happythoughts

For 2008, what is your number?

This year, I ordered new gear. My cypres was becoming a paperweight and I needed a new container.
I had around 1900 jumps on 150s and had a 150 for my reserve. (Without gear, I am a very sexy 200 lbs.;))

This year, I was sliding it in and my bootie toe hooked a root and twisted my ankle. I limped for about 6 weeks. Nothing damaged really, just inconvenience.

People always say, "The chances of that are one in a hundred..."

A lot of fun jumpers do between 100-200 jumps a year.
People working in the sport 800-1000.

So, if we are talking about stuff that hurts... not so good. For fun jumpers, that's like once a year. :o

I decided that I wanted to upsize. I put a 160 reserve in and a 170 main.

So, what's your number?

One in a 100, a thousand?
A fractured something every 1000 jumps?
For 2000 jumps, that wouldn't make me happy.
Some stuff bugs you for a long time.

My personal goal, I'm going for the "NOT" number.
No broke parts. :)None in 5000.

My wish for 2008 is that everyone would set goals, but just arrive at them safely. :)

Get some training. Talk to people. Practice. Get it right for 50 jumps, not just 5.

Let's play together this year... and 10 years from now.

Blue Skies and Fun jumps.
:)

I've only broken one bone, the radius bone at my wrist when I banged it on the door frame of an Otter on exit during the New Jersey 100 ways. Another time I sprained both ankles trying to land in 30+ mph winds under a 235 when I weighed 150. So, my two worst injuries in 1200+ jumps. Then you factor in a couple of riser slap incidents bloodying my fingers and my face, and a little road rash trying to avoid a collision by landing over asphalt.

Nothing for a long time. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've only broken one bone, the radius bone at my wrist when I banged it on the door frame of an Otter on exit during the New Jersey 100 ways. Another time I sprained both ankles trying to land in 30+ mph winds under a 235 when I weighed 150. So, my two worst injuries in 1200+ jumps. Then you factor in a couple of riser slap incidents bloodying my fingers and my face, and a little road rash trying to avoid a collision by landing over asphalt.

Nothing for a long time. :)

Glad you have been well.

A couple of days ago, I was center on the 2nd row of divers on an Otter.

I turned to the guy on my right and said, "We are diving straight out, not cutting the corner. If we don't come straight out, we will push the rear diver into the door frame."

I always remind people of that because I know a lot of tail-side divers with injuries from that. (Also, I do an immediate center-point turn into a dive and actually get there faster.:)

I'm 2 for 6300 if you don't count bumps and bruises.

1 for 6300 if you count injuries that stopped me from jumping, but then I can't recommend doing tandems with cracked ribs anymore.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm 2 for 6300 if you don't count bumps and bruises.

1 for 6300 if you count injuries that stopped me from jumping, but then I can't recommend doing tandems with cracked ribs anymore.

okay, by that standard, I'm 1 for 1270 for the broken radius bone. I was back jumping for the next 12 straight weekends after spraining both ankles because my friend didn't want me to get scared later. I just wore two pairs of socks and hi-top hiking boots for the first 3 weekends until the pain went away. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This thread reaks of Murphy's law!

People skydive/pack/land in a certain way.

On my old Sabre One, I got an opening that spanked me about every 80-100 jumps for no apparent reason. (S-1 jumpers can nod their heads in an agreeing fashion now.)

People accept that they may be pushing things close to an edge because they are ok with that "one in 200" chance.

I just think that people should think about what that really means.

Even "one in 500" really isn't acceptable. At 150 jumps a year, that is an injury every 3 years.

Skills that usually work are not really good enough.
Example - Dialing in that swoop altitude may mean making an extra 20 jumps at that 15 ft level before bringing it down. So it takes an extra 6 weeks to get there, so what?

Any skill where the jumper says "I can do it 99 out of 100 times" is the topic. That means that one bad one will happen this year. :o

This is the "what did I just say?" thread.

I'm 0 in 2300 for broken bones.

I'm 1 in 2300 for injuries (torn MCL/ACL).

