alanab

how do you find reliable workers (plumbing)?

I bought my first house when I was 19 and reasonably handy. I have since become REALLY handy, and other than major electrical problems, I'll tackle almost anything. I am an independent contractor specializing in landscaping, and I show up on time 99% of the time. If this guy has been unreliable on this one point, he will be unreliable on EVERYTHING else.
If your toilets leak, go to the SMALLEST hardware store you can find. They are the old independent ones, that have handymen working at them, not some minimum wage high school kid. Ask the guy how to repair the inside of the toilet. Tell him you want to replace the WHOLE works. It'll cost about 14 to 15 bucks in parts. Scrub the inside of the tank while it is empty, it will save hours of scrubbing the bowl in the future.
Buy yourself the parts to the toilet, TWO pairs of vise grips and spend a half a day getting to know your toilet. You will be glad you did, and you will be MILES ahead. This is something you will need to know for the future, so learn it now, and save yourself a FORTUNE in the future.
PS. Send me an email, and I'll give you my phone number and talk you thru it the first time, if you can't find a hardware store that has a real handyman. My hardware store has a couple of brothers that will come out and help with anything from a washer in a faucet to replacing a water heater, so go the little guys first, they make their reputation on service.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

i dont think it will be that easy... the toilet leaks because the old 70 year old lead flange/sweep needs replaced! the bath sink drain leaks, the tub stopped isnt functional, shower diverter isnt working, the drain pipes from the tub are both leaking a lot into the crawl space, kitchen sink faucet is leaking, dishwasher drain piping isnt draining properly into the disposal, the rear hose faucet in the back of the house is burst also leaking into the crawl.

yikes!

not to mention the low spot in the sewer line thats getting blasted (hopefully) tomorrow and the elerctrical work for monday.

i am excited to do my own projects though. i am moving a cabinet on the wall in the kitchen and blowing in attic insulation myself tomorrow!

Monkeycndo is right. I've been a licensed plumbing contractor since 1984. Don't EVER pay a contractor in advance. Pay when the job is complete to your satisfaction, or pay according to a previously agreed upon schedual as the work progresses. Professionals will give you a written estimate up front, will show up ON TIME and do what they said they would. You'll pay for a professional for sure, but you'll pay a lot more for shoddy work that eventually will have to be redone. The plumber you described is surely in the latter category. Dump him NOW.

Good luck!
Dave Crocco PC810629 "Protecting the health of the Nation since 1984."
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I had my own company for years. Half down, half upon completion. Materials cost money ya know. At least it covers your time and materials if the customer decides to fuck YOU;)

IIRC, a contractor is not allowed to do business that way in California. I'm thinking it is something like 10% max upfront, but you can charge materials as the expense accrues.