alanab

how do you find reliable workers (plumbing)?

so... i just bought a house! yay!!

i've got some issues from the home inspection that need fixed. a big part of the problems are with the plumbing. i had 4 estimates for the plumbing workk and i scheduled the most knowledageble guy to do the work starting this morning. this was after him not answering my calls and me having to threaten him by saying i'd use someone else if he didnt return my calls!

so the ass hat doesnt show up today or call me back after 4 calls and being late. last call i left him a vm saying if i didnt hear back in an hour id use someone else. well he called right away and gave me some bs about having truck problems and he'd call me back in an hour. that was 4 hours ago and hasnt picked up my last call either..... *go figure, he JUST called me as i was typing this!*.... he says his car wont be done today and that he'll come tomorrow at 8am.

do i trust that after all the bs ive dealt with him? i'm new to this whole scene, but i was looking for some advice in finding trustworthy workers that are reliable. i know its subject to different cities. but i dont know too many homeowners in denver to ask for referrals.

this is problably typical behavior for some people, but i'm NOT used to it at all. geez, it almost makes me wish i had gone into contracting and could do all that stuff myself!

your best bet to get good house maint work is probably to talk to some of your neighbors or friends to see who they would get to do the work...

I know that probably doesn't help much and this guy may actually be having car problems but personally I would stick to your guns and go with someone else... [:/]

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Look in the mirror.... When I brought my first house I learnt to do a lot of the work myself (couldn't afford to do otherwise) so I asked around a bunch of mates and there was pretty much always someone, or someone who knew someone who could point me in the right direction.

Also, I enjoy it ..... mostly.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Congratulations!

If you think your plumber is a pain now, wait until you pay him and he's about half way through the job. Sack him now and save yourself the trouble.
Here is a good place to start looking for what you need: http://www.troubleshooter.com/
Also, I know these guys do good work: http://www.chaputplumbing.com/index.htm

Good luck!

-where is the house and when is the housewarming?:P

There's a saying around where I live that the secret to success in the trades is just showing up reasonably close to on time.

No one is a good enough plumber for you to put up with that much grief. You don't owe him anything but a phone call saying that you've decided to take your business elsewhere. And don't let him talk you into keeping him after all, because he'll just keep doing it.

Note: none of this applies if he really is the only qualified guy around to do the work. Then it's like dealing with the cable company -- buy some nice wine and just sip until they're there, because you sure won't be in a mood to go to work after that.

You can try Angie's List if you live in one of their areas. There is a fee to join, but it's not that much. Other than that, you did the right thing. Talk to your neighbors (this is a great way to meet them), talk to co-workers, and just get the next guy. Make it clear that showing up on time matters, and that calling if they're not going to show up on time (stuff DOES happen to make that hard) matters more.

And congrats on getting a house!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

some stuff i can do, some my boyfriend can do, and i have 2 friends that can do my duct work and hard wood floors.
the stuff i need licensed pros to do is, furnace installation in the crawl (done yesterday), plumbing (basically anything that can leak, DOES leak), sewer line cleaning, and a new electrical box installed as well as running power to my garage!

anything else i'm up for doing myself!

i think on a note to the original topic, i am gonna trust this guy to come tomorrow at 8am. if he doesnt show this time, i'll have learned my lesson the hard way twice ;)

so... i just bought a house! yay!!

i've got some issues from the home inspection that need fixed. a big part of the problems are with the plumbing. i had 4 estimates for the plumbing workk and i scheduled the most knowledageble guy to do the work starting this morning. this was after him not answering my calls and me having to threaten him by saying i'd use someone else if he didnt return my calls!

so the ass hat doesnt show up today or call me back after 4 calls and being late. last call i left him a vm saying if i didnt hear back in an hour id use someone else. well he called right away and gave me some bs about having truck problems and he'd call me back in an hour. that was 4 hours ago and hasnt picked up my last call either..... *go figure, he JUST called me as i was typing this!*.... he says his car wont be done today and that he'll come tomorrow at 8am.

