billvon

San Diego/LA fires

There are several fires burning in the area now, and they're going to get worse fast. Two in San Diego (Potrero and Ramona) are headed towards San Diego very quickly - winds are gusting to 60mph. There's a big one in Malibu and we drove through one near San Bernadino. That one got big fast - we drove right by the fire as it was burning and the railing was collapsing as it burned the posts out.

Hope these winds calm down soon.

The one burning in Castaic is really bad too. We're in Simi and the smoke is so bad, it's hard to breathe outside and there is ash everywhere.

The wind is just insane today. Horrible conditions for a fire. :S

I hate fire season.

I'm in the Valley as well. I just got home from L.A.
Signs on the fwy said there is one at Topanga and Mullholland as well.

It's awful. Smoke and ash everywhere. This sucks.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

60 minutes did a bit on how forest fires are now becoming monstrous. It's because we spent a century stopping them before they started. Since fires were a part of the natural cycle we're at a point where there's so much fuel that we can't possibly stop them once they've lit. Also, all of those 1000 year old trees that survived the smaller natural fires are dying in these mega fires.

Odd thing was that the next story was about how a miracle food was found that is stopping all the starvation that was occuring in a lot of arid and overpopulated parts of Africa. I'll let everyone wait 30 years and we'll get back to this topic. No, it wasn't called Soylent Green.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

we drove through one near San Bernadino. That one got big fast - we drove right by the fire as it was burning and the railing was collapsing as it burned the posts out.

Didn't see the one in San Bernardino when I drove home this evening. Guessing they got it out already.

For a list of the blazes occurring today: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20071021-1723-ca-californiawildfires.html [:/]

Winds are still whipping around up here where I live (San Bernarino County). I was unhappy about all the grit in my eyes and teeth, but now I'm just happy that there aren't any flames. :|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You Cali folk take care...my brother used to live out there and had to dodge a couple of those fires with the clothes on his back, carrying a freaked out cat.[:/]

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

How many of the current batch of blazes were set intentionally?

I recall flying a Twin Otter out of Elsinore and watching a car stopping several times along the road that goes south from Saddleback Peak in the Ortegas. Within 15 minutes there were five fires going and it still took almost an hour to get a response from the sheriff's department. Naturally, the deputy came to the dropzone instead of getting on up the hill and the arsonist was long gone before anyone started looking for them.
We did get a pretty good airshow from the S-2s and helicopters that came to fight the fire.
Zing Lurks

I had a house that backed up into Griffith Park which burned this year. (Since sold) Lemme tell y'all. I thought I knew adrenalin and fear really well. After seeing that fire coming at me and my family I have a far greater respect for what fear can be. I've been thru hurricanes, earthquakes, civil war, and two county fairs but man, nothing came close to that. I won't miss the CA fire seasons AT ALL ! ! !

jon

Just hopping on-line today for the first time.

We lost power last night and SoCal Edison just got it back up a few minutes ago. Holy crap. Sky outside was nearly black about an hour ago. Just now learning about a fire not horribly far away.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I was watching MSNBC this morning and wathing home after hom go up in Malibu...including a huge church complex and the Castle

I was thinking a Concrete Castle might have been a better option.

Having a fireproof home down there would be a good thing.
I remember in college hauling loads of Plywood and cedar shakes out of Willamette Valley mills during my summer break... all of them going to Sothern California.

Nothing like having some of the best kindling in the world..... for your roofing material.

We lost power last night and SoCal Edison just got it back up a few minutes ago. Holy crap. Sky outside was nearly black about an hour ago. Just now learning about a fire not horribly far away.

Hope you are safe and all is well, try to sleep soundly, although I have been thru a fire once, and I didn't sleep well for months after.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

[\
\. No, it wasn't called Soylent Green.

I have always believed in, and practiced controlled burns..

How many of these youngun's have ANY idea what Soylent Green is?? What a great THOUGHT provoking movie!

I introduce you to Plumpy Nut, gauranteed to keep the world artificially fed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumpy'nut
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Whoa, what city are you in?

im a pepperdine student. we were woke up at 6 30 and told to go down to the gym. me and my mate decided to get going while the going was good and get out of the area before all the roads shut down. so much for the midterm tomorrow. i guess thats one good thing. hopefuly we can get back soon.
we need to talk about your flare..

Update - all of Ramona is being evacuated. That's about 30,000 people. This one may be worse than the Cedar fire because of its proximity to Poway. They think it's up to about 8000 acres, and it just started this afternoon - and they aren't even sure because the smoke is so bad and the winds so strong they can't get aerial views of the fire.

hey guys....I live in Poway and am still awake, waiting to see what is happening.

I can barely breathe outside, the smoke is so thick.

I really really hope we don't have to evacuate, i live in south poway, backed up onto some very dry open space that could easily burn.

could use some prayers or vibes here.

Andi
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!