lkolkin

Anyone want to help defend the (relative) safety of our sport?

> Someone commented on his blog (for everyone to see) with the user
> name SKYDIVERS DIE about their personal experience with burying 12
> skydivers in 9 years.

I've had four close friends die in the 13 years I've been in the sport, and perhaps ten others that I knew have died. Another 4 or 5 that should have died, and just ended up paralyzed, crippled or made miraculous recoveries. So my experience is about the same as his. Doesn't mean skydiving is too dangerous, but I think it's wrong to try to make it appear that it's as safe as skiing (for example.)

I don't think she was trying to make it as safe as skiing at all. She took my on my first tandem. If anything, she has gone out of her way to tell me just how dangerous the sport is. Once I got hooked she went through painful detail about how, even if you are the safest, most diligent, most prepared jumper, things go wrong, and can go very wrong in a second. She has made the point to me that the best way to enjoy the sport is to learn everything you can, check everything three or four times, think through everything, mime your jump, make sure the DZ you go from is safe, that the people you are with are thorough.... and then just give yourself up to the air.

I'm very new, so I don't have the experience, but I it seems to me that I can lessen my chances of something terrible happeneing if I go through everything, try to prepare for whatever may come, and hope that I'm ready when it does. She's mentored me through this, and although I'm going into my 4th jump this weekend, I could not have asked for a better mentor.
---
"Once you jump. you'll never look up at the sky the same way again."
Peace

820 jumps / 9 years = <92 jumps/year

That leads me to believe this guy is probably an old-timer who jumped prior to a lot of the modern safety advancements. Loosing a friend every 1 1/3 year is a little extreme (he doesn't mention if any plane crashes were involved), but if he was jumping in the days prior to AAD's and other safety advancements, it's possible. They don't call these sports "extreme" for nothing.

625/5= 125 a year.

125-92= 33

Are you an old timer?

No, but I spent my first two years at an old-time drop zone that flew about fifteen 182 loads a weekend, and then I was held to about 25 jumps/year for about three years, for financial reasons. This guy could have had similar circumstances; my point was that his low jump numbers combined with his unusually high number of friends who died skydiving could indicate he jumped back when skydiving was a different animal than it is now.

--Douva

PS. I'm updating my profile to show that as of Tuesday, I have been in the sport six years, and as of Sunday, I have 636 jumps. So my average is actually only 106 jumps / year. 325 of my jumps were in the last year, so if you look at the 5 years before that, my average then was REALLY low.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I'm not sure that it's the "sport" itself that kills..I think it has more to do with the skydiver exceeding their limits. It's such a unique, rare sport that it gets media attention. Check out the incidents and fatalities associated to scuba diving, downhill skiing, and bicycle accidents...and don't get me started about the risk we all take getting behind the wheel of a car.

Everyone has a right to their perception of risk, but I feel that we live our lives to the fullest and when our time is up, it's up.

I think it has more to do with the skydiver exceeding their limits.

No, it doesn't - plenty of talented people who were not exceeding their limits die in ths sport. You can do everything right and still die. Yes, there's the handful of fatalities that were people just being stupid and doing something they didn't have experience for. But we as humans are exceeding our limits everytime we step out of the plane.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Yeah, but it's really hard to burn in when you exceed your limits playing golf.

Then it's obvious that you are playing golf wrong.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but it's really hard to burn in when you exceed your limits playing golf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then it's obvious that you are playing golf wrong.

Note to self...don't play golf with Rehm
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

he can burn in playing golf.

Must be Extreme Golfing, where you run around barefoot during thunderstorms and keep your irons pointing up:D

I wish you damn guffos would stop knocking my favorite pasttime....
The hardcore guys do the 18th hole naked.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I didn’t read every post here so I hope this isn’t a repeat. I like to equate skydiving to fishing. You sit around for hours for a few minutes of excitement. Also, just about everyone knows someone or of someone who died in a “fishing/boating” accident. Water is some dangerous shit! Put yourself out in the middle of a cold lake on a windy day, fall in and that could just be your ass! Also, combine the alcohol that goes along with fishing/boating and it can often lead to dire consequences.
I know it dosen't exactly equate, a hell more of a lot of people play in and around the water than skydive.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I have thought about this today. You guys say that this is a sport where you can do everything right, and still die. I agree with you. BUT, if we look at like 50 skydiving fatalities, how many of them do you think did EVERYTHING right and still died? I'm not experienced, but it seems like most people have done something wrong, minor or major mistakes.

IMO, each jumper can make his jumping more safe or more dangerous. Will I downsize to a stiletto 135? If I say no, I have made my sport safer. Will I try learning headdown jumping with three other newbies? If I say yes, I have made my sport more dangerous.

Yes, you can do everything right and still die. BUT, you can also do things to make jumping safer. Most of us won't quit jumping, so why don't we just concentrate on the safety-part of it?

Must be Extreme Golfing, where you run around barefoot during thunderstorms and keep your irons pointing up

Some people play it safe and hold up a 2-iron during the thunderstorms. Even God can't hit a 2-iron. ;)

:D I am going to shamelessly steal this joke for use at the golf course... ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Yes, you can do everything right and still die. BUT, you can also do things to make jumping safer. Most of us won't quit jumping, so why don't we just concentrate on the safety-part of it?

Agreed. Every year, it seems that half of the people who die every year were not doing everything right. They were doing low, high-speed turns wrong and whacked themselves.

I agree that there is stuff that people can do to make jumping safer. I actively promote that. I am a gear-check nazi. I also attend every seminar that comes around.

The primary theme of the thread was "How do I reply to people about how dangerous skydiving is?"
It isn't all about dying. The danger can be from busting the crap out of yourself. That is the larger danger that isn't discussed.

If you are asking, "Is skydiving dangerous?" Yes, very. You can totally f-up yourself and maybe die.
"Will I die?" Probably not.
"Can I do everything right and still f-up myself?" Yep.
"Can I limit the danger through good practices?" Yes, lower it, but you can't eliminate it.

This is a sport whose news magazine has an obituary page. We have an incidents forum with no lack of entries.

Skydiving is not safe. I never tell anyone that it is. I don't encourage people to skydive, they have to want to - a lot.

>I like to equate skydiving to fishing.

Except if you forget to cast you don't die.

If you forgot to cast because you drank a case of beer, fall in and drown then indeed you just may die.
Also, if you and your SO aren’t getting along very well, you may want to think twice about going fishing with them. The “boating accident” is too easy to stage, and after there’s only one story. Be careful not to put a shoe shaped burse on his/her ass when you’re kicking them in!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Every year, it seems that half of the people who die every year were not doing everything right.

My impression is that it's more like 9/10 or so.. is that just me? Well, I guess it depends on what you call a mistake.. using to much time to fight a spinning mal and not have sufficient time to make the reserve inflate is a mistake. You're the experienced one, I'm not. any opinions?