This year has some serious goals for me and a big year of training, travel and fun. Needless to say I'm excited and having a LOT of fun working towards my goals.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Haven't broken a bone (knock on wood).

I did sprain/dislocate my right thumb 3 times in 166 or so jumps. :S All within a short period of time. I just kept hooking my stupid ol' thumb into the ground when I'd fall to the right...and of course repetitive injury on a joint makes it more vulnerable in the future. I'd forget that it was weak and hook my gear over that thumb to try to get my shoulder straps on. >yeowch<. stupid.>
It was just a dumb habit I had a hard time breaking, but I did take care of it prior to ending my short and undistinguished jumping career...

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

This year, I ordered new gear. My cypres was becoming a paperweight and I needed a new container.
I had around 1900 jumps on 150s and had a 150 for my reserve. (Without gear, I am a very sexy 200 lbs.;))

This year, I was sliding it in and my bootie toe hooked a root and twisted my ankle. I limped for about 6 weeks. Nothing damaged really, just inconvenience.

People always say, "The chances of that are one in a hundred..."

A lot of fun jumpers do between 100-200 jumps a year.
People working in the sport 800-1000.

So, if we are talking about stuff that hurts... not so good. For fun jumpers, that's like once a year. :o

I decided that I wanted to upsize. I put a 160 reserve in and a 170 main.

So, what's your number?

One in a 100, a thousand?
A fractured something every 1000 jumps?
For 2000 jumps, that wouldn't make me happy.
Some stuff bugs you for a long time.

My personal goal, I'm going for the "NOT" number.
No broke parts. :)None in 5000.

My wish for 2008 is that everyone would set goals, but just arrive at them safely. :)

Get some training. Talk to people. Practice. Get it right for 50 jumps, not just 5.

Let's play together this year... and 10 years from now.

Blue Skies and Fun jumps.
:)

Holy Crap, you did all that in 2 days? you are aware that when you say THIS YEAR it was already 2008,right?:D
My photos

My Videos

0 for lifetime on skydiving broken bones.

1 in 800 for twisted knee on night jump tree landing.

3 in 60 for Cessna182 blood.

If you haven't got blood on a 182, you haven't been trying hard enough.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Holy Crap, you did all that in 2 days? you are aware that when you say THIS YEAR it was already 2008,right?Laugh

Time is relative. Don't they teach anything in college these days?

Remember that 3 hours that you spent with relatives on Christmas day discussing your life? Seemed like forever, didn't it?

I'll bet you are going to go on and on about that am/pm thing next. ;)

I'm coming up on 10 years and 3000 jumps.

So far, zero trips to the hospital and zero reserve rides, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I hadn't had a sprain or two over the course of time.

To me, the issue is not so much the major injuries, but all the micro ones that add up over the course of time. Tiny tears within the tissues that never quite heal perfectly and linger for years.

The longer I'm at it the more respect I have for the folks that jumped rounds and are STILL in the sport. Holy crap, they must be made out of stronger stuff than I ever was.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My number is zero broken bones in almost 4500 jumps / 29.5 years in sport.

One serious accident in 1991 where I hit a canopy in freefall. B|

A handful of bumps and bruises that were annoying but not debilitating.

Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

The longer I'm at it the more respect I have for the folks that jumped rounds and are STILL in the sport. Holy crap, they must be made out of stronger stuff than I ever was.

Or maybe just dumber.:$

I'm 4 for 4900+, so about 1 in a thousand. Nothing worse than a broken rib, bad sprains, or cracked leg bone. But it still sucked. B|

Ok its kind of embarrassing but,

I have 44 jumps. Jump 2 I sublocated my shoulder in FF then broke my ankle on landing. Jump 5 my shoulder fully dislocated so I had surgery to fix it. Jump 42 I broke my nose on exit. Jump 44 compound tib fib requiring surgery to put a rod in my tibia.

So my # is 1 in 11:S:(

Fly like a girl

If I thought I was going to get hurt skydiving, or driving my car, or flying my jet, I'd not do it.

My problem is that everytime I strap one of these things on, I really believe that I can do it safely, without hurting myself or someone else.

Golly, I'd love to keep the streak going.

Fingers crossed.