juanesky

Preferred altitud for Hop & Pops

students have to be open by 3 k so thats out of the question for me. if i'd packed for a quick opening i'd happily get out at 2 and a half,

i'd LOVE to do a hop and pop from the top (about 13k here)

loads of time to play around under canopy and really soak up the view

i've heard some dz's won't let you open above 3.5 ? is this true???
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

i've heard some dz's won't let you open above 3.5 ? is this true???

Depends on how busy they are, and what sort of instructions they get from any ATC that is around.

I like h'n'p's. But I started on SL, so its my bread and butter. If I'm at the DZ when they've got a SL course going, they'll send me up on the first load as the 'drifter'.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I did a hop n pop from 4g this week-end and I was given shit for opening low. I pulled at 3000 but I fly a spectre and I wasn't in the saddle until 2000.

I talked to lots of "big DZ" jumpers that never experienced the sphincter-tightening joy of jumping out low. Up in Canada, old-schoolers call it "going for a little air bath". I like it when the plane (Cessna) is climbing like a pregnant cow on humid days....

Marz

You had to do one from 5k, 4k and 3k as part of your AFF at my DZ. I was a peaking on the first one as the plane was being buffeted big time. My feet were leaving the floor of the plane before I jumped. But after the third I wanted to do one from 2k.
I had done static line jumps from 2k before.
My jumpmaster didn't understand all my winging as he had done them from 1k. I have spoken to people who have done them from 600ft.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

My jumpmaster didn't understand all my winging as he had done them from 1k. I have spoken to people who have done them from 600ft

Keep in mind that jumping from 1k was probably not done with modern skydiving gear..

2.5K is low enough for me..

I had done static line jumps from 2k before.
My jumpmaster didn't understand all my winging as he had done them from 1k. I have spoken to people who have done them from 600ft.

On military jumps, our first five jumps were at 1200, which at the time I did them, being the first ones ever, also had a cut away at about 800 ft (my guess for we did not use altimeters), we always did PLF and although that particular one was a very hard landing (mind you we were fully geared), I made it ok.

This weekend were my first jumps at those altitudes, but since it seemed that most of those there at the time gave me the impression that I was just nuts, I decided to ask an opinion from this site, which would get an world wide opinion.

I got to hear from old timers that very day, that some had done a 2 way at 2.5K one point and cya!

That really impressed me a lot.

I think that we should be prepared to make any low jump regardless of altitud and spot, just in case something goes very wrong on the flight, as well as becoming an advocate of water training for everyone regardless of the low experience.

Blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Our dz used to do H&P's from 5k out of the Otter, then we got a King Air, the price went up, the altitude went down (3K), and no cut on the engines so we have renamed it a High Speed Extraction! Tuck and roll, get sucked out, get stable asap, and deploy. "First" timers get about 5K and a slower pass, but after that it's HSE!
Do I hear a "YEEHAW!!" or a "WOO WOO"??
Attitude is everything!

Yup...and I learned from an AFF JM/former Screaming Eagle to keep my hand on the seatbelt release buckle. In case of an emergency, it would be a very bad time to be fumbling, looking around for the release! D'oh! And that's the whole point of H&P's (besides a cheaper jump)...to learn to exit and pull stable in an emergency. May I never experience the real thing......
Attitude is everything!

In the UK when doing AFF you have to do a Hop & Pop as your 8th jump to qualify.

I know when I was at Skydiving Space Centre with my girlfriend when she was doing AFF there the other students and low time jumpers thought she was carzy for suggesting that she did it on her 8th!

Anyway it good practise for the weather we have here in England!

-----------------------------------------------
"It's always a nice day above the clouds"

My first and only hop& pop to date was from 4K and I rolled over on my bridle. OOPs. All wen t well from there, I rolled back over and shook it off of my arm. It was a true hop and pop, so I was very sub terminal. The next guy out the door was a base jumper, and I bet he took a 20 second delay! I thought I could see the back yard he was going to bounce in! When we got down, he expressed concern for me?! I thought he was dead! I can't wait to do another hop and pop.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Very glad to read about your jump here in the Forum than in "Inncedents" in Parachutest! Nice job landing it on student status!!! :)

Thank you.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

talk about war stories... but hey at least your alove er alive

Thanks. I'm glad I'm hore, I mean, here, too. ;););)
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Mary, No real problem with the bungie pilot chute... It was just several years ago and we were getting out of a C-182 right below the cloud layer. I stepped off, threw out, waited, looked, and there was my pilot chute, just inflating as I transitioned face-to-earth.

It was all fine, I just remember it well...

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Yup...and I learned from an AFF JM/former Screaming Eagle to keep my hand on the seatbelt release buckle. In case of an emergency, it would be a very bad time to be fumbling, looking around for the release! D'oh! And that's the whole point of H&P's (besides a cheaper jump)...to learn to exit and pull stable in an emergency. May I never experience the real thing......

I will like to add that when you have sufficient flying skills like a lot of tunnel time, it is also a good way to practice canopy flying without traffic....That is also another advantage
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I voted 4K but I wouold rather 5. This actually has changed there was a time when I would ask for 3K. The reason I used to ask for 3 was because I wanted to jump land pack and meet the plane on as it landed to go again. Now that I can't afford to do 15 jumps a day, and that I have had line twists that take 8 spins during 8-10 seconds to kick out of, I prefer to just get 5K, land pack relaxed and skip a load before jumping again.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.