance dog.

QFT!!!

the only time Karma is off leash is when I'm throwing a ball for her early in the morning (usually before everyone else gets up... what can I say I don't drink so I'm not generally hungover in the morning...) :$:D

Well said.
I also think that a Large DZ that is not on an Airport could easily have an open area where dogs can run and Play without being a nuisance.. As Long as that area is seperated from the Hangar/Packing area and the Landing Areas and everyone would be happy.

I love dogs, I just dont think for a minute that they have the same rights as people. They are animals, not children.

I don't take my girls to the DZ that often, but the above is about how I approach it when I do. They're in the trailer when I'm jumping, with occasional bathroom breaks that I immediately clean up after. They understand the phrase "you cross this line, you die" which is what I use to keep them outside the hangar (I'll admit the bulldog presses that issue out of stubbornness, even if it's only one paw in the hangar). When I let them off leash, they stay within 10 or so feet of me. They never nipped at anyone, anywhere, including the dz. If they act up, or I need to do something else, they get put back in the trailer. With as much time as I spend at the DZ, I want it to feel like home. Sometimes my dogs help in that regard. However I try to be as courteous as I can at the same time. Owners that let their dogs run wild are annoying. Owners that don't pick up their dog's shit just flat out piss me off.

Edit to add: I'll be getting a new dog this fall that will travel to the DZ with me much more often (i.e. every weekend). However there are good reasons I'm waiting till the fall...so I have all winter to train her and so she can acclimate to proper dropzone behavior in the spring when it's not that busy instead of just plunging her into frantic activity that requires a lot of my attention itself. Dogs are at least as prone to sensory overload as skydiving students, and the dropzone is just the kind of atmosphere to cause it if not taken into account beforehand with proper training and acclimation.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Once at Tecumseh Mi A guy pulled in with a Corvette Cconvertible and a large German Shepard. He was told then to not let his dog on our side of the fence as it was a packing area. He could take his dog across the lot to the woods on the west side. He let his dog roam and eventually took a dump in the packing area. When asked why he did that he said "A dog has to do what a dog has to do" He then went to the manifest, Upon returning he found the drivers seat decorated with his dogs blessing. He screamed "Why did you people do that?" He got the reply "A jumper has to do what a jumper has to do" He then screamed "Who did this?" For a totally un rehearsed answer from 8 guys quite a bit bigger than him all said at once "I did" After scraping the doo-doo- out he drove off spinning his wheels "I am never coming back". Gee we already knew that and another unanmous grin.

Dogs are better than children running around.

amen to that.little rugrat bastards.

It all depends on the parents. I don't mind kids around if the parents have them disciplined properly and to keep them out of the hangar or in a designated area where they don't get in the way.

Be careful who you call little rugrat bastards.... Chinaman and his wife might take exception to that remark..... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Once at Tecumseh Mi A guy pulled in with a Corvette Cconvertible and a large German Shepard. He was told then to not let his dog on our side of the fence as it was a packing area. He could take his dog across the lot to the woods on the west side. He let his dog roam and eventually took a dump in the packing area. When asked why he did that he said "A dog has to do what a dog has to do" He then went to the manifest, Upon returning he found the drivers seat decorated with his dogs blessing. He screamed "Why did you people do that?" He got the reply "A jumper has to do what a jumper has to do" He then screamed "Who did this?" For a totally un rehearsed answer from 8 guys quite a bit bigger than him all said at once "I did" After scraping the doo-doo- out he drove off spinning his wheels "I am never coming back". Gee we already knew that and another unanmous grin.

THAT... WAS... FUCKING... AWESOME... dude!!!! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And he has another one on the way. He's wishing he came with me to the clinic now i bet you
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Dogs are better than children running around.

Generally I'd say it depends on the dogs and the kids, but experience suggests that unattended, misbehaved kids are MUCH more irritating than similarly neglected dogs.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

And he has another one on the way. He's wishing he came with me to the clinic now i bet you

Oh really??? That poor bastard... :D

I agree about kids vs. dogs. I love some kids at the DZ though. One guy brings his 8 year old and I love it when the kid is in the hangar while dad's in the air. I put that little guy to work. He knows more about packing than some jumpers. I keep him busy cleaning up broken rubber bands, checking windows on bridles to make sure I cocked the pilot chute right, getting me rubber bands and pull up cords, chasing down packing tickets when people forget to get them for me. He's a great kid, very smart, asks a lot of good questions. He's very proud of how much he 'helps' the packers and we give him a couple bucks at the end of the day. One of our packers talks a lot and gets distracted from packing, so this kid will even tell him to 'shut up and pack' :)
Other people's kids are fun :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Just once I would like to be able to sit down and eat a meal without 10 dogs running up and sitting at my feet begging.

That part doesn't bother me so much as the dogs who get wet in the pond then track the mud in and drip it all over my gear on the floor of the hangar. The Farm may be a dog-friendly place, but it's kinda annoying sometimes.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie