gNemo

Eloy boogie - the drawback of the road trip - can you help?

Hey Guys,

I had an awsome time and the holiday boogie in Eloy, met many-many awsome guys. Thank you very much for that.

Me and my buddy Kevin were driving from Connecticut, and I was the unfortunate one to experience the drawbacks of a road-trip, namely speeding tickets.

I got a reckless driving court date in Virgina (84 in a 65) and a ticket to get in touch with a judge in Texas (82 in a 70).

Now I know some of you guys must be from those states, and I just wanted to ask for help. What do you guys think I should do, how can I get come out of the situation with the least amount of trouble. I am an international student here in the US, so this would really screw me having stuff like this on my record.

Please get back to me, I am pretty scared...

Thanks a bunch

Blue ones,
Nemo

I'm not a lawyer, don't take the following as such. Its just simply something I've figured out from a couple of tickets over the last couple of years and a little practical experience with how traffic laws work in TX.

The TX ticket is just a speeding ticket. Its a class C offense, not the end of the world. On the back of the copy of the ticket should be information to contact the municipal court or the JP (Justice of the Peace) that will be presiding over your case. You can ask for a court date and fight the ticket (which will require you or at least your lawyer being there), you can plea guilty or sometimes you can plea nolo contrinde (sp?).

Call the phone number during normal business hours (M-F 8-5) and ask about defensive driving. Then you can take an online defensive driving course and keep the ticket off your record. Or you may just have to pay the ticket and take the hit on your insurance.

Good luck and fucking slow down! The last two dead bodies I had to cut out of cars had to do with speeding.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You must be brown.

Not really - but he does have a slight Hungarian accent ;) My guess is that the cop just thought he looked like a young punk. Nemo, dude, from Connecticut to Arizona, we fly :D 2500 miles driving, whew. Heck, I flew from Colorado, and that's about 1/3 the distance. You're gonna spend more on gas than a plane ticket. And you can't get a speeding ticket flying.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Jus like Dave said with the TX ticket, you may be able to get the ticket taken off your record with a defensive driving course online. It worked for me with an Arizona ticket driving from Eloy to Yuma.

The reckless driving ticket your best bet may be to contact an attorney and see if they can work out a deal for you, they know the laws and the loopholes better than anyone.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Aggie Dave is right but i wanted to throw out one more option for the TX ticket, when you do get in touch with the judge, you can also ask for deferred ajudication. You will pay a court fee and that is it, however if you get another traffic ticket in the next three months then you owe for both. it is like probation. The worst they can say is NO and you still owe the same amount. I have no idea how it works with out of staters though.

And like Riddler said, for those distances we Fly!:P

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

were you in that TV commercial (about a NEW car) where these dudes were lost I think and they come up to a direction sign " Eloy 24miles and LA 1??miles some miles???? "

I thought it was cool to see Eloy advertised for something other than jumpin!!

Sorry i dont have any adv about the courts!!:);)

Okay I am sorry but I need to rant...!
Why am I not surprised that these two tickets come from those states... I personally avoid Texas at all costs.
I have been there about 4 times in my life... first time I was 2 yrs old... I got the chicken pox and my brother almost died from them... second time I almost got run over by a cop bc I was "speeding" and since he drove over the intersection right at me at dusk I didn't signal to switch lanes... I had been driving 20 hrs straight when he pulled me over. Anyways 3rd time I flew through Texas and had a 3.5 hr delay due to a broken plane... 4th and final time there was freezing rain and for some reason Texas must not believe in salting the roads... it took me 1.5 hrs to drive 6 miles... As soon as I made it in Oklahoma it was smooth driving... I mean it... once you cross the border there was salt on the road!
Virginia is always lined with cops... I did a lot of driving the past 3 weeks but the only states I actually drive the speed limit is Texas and Virginia... and alas I didn't get any tickets.. I did get a close call in Virginia (the cop got the person behind me) in Virginia... lucky me bc I was going 20 over...
Okay I am done with my rant... I hate Texas and Texas hates me... I'm okay with that.

Hey Guys,

I had an awsome time and the holiday boogie in Eloy, met many-many awsome guys. Thank you very much for that.

Me and my buddy Kevin were driving from Connecticut, and I was the unfortunate one to experience the drawbacks of a road-trip, namely speeding tickets.

I got a reckless driving court date in Virgina (84 in a 65) and a ticket to get in touch with a judge in Texas (82 in a 70).

Now I know some of you guys must be from those states, and I just wanted to ask for help. What do you guys think I should do, how can I get come out of the situation with the least amount of trouble. I am an international student here in the US, so this would really screw me having stuff like this on my record.

Please get back to me, I am pretty scared...

Thanks a bunch

Blue ones,
Nemo

Hire a traffic lawyer in both states. They can appear on your behalf, i.e. you wont have to go back to that state, and most often can get your ticket to not show up on any insurance records.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I came up with a letter draft to the Texas judge. what do you guys think?

Dear Honorable Judge,

I received the enclosed ticket on 01/01/2008 while driving on Route xx at Milepost xx (Ticket Number: xxx). I was coming from Eloy, Arizona from a skydiving trip, heading back to my school in Smithfield, Rhode Island. I have been driving for a long time and I still had many miles more to go. The roads were empty on the morning New Year’s Day and I was speaking to my friend – the passenger in the car – to be sure to stay awake and stay safe on the road. Yes, your Honor, I was probably going faster than the posted speed limit. I am sorry and I promise to never do it again. I am a Hungarian international student and this could greatly affect my future in America. I have never gotten a speeding ticket before, and I am not planning on getting another one either. I am more than willing to accept the consequences of my actions; all I ask is the court’s consideration. If you can reduce the charge and send me to a driver’s safety course I will gladly do that, I will not disappoint you by having to write a letter to you again. If I do, I will cheerfully accept the full punishment.

Sincerely,

I am sorry and I promise to never do it again even though I did it again just after I got busted in Texas. I am a Hungarian international student and this could greatly affect my future in America. I have never gotten a speeding ticket before, and I am not planning on getting another one either unless you count the one I got in Virginia after I left Texas but before I got back to my home in Rhode Island.

Should work. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not to long ago I got a reckless in Virginia (76 in a 55) on route 29. Went to court on my own and was very apologetic for the speeding, the judge then asked me "didn't you realize you were going that fast". Lucky for me I had been driving a rental car and my normal car couldn't have gone that fast down hill. I had the proof of the rental and title for my normal car, the judge drop the ticket down to speeding mentioned learning how to use cruise control and had me pay a hefty fine.

Being sincerely sorry and a reason for the laps in judgment might help.

Have you called the court yet to find out what your options are? Deferred or doing defensive driving? I would do that before firing off some letter, otherwise you're just pissing in the wind.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Admitting that you were speeding while trying to keep from falling asleep at the wheel would not be a good idea in my opinion.

You might as well mention the Vodka drink you had in your lap. They're both just as dangerous.

Yes, and skip the line about skydiving, change it to something like vacationing with a friend in your beautiful state, while I was learning about American culture.
Skydiving brings up thoughts of crazy people in some arenas, and judges are usually rather staid people.
He wants to know that you CHOSE to come to his state, to spend money, and that you are European, where they drive faster. He may have a little place in his heart for a visitor. In his state, most visitors sneak in and NEVER go home.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Dude! That and who was the gal that was gonna kick your ass at Eloy after you called her "old"??!? Actually, she was way not-old, kinda cute even ;)... and I'm sure her husband would agree...:S:$:)

In the future... two words for you... "Cruise Control"... and that doesn't mean set it on 80 in a 65... :P:D

Anyway, have you tried to get a hold of the Court Clerk in either jurisdiction to see if you have to appear? You want to do that BEFORE the court date. Otherwise, they will (could) likely issue a bench warrant for your arrest and if you're ever pulled over in that state again...

More...

I came up with a letter draft to the Texas judge. what do you guys think?

Dear Honorable Judge,

I received the enclosed ticket on 01/01/2008 while driving on Route xx at Milepost xx (Ticket Number: xxx). I was coming from Eloy, Arizona from a skydiving trip, heading back to my school in Smithfield, Rhode Island. I have been driving for a long time and I still had many miles more to go. The roads were empty on the morning New Year’s Day and I was speaking to my friend – the passenger in the car – to be sure to stay awake and stay safe on the road. Yes, your Honor, I was probably going faster than the posted speed limit. I am sorry and I promise to never do it again. I am a Hungarian international student and this could greatly affect my future in America. I have never gotten a speeding ticket before, and I am not planning on getting another one either. I am more than willing to accept the consequences of my actions; all I ask is the court’s consideration. If you can reduce the charge and send me to a driver’s safety course I will gladly do that, I will not disappoint you by having to write a letter to you again. If I do, I will cheerfully accept the full punishment.

Sincerely,
Nemo

You do know that in Texas its legal to use deadly force (i.e. shoot someone) to defend your property if they are on your property after dark without your permission?

I LOVE Texas.

I don't think you'll get anywhwere at all with that letter.

Get in touch with the Court in that jurisdiction is where I'd start and BEFORE the court date on the ticket. I'd hope for not having to go back to Texas to appear.

Hopefully LawRocket or Nightingale (sp?) will wonder through here and enlighten us.

Okay I am sorry but I need to rant...!
Why am I not surprised that these two tickets come from those states... I personally avoid Texas at all costs.
I have been there about 4 times in my life... first time I was 2 yrs old... I got the chicken pox and my brother almost died from them... second time I almost got run over by a cop bc I was "speeding" and since he drove over the intersection right at me at dusk I didn't signal to switch lanes... I had been driving 20 hrs straight when he pulled me over. Anyways 3rd time I flew through Texas and had a 3.5 hr delay due to a broken plane... 4th and final time there was freezing rain and for some reason Texas must not believe in salting the roads... it took me 1.5 hrs to drive 6 miles... As soon as I made it in Oklahoma it was smooth driving... I mean it... once you cross the border there was salt on the road!
Virginia is always lined with cops... I did a lot of driving the past 3 weeks but the only states I actually drive the speed limit is Texas and Virginia... and alas I didn't get any tickets.. I did get a close call in Virginia (the cop got the person behind me) in Virginia... lucky me bc I was going 20 over...
Okay I am done with my rant... I hate Texas and Texas hates me... I'm okay with that.

That ain't no rant, that be a very long winded whine......:( So, you were speeding.....driving tired.......and had some water on the road........and that makes you...HATE Texas? Like you said, Texas doesn't want you!!!:D

She actually doesn't have a husband and we were hanging out a couple times during the rest of the boogie. I made great friends with her and her boyfriend. :) I just like the unorthodox ways haha

Damn! They weren't married!!!??? That means I might have had a chance of cuttin' her away from him... :P

Aggie Dave is right but i wanted to throw out one more option for the TX ticket, when you do get in touch with the judge, you can also ask for deferred ajudication. You will pay a court fee and that is it, however if you get another traffic ticket in the next three months then you owe for both. it is like probation. The worst they can say is NO and you still owe the same amount. I have no idea how it works with out of staters though.

And like Riddler said, for those distances we Fly!:P

Yup about $120 bucks and it gone, been there and done that a few times as I passed thru Tx. Except I just got one in Dallas and they want me to come back for the court date, I cant mail anything in and get it, freakn nuts........... Houston or any other county you just mail it in with the fee. Anyone know how to get around that?