do i trust that after all the bs ive dealt with him? i'm new to this whole scene, but i was looking for some advice in finding trustworthy workers that are reliable. i know its subject to different cities. but i dont know too many homeowners in denver to ask for referrals.

this is problably typical behavior for some people, but i'm NOT used to it at all. geez, it almost makes me wish i had gone into contracting and could do all that stuff myself!

http://www.pipe208.com/;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

this is why they are called independent contractors, cause they do whatever they want, when they want, most of them have been fired from "real" jobs because they are unreliable
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

If you think your plumber is a pain now, wait until you pay him and he's about half way through the job. Sack him now and save yourself the trouble.

is this typical? i think i remember him saying i had to pay half the amount before he starts and the other half upon completion. what does that say about his service? i dont believe in paying any money until the job is DONE... am i right or what?

this was after him not answering my calls and me having to threaten him by saying i'd use someone else if he didnt return my calls!

We MUSt have the same plumber. :| Dunno how he got from the Seattle area down to Colorado...but it's gotta be the same guy. :S

Was he also really sleezey? :S The last warranty plumber we had was some slimeball that did the EXACT same thing and just kept coming up with BS excuses....

On the other hand, I have 2 REALLY cute twin 10 year old boys that have 'plumber butt' issues with their jeans that I could send over to ya! :ph34r::)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

is this typical? i think i remember him saying i had to pay half the amount before he starts and the other half upon completion. what does that say about his service? i dont believe in paying any money until the job is DONE... am i right or what?

Call a general contractor (Ask for their estimating department) in your area and ask who the reliable plumbers are. They should be helpful. You will not get the cheapest guy - but the work is insured and guaranteed.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Bingo, if you are not doing the work yourself make sure he is fully insured and bonded. Plumbing isn't that hard is you look up your local codes. Sewer work and anything into the street gets complicated and its easier to call the pros for that.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its not unusual, but what I am saying is if you're already having trouble getting him to return calls or even show up at this point, its only going to get worse after you put some money in his pocket.

Call Art Chaput. He's done work on my house and I know his CPA firm;). I can vouch for him. He will come out and give you a free estimate.

i just found the plumbers business card and his license # is on it.

is there any resource to look up his number to see if he's legit or find out more dirty info on him?:)

BBB

You can check on line at the Better Buisiness Bureau.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

if the dude doesnt show, i'll definately call him.is his pricing good?

You get what you pay for. He's competitive, but he is not a working out of his garage type of guy.

edit: I just checked the troubleshooter referral list and Chaput was number one.

is there any resource to look up his number to see if he's legit or find out more dirty info on him?:)

BBB

You can check on line at the Better Buisiness Bureau.

just looked there... it only lists business that are members. there's no where to search for a license number?

I had my own company for years. Half down, half upon completion. Materials cost money ya know. At least it covers your time and materials if the customer decides to fuck YOU;)

BBB

I had my own company for years. Half down, half upon completion. Materials cost money ya know. At least it covers your time and materials if the customer decides to fuck YOU

Here I disagree. I will NEVER give money up front to any contractor. Not saying anyone here falls into the following category, but if the contractor doesn't have a good enough line of credit to get the materials to the jobsite, they don't work for me. Once the materials are onsite, I'll cut a check for the material portion. I know of way too many people burned by 1/2 up front, 1/2 upon completion con artists.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I had my own company for years. Half down, half upon completion. Materials cost money ya know. At least it covers your time and materials if the customer decides to fuck YOU

Here I disagree. I will NEVER give money up front to any contractor. Not saying anyone here falls into the following category, but if the contractor doesn't have a good enough line of credit to get the materials to the jobsite, they don't work for me. Once the materials are onsite, I'll cut a check for the material portion. I know of way too many people burned by 1/2 up front, 1/2 upon completion con artists.

Sorry. I beg to differ. I got fucked to many times by customers. Small business just starting and no credit.

great... today was a waste!

now my sewer line guy just bailed on me too for today. he wont come until the plumbing work is done.

hopefully my electrician shows up on monday and the damn plumber keeps his word for tomorrow.

i guess i better just get used to dealing with this shit since im a homeowner now:S